Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 06-27-2006, 11:38 PM   #1
JmalB
Premium Member

Default Re: Pete Sounds Off about 'Super Bikes.'

I missed the show, but if Speed's heavy NASCAR rotation is any indication, I would say they may be a little on the shortsighted side.

1st post!
JmalB is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-27-2006, 11:50 PM   #2
jeffreyc
Registered Member

Couldn't agree more.

Speed sucks except for the cropped MotoGP coverage.

1 hour of MotoGP, no 125, no 250, no pit talk, no post race follow up. Just a quick hour of real racing and back to Nascar.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:09 AM   #3
goodtime
Founding Member

I had looked forward to watcing "superbikes" since last week, but the cable decides to go out right before the show! The cable came back on for the import car tuner show that came on after sb. Personally I like hooliganism and stunting, if you don't want to watch it, change the channel.
goodtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 01:47 AM   #4
Mean
Registered Member

I was pleasantly surprised. I certainly would not fit in with the crowds as shown on the show but it was entertaining getting to know them, worts and all. The hosting was a little stale but that guy can ride!!!

G
Mean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 01:56 AM   #5
pdad13
Founding Member

Pete, I felt pretty much the same way you did--the show wasn't quite what I feared it would be (at least the first installment.) It was actually fairly well produced and surprisingly low on bombast.

The host was likeable enough; the subjects were pleasantly civilized for the most part and the segments had more depth than I expected (of course, I expected a slightly more upmarket grade of outlaw stuntaz video). They did go to slightly tiresome pains to demonstrate how this was no custom chopper show (yeah, we know, it's all about performance...although I don't really see the need for a 190 RWHP streetfighter with a devil head flyscreen...or do I?).

And when was the last time you heard Joey Dunlop mentioned on TV?

But, unfortunately, the killer is the street stunting and (fairly mild) mayhem (as well as a couple of brief allusions to drinking). It's just sending all the wrong messages. And frankly, what was on the show was quite tame in comparison to the roving packs of dumb, unskilled squid I see on the weekends. At least just about everyone was weariing gear.

And no T&A????
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 02:02 AM   #6
schizuki
Founding Member

Well, if nothing else, it was nice to see an aspect of motorcycling in the MSM that didn't involve Harley, assless chaps, *****y women, identically-dressed "individualists" and ill-handling & ill-conceived eyeball-"engineered" customs.

Not that it's a great aspect. But at least it's different.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 02:17 AM   #7
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I watched it, and thought it encompassed everything that 'Average Joe Public' hates about motorcyclists, so it was OK with me. I'd check it out again. It shows what's going on out there in the real world. People stunt, they speed, they drink, and they get crazy. Hell, sometimes they even ride without helmets! Scary!
Old 06-28-2006, 02:21 AM   #8
jesskauffman
Registered Member

I found the emphasis on customizing for performance before looks rather refreshing. Especially after being stuck with shows that only look at how to make Harley clones and choppers shinier and handle worse.

Can't say I agreed with all of it, but it was much better than I was expecting.
jesskauffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 02:31 AM   #9
mheyer
Founding Member

I think that the show is displaying all the wrong things about motorcycling. Stunting is cool - but do it in the correct venue. Just like racing is awesome - on the track... Too many idiots with these bikes tearing up the public streets, not having enough sense to join a local track club and truly learn how to ride and increase their skills. The kind of riders that would rather spend $150 on a chrome brake lever (because that makes a bike faster...) than for a track day to actually learn how to ride, and do it safely. This hooliganism just makes the public look towards motorcycle rides as a bad crowd, and a traffic accident or street terrorist waiting to happen. I love to ride - whether touring the country, or my weekend track habit. But this crap again is just re-emphasizing all the wrong things.
mheyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 02:35 AM   #10
Doktor
Premium Member

Agreed, if I see one more show on chrome do-dads and tattoos, I'm going to lose it.
Doktor is offline   Reply With Quote