Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 06-29-2006, 10:56 AM   #31
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: Bring on the Killer Vees!

The last I heard, Suzuki was very disappointed with the amount of torque the prototype made. Lots of top end, no b@lls down low and mid.

Looks like no Stratosphere for you...or any of us.

pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-29-2006, 11:58 AM   #32
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I think schiziki is in the GPTB but he's a back-bencher right now.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 12:39 PM   #33
ksquid
Banned

coool thanks for the link
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 12:51 PM   #34
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Triumph 675 Sound

The harmonics from threes, sixes and twelves are by far the best. The sound of Ferrari 312/365/512 flat-twelves is beautiful enough to make you weep. However, the poor man can get a similiar shriek/wail from the D675. I raved about (and demonstrated) it in this video clip.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:25 PM   #35
kdurrell
Founding Member

I had a 99' 955i Daytona with a Leo Vince pipe that was just heavenly... *sigh*
kdurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 04:26 PM   #36
BlueDuck
Founding Member

I love the sound of my Duck, but twins are just twins. For exotica you can't beat a Suzuki RE-5 Rotary rolling off throttle for that thundering B-29 sound effect. A Strader 3 into 1 pipe on a water buffalo (2-stroke triple to you youngsters) also made very entertaining sounds, but the hole in the powerband from 4-5K was miserable to live with.
BlueDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 05:36 PM   #37
greatoldbikes
Founding Member

Default Got mine! CBX rules!

I bought a 1982 CBX with 6000 miles on it in 1994. Just got home from work, and speedo just turned over 33000 on the way home. Bike is full stock except for suspension (upgraded). That's right- stock pipes. But over the years, the baffling in the pipes has degraded a bit, and after 3000 rpm (9500rpm redline) it sings a sweet, sweet song.

According to legend, Honda tuned the exhaust to sound like a fighter plane at higher RPM. Well, maybe it does and maybe it doesn't, all I know is it sounds like nothing else as those revs rise, and at idle it is damn near silent. I know lots of people are into loud bikes and so forth, but no bike I've owned (and that's a lot of bikes) sounds as 'sophisticated' as the CBX.

I've got friends with CBX's with 6-6 pipes, 6-1 pipes and aftermarket 6-2 pipes, and they all sound kinda weird (well, the 6-6 sounds pretty sweet, admittedly). Honda did take time to think of the sound coming from the big six, and it was time well spent. I'm as addicted to riding it today as I was 12 years ago. Fun to ride, outrageous, sounds great and still damn fast. Lots to love.

The bike has serious cult status, and owners can be fanatical. I know many guys that have two or three. One guy has ten - every year made, in every color available.

Unfounded and probably wrong rumors suggest that Honda may make a new CBX and that it's a deep-cover project. We can only hope.

Meanwhile, it'd be great to see a 'Busa 6 or a Kawi 6 (they did make the KZ1300 Six, but it was not a great bike).

With the improved technology, it would be easier today to make a 160hp six with 100fp torque and make it pit in the same space as a large four, or V4.

C'mon Honda, give us a new CBX!

GOB
Old 06-29-2006, 08:31 PM   #38
brax4444
Founding Member

hahaha! I read that also. Melted the bumper on that tailgating Lexus!
brax4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 11:50 PM   #39
kiwi_steve
Founding Member

Default They tried....

'They' being Laverda and the V6 endurance racer that appeared at the '78 Bol d'Or where it was 38kph faster down the straights than the factory honda's (and sounded gorgeous) but was way too slow in the corners, eventually retiring. Laverda's lack of cash killed it but rumours suggest a street version was planned. The v6 was designed by Alfieri, the legendary engineer whose work for Italian exotic car manufacturers is well known.
kiwi_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:17 AM   #40
BillyO
Founding Member

I live in NH,too.Have had the same exoerience.

I understand that they are flying out of upstate NY.Sure impress me.

Last year I had the opportunity to do some aerobatic flying in a radial engine old warbird.

NOTHING sounds as manly as an old RADIAL.
BillyO is offline   Reply With Quote