Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 06-28-2006, 05:38 PM   #11
ducati63
Founding Member

Default Re: What's the Best Bike for Commuting?

How about the Aprilia Scarabeo 250?
ducati63 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-28-2006, 05:49 PM   #12
joconne
Founding Member

Since you can buy two (used?) bikes for the price of one car, I recommend taking a split personality approach. I'm a daily commuter (37 miles each way New Orleans area, 25 miles of this is across the Lake Ponchartrain causeway - a great ride by the way) and find that sometimes I'm in the mood to take it easy and other times it's nice to go. My lay back and relax bike is a 2002 Goldwing ($13K in 2004 with 16,000 miles) which works very well for just about everything (except lane splitting in backed up traffic is pretty tight). For a more energetic ride I've got a 2002 ZX12R ($10K new in 2002), with modified bars to give a more upright riding position. Fantastic ride, only problem is keeping the speed down on the causeway, it's just too tempting. So, for the price of one moderately priced car, you can have a commuter that fits your mood to a tee.
joconne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 06:06 PM   #13
schizuki
Founding Member

If Givi makes mounts for the Ninja 250, then there ya go.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 06:33 PM   #14
jibosch
Registered Member

Honda DN-01. If you haven't heard of it, or seen it, Google it. It's what happens when a Sportbike and a Scooter, spend a night together in the garage....! Expect it in about nine months.
jibosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 06:42 PM   #15
fastoldman
Founding Member

Default Methinks your budget is a tad too high for MOrons.

Most MOrons seem to think a two-bikes-for-one-car split means a used SV and an even older Concours for a Hyundai.
fastoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 06:51 PM   #16
ksquid
Banned

For Seattle with all the rain you see a lot of BMWs, VFRs, with hard bags... probably with ABS as well..My Ninja with a tank bag was great for commuting... but have to admit ABS would be nice on those rainy days on I-5 when a bytch yacking on a cell-phone pulls into the HOV lane driving her massive SUV..That happened to me twice.. Scared the crap out of me.. I locked up the back brake in a nice skid but the Ninja stopped in time. Thanks Kawasaki...
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 06:56 PM   #17
ptarman
Registered Member

I ride a '99 Kawasaki Concours. Granted, it's not quite slim enough for easy lane-splitting. But it's got good weather protection which, living in Eastern Colorado, I appreciate. Two years ago I rode 360 days out of the 366 (leap year). I won't ride if freezing precipitation is predicted, but have ridden in temperatures down to about 12-13 degrees F.

I've got a Givi trunk in addition to the Connie's side bags. My right bag has tools, spares, and foul weather gear (Frogg Toggs, cold-weather gloves). That leaves the trunk for my laptop, the left bag for whatever (and I carry quite a bit of "whatever" back and forth from work). My personal best in terms of that "bag or two of groceries" was $273 worth of groceries in the left bag and the Givi (which wouldn't close) and a 25# bag of ice bungeed to the pillion.

Not only is it economically and ecologically more sound than my Buick, but it makes me feel good and has helped me establish an identity around town -- I'm the United Methodist minister who rides the motorcycle. I've even used it to lead funeral processions while wearing my black pulpit robe and my liturgical stole. I don't do that unless the family requests it, but about six families have asked me to lead the procession in the last three or four years. They always want a picture, too.
Colorado AAD
'99 Concours "TumbleToo\"
CDA #0016
IBA # 5811: SS1000, BB1500
ptarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 07:35 PM   #18
tomk2
Founding Member

I'm guessing you got all funky lane splitting? I've got the 36 liter size and they do stick out a bit.

P.S. the Multistrada IS a great all-around commuter bike.
tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 07:39 PM   #19
tomk2
Founding Member

P.P.S. I generally leave my hard bags off and use an Aerostich courier bag to carry work stuff.... it's one of the best moto-purchases I've ever made.
tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 07:55 PM   #20
Fenton
Founding Member

I clipped another bikes exhaust pipe. The new owner has run them into something twice though.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote