Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 07-08-2006, 07:11 AM   #1
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Editorial: Hollister Motorcycle Rally?

They say businesses "lost money" but don't say which businesses and how much. It's likely that that claim is BS. If only 10,000 people show up with a pocketful of money to burn I doubt that a lot of businesses "lost money". Certainly people who sell beer, sour cream and onion potatoe chips and beef jerky made a killing. Since it's mostly HDs then the people who sell oil did well too. Maybe they meant that the businesses didn't get to profiteer off of tourists as much as they would have liked to. That doesn't mean they "lost money" it just means that they didn't get to rip off as many tattooed drunks as previous years.

The city lost money, but the incompetence of politicians and bureaucrats usually guarantees that anyhow. It's probably from the cost of all that engine oil pouring out into the streets and gutters. They never would have had that problem at all if the city govt had listened to the 58% of the public who wanted the rally rather than that @$$hole Sheriff who said, "People are tired of it".... meaning himself. Then the city would have been prepared and could have handed out disposable drip pans to duct tape under all those Harleys.

Oh well, nothing gets the do-gooder's panties in a wad like a bunch of people having fun.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-08-2006, 07:54 AM   #2
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

And here I always thought is was a free country, and you could gather where you want and have some fun. Guess that ain't so anymore. Who gives a crap if there were businesses lost money. That should be of no concern to those that showed up and did what they wanted to do. As long as nobody was harassed or injured, then 'being tired of it' is THIER problem. Maybe if everyone just went about their own business, and quit worrying themseves into a frenzy every time 'bikers' show up, they wouldn't give a damn if they showed up or not.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:14 AM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

The right to assembly is only allowed if the govt sez it's okay. Haven't you been keeping up? I mean, if people assemble without the authorization of some crooked car dealers who bribed their way onto the City Council they might do something that costs the public a few bucks! Maybe even impact healthcare costs! Can't have that.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:16 AM   #4
Fenton
Founding Member

How do you take a loss when there is no rally? Unless the arrival of 10,000 bikers scared off a greater number of "regular" customers. B.S.

If you have an influx of 10,000 people visiting your town and you fail to make a profit; blame yourself.

Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 11:38 AM   #5
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

I have to agree. The City of Hollister claims that they were "stuck" with a $250,000 "security bill" from the '05 Rally. I have to ask, exactly *HOW* much did they TAKE from sales taxes, assorted fees, etc. during the '05 Rally? They seem to be falling all over themselves to stage one NEXT year.

Perhaps someone tallied-up the fees they're missing, and stuck it under the Mayor's nose typed in #42 Boldface Arial, highlighted in Red............

Someone might point-out that sales taxes go to the State. I don't know how it works in CAlifornication, but in MO they have what is known as "Turnback Funds" that the State gives to cities and counties according to their millage and the ratio of taxes collected within that district.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 12:25 PM   #6
bmwbob50
Founding Member

I've lived in Hollister for the last 15 years and always looked forward to the bikes coming to town. I ride a Norton 850 Commando and not into the biker thing, but there a lot more fun watching than people watching at the mall.

It just hurts my head how we have 100,000 people come to town and lose money! Last year they were going to charge $5.00 to park and I couldn't find anyone to give my money too! The vendors must love Hollister because there's no one making sure they're paying sales tax! The cops must love it because they get all the overtime they want for walking around! No wonder we lost money!

I was told there were just as many cops this year as last, just in case. Friday before the 4th there were more cops walking around than bikers!

bmwbob50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 02:43 PM   #7
Ssmitty
Founding Member

Sure hope you know more about anything else than you do about Harleys. That oil leak thing mostly stopped years ago - welcome to 2006.
Ssmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 02:53 PM   #8
seruzawa
The Toad

You ever heard of the phrase "tongue in cheek"?
Old 07-08-2006, 03:10 PM   #9
Fenton
Founding Member

Judging from the profile, I believe "Trial by fire" may be the phrase of the day.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 05:00 PM   #10
HornetRider
Founding Member

Seems the Hollister folks ought take a ride north to Billings and find out how to make it work. They seem to be able to have fun and make money for the local economy.

http://www.billingsgazette.net/artic...45-rally_g.txt
HornetRider is offline   Reply With Quote