Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 07-04-2006, 07:28 AM   #1
nicoduc
Founding Member

Default Re: K&N vs. BMC vs. OEM

Firts
nicoduc is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-04-2006, 07:40 AM   #2
Fenton
Founding Member

Default Here we go again.

I don't think you are going to see any gains with the aftermarket filter unless your stock one is obstructed with 7 years of crap. The short answer is you only need more air in if you plan on pumping more air out("change exhaust)

Good luck.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 07:59 AM   #3
acecycleins
Founding Member

I use K&N filters for my bike and there is a hp gain that you not even notice with your "seat of the pants" dyno. The reason- flows more air. Oiled filters my be messy but they last forever if you follow the care instructions. As for your bike- It's a 99 ZX 6r- it's worth around $3500. Don't spend money on hot rodding it. Just ride and be happy. If you want some suspension work done to tighten it up fine, but spending money on motor hop-ups is a waste of money on that year bike. You'll never see a return and there is NO WAY you can make that bike compete head to head with todays 600 supersort bikes.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:06 AM   #4
anrajala
Founding Member

Firts?

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 08:50 AM   #5
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: K&N vs. BMC vs. JC Penney

I use socks. Argyle works bestus.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:35 AM   #6
red916
Founding Member

Sixth post! Fcuk yeah! I'm money yo.
red916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 09:45 AM   #7
sarnali
Founding Member

You have to do the total package to get the full benefit. K&N-jets-exhaust. You have to look at the engine as an air pump. A K&N or any other free flowing filter lets more air in, re-jetting allows you to add more fuel to match the increased air flow and a properly tuned exhaust allows you to vent more exhaust out. Just doing exhaust or filter won't make any real difference because you'll still have an obstruction in either the intake side or the exhaust side. if you don't re-jet then you'll be starving an already lean engine of even more fuel.

Also, don't believe mscuddy about the argyl's he still wears black socks with his shorts and sandle's......
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 10:40 AM   #8
caffine
Registered Member

For all the money you'll be spending you'll sound cooler but will still get smoked. If it were me I'd get some lockable/ removable luggage, rain gear etc. That's about the same price as a can and filter, isn't it?
caffine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 11:19 AM   #9
cwradio
Registered Member

K&N sucks. They let dirt through that oem doesn't.

If anyone tells you different they are lying or don't know what they are talking about

Don
cwradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 11:21 AM   #10
seruzawa
The Toad

There's probably never been a time in history when rejetting, putting in a K&N and putting on a accessory exhaust will result in less gain than it does today. So ,if you want to spend upwards of a grand to get maybe a couple of horsepower, be my guest. Big bore kits will get you more gain than anything else.

On the downside if you use a K&N and don't rejet you may very well lose horespower. Bikes run pretty lean as it is. And any backfiring on compression braking reveals the bike's owner as an idiot.

The true advantage of the K&N is that you can wash it and reuse it. At cost of airfilter at the dealer every change you'll pay for that K&N pretty fast.