Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   What's the Best Bike for Commuting? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/3713-whats-best-bike-for-commuting.html)

KLRer 06-29-2006 08:04 AM

Re: What's the Best Bike for Commuting? A CAR!!

You didnt mention Depreciation--the loss in value that occurs each year you own a vehicle. Its the biggest cost component of all unless youve had the vehicle a long time. But when you start depreciating a new BMW or even a Honda Civic, a $5000 motorcycle or scooter starts to look pretty good by comparison.

davidhaner 06-29-2006 08:09 AM

Re: What's the Best Bike for Commuting?

Are you switching jobs? Who are you going to work for if so? Watch out on 405 in the commuter lane; through those S curves bikers get hit all the time, people duck into the commuter lane to cheat. A year or so ago a cop in an SUV ducked into the commuter lane killing a motorcyclist. Although the cop was at fault of course nothing happened to him.

pushrod 06-29-2006 08:28 AM

Awright!

Guilty of applying logic where it is not welcome!

Somebody get the tar and feathers!

pushrod 06-29-2006 08:31 AM

I ran across a Bandersnatch once.

She was terrifying!

I won't lie to you. I ran away.

pushrod 06-29-2006 08:35 AM

Sprint ST with top rack and bags!

longride 06-29-2006 08:40 AM

Real as the dead battery in Ksquids bike!

seruzawa 06-29-2006 08:52 AM

The milk carton is great for a couple of tall six packs of the Green Death, a bag of sourcream and onion potato chips and a handful of Slim Jims.

christian_gates 06-29-2006 08:52 AM

Check your numbers. I did a quick calculation, and even assuming a relatively inexpensive car and very frequent and expensive bike maintenance, short tire life etc. (and no car maintenance other than oil) the bike was still cheaper - albeit not by much. But one even minor car issue would be enough to dramatically swing the economics.

A car gets you more functionality, though.

Jiffy 06-29-2006 09:16 AM

The Cheap Route: Ninja 250 with a luggage rack on the back that will hold any type of hard case you want. Gets 60mpg easily and is very cheap to insure. It is very agile. Very economic. There is a guy that makes metal racks for the back and a guy that makes large touring windshields for the ninja 250. You can find them both at www.ninja250.net fourms.

More Expensive Route: DL650 seems to be the most obvious choice, as others have stated. It does everything that mikenomad asked for, storage space, agility, economy. Just like the article "It Ain't the Tool" says it does everything well.

BillyO 06-29-2006 09:18 AM

Re: Bing would approve!

Yowsah,Bing`s got the bling and don`t ride a "Wing."