Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   What's the Best Bike for Commuting? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/3713-whats-best-bike-for-commuting.html)

Fugaziiv 06-29-2006 03:53 AM

Re: What's the Best Bike for Commuting?

agreed.

ccd3 06-29-2006 03:57 AM

Re: Cowboy up?

It's particularly confusing after the whole "Brokeback Mountain" thing.

Fugaziiv 06-29-2006 04:02 AM

No-one ever really wants to admit it, but the best commuters available in the states are the big scooters, bar-none. They can move at the speed of traffic, get good mileage, usually have large amounts of built in storage and are comfortable and easy to ride. Think of them more as small Goldwings than large scooters.

NLJ 06-29-2006 04:04 AM

Perhaps you noticed a recent story "it ain't the tool shootout" that featured a nifty little do it all bike the Suzuki DL650. Strap on some bags and all of the above requrements seem to be met. That or go get a ZX-14 and put a backpack on it.

electraglider_1997 06-29-2006 04:15 AM

Any bike

That get's decent gas economy and has a tour pack. I always commuted with my Glide. Love the tour pack. If you don't mind looking like a nerd then go for a scooter. Lot's of bikes to choose from. Don't forget the high insurance premiums that you'll pay with a crotch rocket. Actually a bike that has low miles and 10 to 20 years old will be cheap and can be had for next to nothing.

seruzawa 06-29-2006 04:26 AM

First off, the best commuter would be the bike that you really dig and dig enough to actually ride it every day. That said generally the best commuter bikes are naked standards or DPs. You can always add a plexifairing. A motor with a wide HP band and good torque is preferrable because you get instant response in emergencies without having to waste time selecting gears. These bikes also give you the best visibility of your surroundings and make you the most visible as well.

Be careful abourt the sportbikes. Try to get a test ride if one strikes your fancy. Some people fit on them and can be comfortable. Some can't, even with all the exercise and body building that some people recommend. If you don't fit, you don't fit and you're gonna be in pain no matter how many hours you spend in the gym.

articulat_66 06-29-2006 04:33 AM

I have a Bandit 600 with a 3 bag givi set up and heated grips. Works great for me. I commute year round in arkansas. about 15,000 miles this year. Good luck

Buzglyd 06-29-2006 04:34 AM

Well a Geezer Glide makes an excellent commuter. Sit up and beg riding position, lockable storage (lots of storage!), Cars can see you and part like the red sea if you wear a helmet that looks like a cop. Try a fake mustache too.

And don't forget, tunes! You can listen to music, traffic reports, even Dr Laura. They're far more numble than you might imagine and I can lane split as well as anyone else.

Since you'll likely weigh more than many SUVs, they'll be afraid of you.

Buzglyd 06-29-2006 04:47 AM

What the hell did you have in the left bag, two lobsters and a bottle of Opus One?

seruzawa 06-29-2006 04:49 AM

Geezer Glides are very numble. Or was it numbing? I doubt you meant humble.

Thanks for pointing it out.