Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 07-05-2006, 08:33 PM   #21
Thruxomatic
Founding Member

Default Re: Youth and Police Radars. Not a Good Mix.

144 is slow? You kids and your sportbikes.

My Thruxton tops out at 120 and no one in their right mind would want to ride it at that speed unless it was on a controlled road with a good surface. I topped the ton the other day and was hunkered way down on the tank just to keep the wind blast down. I guarantee you I had more fun doing that measly 100 mph than most sportbike riders doing 150 mph.

Pretty much all bikes are fun ridden at the edge of their performance envelope, so I guess I wonder why people would buy bikes with an envelope that puts them well into "lose your licence if you live" territory when they could have a ton of fun with a slower bike, anyway.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-06-2006, 01:43 AM   #22
bigdx
Founding Member

You forgot "overweight, drunk, unskilled and an orthodontist"
bigdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 02:14 AM   #23
Gritboy
Founding Member

Here, here for a graduated licensing program in the States. Oh wait... we can barely manage to license modest portion of drivers/riders in the U.S. The "unlicensed" statistics are frightening, but I'd love to see a more rational licensing and penalty system.
Gritboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:19 AM   #24
oldtim
Founding Member

Yeah, even an old fart like me has done that...
oldtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 04:27 AM   #25
seruzawa
The Toad

When Chuck Norris is riding his motorcycle at 144mph all the radar guns displays say "Back off!"
Old 07-06-2006, 04:29 AM   #26
seruzawa
The Toad

You don't spend much time at the Burger Barn comparing magazine stats, do you?
Old 07-06-2006, 05:03 AM   #27
sarnali
Founding Member

I got 110 out of my Bonnie the other day just to listen to my TOR's and Norman Hyde Bellmouth intake......

Nothin' sounds as good as a snarly Triumph twin at 5 or 6 K
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 05:39 AM   #28
BorgBiker
Registered Member

Default Youth and Stupidity: Not a good mix.

I was once young and stupid too. Had a lot of fun, and an awful lot of pain. In 1990, at 20 I was on a ZX11, and I was arrested for evasion. The fact is that I didn't know that anyone was after me. Only when I slowed down to street legal speeds did I see lights gaining in my mirror. It had been at least 10 minutes since I had slowed down, so I was speeding that I didn't think someone would be chasing me - so I moved to the right lane to let them by. I couldn't believe it when I was pulled over. I had a good lawyer, but man that cost me so much.

Then a few years later (not learning my lesson) I boneheadedly managed to wreck and broke my femur (among other things). I have a good amount of titanium in my leg - that cost a bundle. I got back on bikes after a few years of recovery. But I finally, finally learned self control. I've since had 10 years of event free riding, even though I have gone just as fast as I had previously. I just figured out how to enjoy the ride. Safely.

I remember when the ZX11 came out, many were saying the same thing. "They've gone and done it now! The government's gonna outlaw fast bikes!"

Well, more than a decade later and the faster, quicker ZZR1200 that replaced it was considered a sport touring bike. We have 600's that are as quick, 750's that are quicker and many Open Class bikes have 30-50 more horsepower than my old ZX11 - the horsepower king for 7 years (1990-1996).

I don't think high powered bikes will become outlawed unless there can be some sort of proof that they are more dangerous. It seems to me that people getting 170+ hp bikes are more respectful of the power, and less likely to be careless.

I think youth and inexperience are key factors in most "high speed" incidents, whether they end in a ticket or a crash. When an 18 year old thinks that a 160+mph bike that hits 60 in 3 seconds is a great first bike, there's something wrong. All of these 600's are as quick and as fast as the late '80s FZR1000, a bike that was "experts only" when new. Why is it that we think that because the performance threshold of motorcycles increases, our skills increase with them?

When I go to a bike hangout, I see plenty of 600 repli-racers with crash damage, but seemingly ever 100cc sportbike is clean and shiny (okay, I've seen a few GSXR 1000's needing some work). Every 'Busa I've seen was nice, clean, and untainted by scratches. Same with ZX12's. I doubt the ZX14 will be any different in that aspect.

I have loved bikes for over 30 years now, and my dad made sure I wore a helmet, got a license, and was insured. I took the MSF course when I was 15, and I got my m/c license in 1985, the day I turned 16. I started on a 19 hp Honda 350F four cylinder, because the twins were so "uncool". That little bike kept me entertained, (it would pull 100 on the speedo) and ALIVE. If I had gotten the 900 Ninja I WANTED, I probably wouldn't be typing this right now. Lord knows I barely made it through in spite of all my preparation.

If the the government does do anything, I hope it's something smart, like licensing based on skills and experience. I want a ZX14, and after living through my "stupid years" I think I deserve one! I promise I won't go fast... much!

BorgBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 05:42 AM   #29
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Chuck Norris does not ride 144 mph. He sits still and the earth spins beneath him 144 mph.

That's why his hair doesn't blow.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 05:44 AM   #30
bollert
Registered Member

What a weird thread this is - 144 not fast? Gimme a break. Tell it to the judge! Now if you're talking race track or Bonneville, it's a different story, but triple digits on the street is moronic. I can be a moron at times.
bollert is offline   Reply With Quote