Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 06-30-2006, 08:37 PM   #141
jibosch
Registered Member

Default Re: What's the Best Bike for Commuting?

Basic wisdom with Honda, with brand new models, [not specifically made for America models, or upgrades of existing models], is that it is first released in Japan and Europe, and then brought to America, if they deem it sell-able. I personally believe that it will be available sometime in 2007 in the USA, should Honda decide to bring it here. Expect a lot of news from Honda, regarding new models, in the next few months.
jibosch is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-11-2006, 07:47 PM   #142
Easyenough
Founding Member

Default Where's cool here?

Hey now, whoa, hold on. Commuting on a motorcycle is never practical. For cheap, nothing beats a good touring bicycle which is endurable down to about 0F and costs about $20 a year in maintenance and takes a $1000 off in medical expenses for the exercise you get. My panniers carry enough for four weeks of touring let alone getting to the office.

If you go more than 15 miles (which you shouldn't), one of those lousy fiestas or other cheap cages with wheelbarrow tires is always going to win on cost.

No, the reason to commute on a bike is joy, freedom and the smells. And since you get those on anything, it has to come down to cool. Not poser cool, real cool.

And as much as I love my 599, the sound, the appearance, and most of all, the low end torque all point to the quintessential cool city commuter as the Ducati Monster 620 Dark.
Easyenough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:04 AM   #143
eddly
Registered Member

Default How far you commute make a difference

The Suzuki SV650 is a very popular commuter bike for lots of reasons. However if you live in a big city and commute around town there are lots to consider. In Australia if the bike is under 300cc is is very very very cheap to register and insure. So a 250 like the Honda VTR250 is ideal and even scooters are something to consider. I now commute around the city on an Aprilia sportscity 200. it will easily do 140 kph (88mph) and has a great plastic shell that when the thing falls over bits don't break off. And it has been knock over while parked, blown over while parked, dropped while trying to park on a very steep hill, etc. I keep parking next to large expensive looking faring bikes with busted mirrors or blinkers held in place with duct tape. If it is a commuter it is going to fall down at some stage and hopefully while you're not on it. Big scooters a cumbersome so I don't agree with the earlier posts.

If you are going to commute longer distances on freeways etc. The Suzuki SV650 or better still BMW 800F.
eddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:51 AM   #144
eddly
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbilodeau View Post
I would say a dualsport or supermoto would be the best for short commutes a Monster or SV for longer. Tires last a long time on low horsepower bikes like these. Besides, I get 3000 miles out of a rear with the latest sport tires. I bet a sport touring tire would last at least twice as long.
I got 11,250 miles out of my rear on the Aprilia sportcity 200 and fron tyre is looking good with 13,000 miles on it… will probably change it when it is three years old.
eddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:11 PM   #145
iowarider
Founding Member

Default best motorcycle for commuting, updates?

This thread was an interesting read. I noticed the date of the responses were pretty old. How about a round of suggestions with the newer models in mind. I'm thinking a Honda nt700v would be hard to beat for a 35 mile one way daily commute.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:07 AM   #146
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowarider View Post
This thread was an interesting read. I noticed the date of the responses were pretty old. How about a round of suggestions with the newer models in mind. I'm thinking a Honda nt700v would be hard to beat for a 35 mile one way daily commute.
It's easy to beat. A V-Strom650 or a Versys will do the trick just as well for thousands less.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:48 AM   #147
Sir_Angus
Registered Member

I'm happy with my '99 FXSTC & 7.4 mile commute ... Plus I get to ride all year long without snow. :P
Old 06-15-2011, 02:40 PM   #148
Squid Killer
Registered Member

Most of the time I use my FZ1 for commuting. Around here it is easy to ride every day of the year so that is what I do. All I need is a nice tank bag and a strap for big stuff on the back seat now and then.

FZ1, R6, Gold Wing, EX250, Seca 2, TTR230, Metropolitan.
Squid Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:19 PM   #149
touristamerica
Registered Member

I bought my bike this summer here! it has been an awesome bike for commuting to work and back!
https://members.cj.com/member/publis...3092115 58365
touristamerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:26 PM   #150
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Oh Geezuz! For the Love of Mike - can we STOP with the feckin' SPAMalot Thread-Necroz already?!!!!!

I want to gouge my left-testicle off with a bent, rusty butterknife now.....
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote