Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 06-29-2006, 12:56 PM   #111
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Cowboy up?

There are actually still real life cowboys in places like Wyoming. They are often seen wearing ball caps and using ATVs instead of horses. Times change I guess.

One thing you don't see is those big belt buckles and the person's name on the back of the belt. Real cowboys can remember their own names.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-29-2006, 12:57 PM   #112
setafirst
Registered Member

Default Re: What's the Best Bike for Commuting?

It depends on where you live and what kind of weather and commute you do (highway, suburb, country roads). I commute 30 miles each way each day in the Boston suburbs, and used to commute in DC.

Sport bikes suck - hurt your wrists, suck in traffic, can't sit on them for too long;

Harleys and Gold Wings are too heavy and hard to maneuver at slow speed, and you have to not care;

You want nothing that's hard to maintain yourself - you want to keep it on the road;

You want a bike no one wants to steal and can look like crap without any heartburn;

You want really big luggage - big enough for laptops and briefcases;

I dont care about windshields, but you have to have a bike that won't throw off lots of heat in the summer. Its a lot easier to dress for cold then ride naked because your engine is so hot;

Comfort comfort comfort, upright position, good seat, multiple foot positions. No weight on your wrists!!!

Consistent performance and comfort in both stop and go traffic and on highway - Strong mid-range, torque over power, tall gearing;

So get a nice used, air cooled standard with a fairly simple engine, learn to do your own maintenance to keep it on the road, and buy good quality big hard luggage.

I've commuted on a Guzzi EV, a BMW K1100RS, a Suzuki GT500, and a Yamaha Maxim. The Guzzi is the best, any UJM is good. A beemer R bike would work too (the K blows off too much heat and puts too much weight on your writsts at low speeds). The

Guzzi, BTW, is the hands down winner.

setafirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 01:07 PM   #113
seruzawa
The Toad

Why not? HDs already have the total loss oiling system.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:10 PM   #114
manalagi001
Registered Member

I used to have an M900 (Ducati) which was a great city commuter. A supermoto bike would be even better. But now that I commute outside of San Francisco, riding about 50mi per day on mostly freeway miles, I have switched up to a bike with better wind protection and overall afforability: a Triumph Speed Four. The bike was super cheap-- less than $5800 otd, as a leftover-- which was why I bought it: to pile miles on. But to my surprise I found that it had great wind protection, really good suspension, and more horsepower. Overall, a much better freeway bike. Narrower too, which makes it good for lane-splitting on the 101. It has rasied clip-ons so it's pretty upright and comfy too. It has been a good choice.

So I would echo the sentiments of those on 600s-- their narrowness and nimbleness, yet good high speed manners, makes them good freeway bikes.

But for city commuting, I'd stick with a supermoto, standard, or a Monster or Multistrada. Within the streets of San Francisco, the Monster ruled. With its abundant torque, wide bars, good looks and fiesty growl, it was perfect for SF.

If I were to commute within the confines of the city again, I would look for the new Aprilia RXV450 supermoto to come stateside, or the release of the Triumph 675 as a naked bike. Or maybe a Husky street-legal supermoto model. Any of those bikes would rule as a weekend Skyline blaster.

manalagi001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 03:39 PM   #115
12er
Founding Member

My old KLR 650 with a tail bag was my favorite on a crowded slow moving freeway. Though once traffic opened up the lack of top end on the KLR was a liability in my book. Well here in the SF area where traffic moves at 80 - 90 mph when not stop and go.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 03:50 PM   #116
12er
Founding Member

Default Re: Visiblity

Hook your PIAA's to the low beam, never fall for that high beam only crap they post in the docs. Also if you can get amber bulbs.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:03 PM   #117
12er
Founding Member

Its about saving time more than money for me. My old commute would run 45 to well over an hour shorter on the bike each way.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:28 PM   #118
eojmo
Founding Member

Looking at your priorities for wanting to buy a two wheeler for commuting, I would have to say a big scooter would suit you right down to the ground.Perfect!
eojmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 04:51 PM   #119
devildog_jim
Registered Member

A 999R. Sure, the weather protection only exists if you're flat against the tank, the storage space is limited to what you can put in your backpack/tank bag, and the economy stinks at 100 MPH, but it's got the agility part down!
Old 06-29-2006, 05:37 PM   #120
skeepee
Registered Member

Default Re: Vespanomics!

I don't trust them pretentious Mods further'n I can toss one.
skeepee is offline   Reply With Quote