Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 06-29-2006, 08:55 PM   #131
Gluge
Registered Member

Default Re: What's the Best Bike for Commuting?

Aprilia RS250 - that's what my dad commutes on and he's over 65! beat that you sissys that complain of comfort and 'powerband' !

I'm not sure how far the commute is I believe it's about 15-20 miles.
#867 Barrett Meeker Racing
Gaerne - Regina - Shoei - Bridgestone
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Endorsed by Longride - "Of course your points are unarguable. You are the smartest guy in the whole world ... What you really taught me is how little I really know about motorcycles and how much you know. Yes, you are the best and the smartest."
Gluge is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-30-2006, 01:15 AM   #132
ptorranc
Founding Member

I am grateful to you for this tip. I hadn't heard of it, I did Google it, and it looks like just what I want for about 200 miles of commuting a week in central New Jersey. So far most of the talk I've Googlereaped is about release in Japan and Europe; nobody has mentioned USA availability. Hope that's what you meant where to expect it; any further info?

Thanks.

Phil T Princeton NJ USA
Old 06-30-2006, 02:07 AM   #133
BillyO
Registered Member

Exposed crank.Why not.
BillyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 03:08 AM   #134
jbilodeau
Founding Member

I would say a dualsport or supermoto would be the best for short commutes a Monster or SV for longer. Tires last a long time on low horsepower bikes like these. Besides, I get 3000 miles out of a rear with the latest sport tires. I bet a sport touring tire would last at least twice as long.
jbilodeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 03:35 AM   #135
PVJIM
Founding Member

How about a Honda XR650L...I ride a 98 model that I "supermotoed" by installing 17's and sportbike rubber along with a 320mm front disk. It's a hoot to ride, gets great mileage, comfortable and gives you a good view of traffic, it's narrow if you want to lane split and is Honda reliable. You can pick up a good used one for a song and you will be singing all the way to work.
PVJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 04:18 AM   #136
Steve781
Founding Member

Default Re: Visiblity

I have them on a seperate switch and relay. The VFR's electrical system is delicate, and I can't run the fogs in all situations.
Steve781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 04:40 AM   #137
jhinton
Registered Member

Default Re: What's the Best Bike for Commuting? A CAR!!

But seruzawa, why would anyone commute in a ¾ ton truck that gets 16-17 mpg? If a motorcycle is an option for the commute then hauling ¾ tons of something is not a daily commuting requirement. This is where a small car like a Chevy Metro or Toyota Echo/Yaris, Scion etc. is perfect. You get 40 to 50 mpg and have plenty of room for lunch boxes, laptops, etc. Even switching the commute to a car that gets 35 mpg will save over $1600 per year on a 50 mile roundtrip commute if gas is $2.50 per gallon. In my area, Metros can be found for $1500 to $2500 with 50K miles and a 50K mile Toyota Echo is $5000. The car pays for itself in a couple of years if you commute far enough.

You may even find that you donÂ’t really NEED a truck. We switched from a 16 mpg truck to the 49 mpg Jetta wagon 4 years ago and have borrowed a friendÂ’s truck about 6 times. I can fit more lumber in the Jetta than in my uncleÂ’s Envoy XL! If I finally got around to getting a hitch for the Jetta I would never need a truck. I think our experience is pretty typical, we had a truck because it was convenient a couple times a year but found out once it was gone that we didnÂ’t really need it. Saving $4000 per year on fuel is nice too!

KLRer, I didnÂ’t forget depreciation, itÂ’s just not a very big factor for me. Yes, itÂ’s the number one expense it youÂ’re the typical person that buys new every 2-3 year. However, if youÂ’re like me and buy that typical personÂ’s 3 year old car with 36K miles for 50% to 60% of new and then drive it for the next 150K miles then itÂ’s not much of a factor. There is not reason todayÂ’s cars canÂ’t go 200K to 300K miles or more if you do the maintenance and take care of them. Most people donÂ’t buy a new car because they NEED one but because they WANT one. ItÂ’s a huge difference. BTW, my last bike had 85K miles on it and I only replaced it with the BMW because of a very nasty highside.

jhinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 04:56 AM   #138
KLRer
Founding Member

Default Re: What's the Best Bike for Commuting? A CAR!!

Right, and after mulling it over some more Ive concluded that depreciation is only a deciding factor if you buy a motorcycle instead of a car rather than in addition to car. Because the car depreciates even if its sitting in your garage.
KLRer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 05:37 AM   #139
meis3b
Founding Member

Triumph Sprint ST

1. 3 excelent color matched waterproof hard bags.

2. 50+MPG 250 mile range.

3. Access plug for heated gear.

4. Good fairing for protection from the elements.

5. Dual heardlight to see and be seen with.

6. 100+ hp for "merging" when you need it.

7. Wide radial tires for allweather safetey.

8. Relaxed "agresive" riding position.

9. Easy to maintain o-ring chain (20,000+ on my last one).

10. Top bag acts as a removeable "sissy bar" to load passengers or gear on read part of seat.

11. In my experience stone reliable.

12. 10+ in the "what a cool bike factor"

13. All the elderly parking lot guys rode a Triumph "back when" which has gotten me free parking and someone who contantly was watching the bike.

14. With all the bags I can go to a meeting in a suit and dumg my riding gear in the bags with no one being the wiser.

15 Chicks dig Triumphs!!!

1999 Red Sprint ST

meis3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:56 PM   #140
ksquid
Banned

Hey once you have done it for awhile write about for MO.
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote