Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 07-05-2006, 01:29 AM   #21
squidwardo
Founding Member

Default Re: K&N vs. BMC vs. OEM

If you are going to do the who dyno tune deal, find a shop that also has an "exhaust gas analyzer". A lot of shops do not have these, and they are certainly not as sexy as a dyno. It will allow the tech to determine more thoroughly how your engine is running, and he/she can then make additional changes and can hopefully cut down on the number of dyno runs that have to be made with your bike. Ask around, because dynos can be hard on a bike, and find a shop that actually knows what they are doing. Try to avoid the clown who had some extra cash, bought a dyno, watched the video, and is now "tuning" bikes.

Also, don't pay much attention to the the hp figures the dyno produces, because I have found they are not always accurate. The machine is only as accurate as the information put in at the start, and I have watched guys tweak some of the base line info. in order to give slightly inflated hp numbers. I know it must shock you that someone would do such a thing, but it is true.
squidwardo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-05-2006, 05:03 AM   #22
bbtowns
Founding Member

I've put K&N filters on a lot of bikes, the only one that I noticed any change in power on was a BMW R1100, where there did seem to be a slight increase in the mid-range. Odds are you aren't going to see any performance increase without doing the whole package (exhaust, jets, filter).
Old 07-05-2006, 06:02 AM   #23
schizuki
Founding Member

"On the downside if you use a K&N and don't rejet you may very well lose horespower. Bikes run pretty lean as it is."

That's what I was thinking, too. I've always heard that bikes are jetted lean to pass emissions, so flowing more air would just lean it out more.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 06:12 AM   #24
Casey_Daniel
Founding Member

Thanks for all the info including some actual numbers. I'm doing the work myself so it's not costing that much. I figure I can do it all for around $450. As far as horsepower I'm not really worried about it. The more experienced I get the more I realize that if someone isn't that great of a rider I can pass them no matter what they're on. I'm gonna go with the baseline that was given with my jet kit and go from there. I was turning 2:09 at thunderhill on my second track day with a stock F4i. I did have some nice race take offs though. Fast enough to pass some of those liter bikes that were mentioned. I had a 929 and it was a sweet bike. I like the 600's though. I don't mind putting a little money into this bike it's just that much more fun to pass people on the track or keep up on the street. I don't really care about going fast on the street just want a nice smooth powerband which should equate to a nice smooth ride on the track. I'm also doing this for the learning experience and the money spent is worth it because I have the pink and only have to pay for liability. Hopefully next winter will be nice and long and I'll have a garage so I can pull the head, shave it, and port it, with a nice polish on the exhaust side. Don't worry suspension is next. Thanks for all the comments. Remember if you haven't taken a Motorcycle Safety course go ahead and sign up for one.
Casey_Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:02 AM   #25
Gritboy
Founding Member

Default Re: K&N vs. BMC vs. JC Penney

Nylons breath even better!
Gritboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:13 AM   #26
Casey_Daniel
Founding Member

I already got a dry bag and a tank bag. That's all I need for luggage. I think I will get some soft bags though in case my wife wants to ride on the back of my bike instead of riding hers.
Casey_Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:27 AM   #27
TJKellogg
Registered Member

I fix cars for a living, and often see MAF sensors dirtied by K&N filters (with the ensuing lean-O2 codes and poor performance), usually when someone over-oiled the filter, sometimes not. How that small amount of oil would manage to make it through combustion and into the exhaust to hurt an O2 sensor is completely beyond me. Every engine burns a little oil sometimes, so why is K&N's oil bad for the O2? I just don't see it.

BTW, most bikes don't use a MAF sensor, don't know about BMWs.

I have APE Super Pro-style (K&N imitator) pods on the old KZ, but how else am I to use the big GSXR carbs on my Kaw? The airbox isn't even close to the right size.
TJKellogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:29 AM   #28
TJKellogg
Registered Member

Emissions laws don't allow use of an oiled filter on a vehicle to be used on public roads.

TJKellogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 11:19 AM   #29
Gluge
Registered Member

Default Who cares about a little dirt??

I run one of my bikes with no air filters at all and never see any dirt build up in the carb. Only down side is if you crash you can get rocks in there and have to clean it out afterwards.
#867 Barrett Meeker Racing
Gaerne - Regina - Shoei - Bridgestone
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Endorsed by Longride - "Of course your points are unarguable. You are the smartest guy in the whole world ... What you really taught me is how little I really know about motorcycles and how much you know. Yes, you are the best and the smartest."
Gluge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 12:51 AM   #30
pattonme
Founding Member

you have it COMPLETELY upside down. Suspension is the FIRST thing to fix on practically every bike. The Japanese factories are down right pathetic on this. I don't know why but it keeps the tuners very busy. Suspension will make street riding pleasant and will give you a significant leg up on the track.

pattonme is offline   Reply With Quote