Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 06-28-2006, 06:20 AM   #41
orcyclist
Founding Member

Default Re: Pete Sounds Off about 'Super Bikes.'

Yeah, where were the women? Could it be that all those SF bikers feaured pursue an "alternative lifestyle?" Hmm.

Please feature young, buxom, scantlily clad women, please! Atttractive chesty girls aren't socially unaccpetable!

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-28-2006, 06:26 AM   #42
robb_millett
Registered Member

Back when it was "Speedvision", it was actually a good and interesting channel. once it became the "Speed Channel" (NASCAR) it began sucking mightily, as it follwed the NASCAR ethic of managing content ensure highest acessability and appeal, which always includes lowering stadards to meet the lowest common denominator.

I quit subscribing a couple years ago. this change in programming doesn't surprise me, or interest me.
robb_millett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 06:56 AM   #43
jasonlion54
Founding Member

Default Re: I don't get Speed channel.

Actually, I'm a 21 year old male who loves riding in the Pacific Northwest. I don't know about having brunch with KPaul, but he does live in a beautiful area. Anyway, I like going fast around corners, but stunting doesn't interest me at all. Not all young riders are hooligans, but this show is only going to reinforce that stereotype among the non-riding public, and that's bad news for those of us who don't want to be targeted by cops or angry bystanders when we're minding our own business.
jasonlion54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 07:18 AM   #44
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: I agree

It's not much different than any other live road racing event. Unless it's a relatively small road course or oval, you're only going to see the cars/bikes whiz by every now and then. At the Indy 500 and Montreal Formula 1, we would watch almost the whole race on video monitors. The people that attend the events go for the atmosphere and the opportunity to get a little closer to the personalities and technology, and the sense of speed that you can't get from TV. They obviously get huge crowds in Europe and around the world. (Okay, MGP Qatar and Shanghai leave a lot to be desired so far, but give it some time.)

I agree that the bikes being small poses a unique problem. But fix the competition and improve the track situation and you've got a good start. I think you can get more people interested in it--even a few people that aren't necessarily into motorcycles or racing.

It ain't going to be the NFL, but it could be much, much better. All the research indicates that extreme sports are just going to keep getting bigger. I'm pretty sure mc road racing fits pretty well. Someone just has to right the ship and take the initiative. The time might be now.

And it is generally great on TV (I think the camera positions on WSBK broadcasts might be the best). The problem is that there is no strong base in this country and the AMA seems to be too weak to consolodate and exploit what strength there is. I know motorcyclists that aren't even aware that races (whether they be AMA,MGP or WSBK) are actually broadcast.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 07:19 AM   #45
Fenton
Founding Member

Default Not a stereotype

I know there is a bunch of guys of any age that don't "stunt."

My point being the X games, girls gone wild, break.com....etc, etc. are a norm among the young males today. We can expect these types of programs and there is more to come.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 07:25 AM   #46
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

I too found it to be much more entertaining than all of the other shows aimed at the motorcycling audience. Two Wheel Tuesday was a boring dud, and all of those idiotic chopper shows are aimed at a completely different audience than motorcyclists who actually prefer some function with the form of what they ride. I for one will be watching Super Bikes again next week.
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 07:25 AM   #47
ksquid
Banned

I saw it....Thought it was lame... watched a MotoGP 250 Race on motogp.com By the way I hardly watch 250 races..but I already watched all of the premier class races twice. Bring bact Two wheeled Tuesday...Heck even American Thunder was better..

Grumpy Old Gen Xer

kpaul
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 07:28 AM   #48
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: I agree

I think it could be marketed a lot better too. As much as people complain about NASCAR, it does an excellent job with its product.

I guess your last sentence says it all. If motorcyclists can't even take the time (in this day and age of Google) to find out when races are on TV, then why should the average Joe?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 07:32 AM   #49
TEvo
Registered Member

Aye mate.

British 'eye-fi. Italian bikes (and women?...)

Cheers.
`00 SV65
TEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 07:35 AM   #50
ccmun
Founding Member

You guys need to relax. Speed is looking for some marketing-edge to appeal to its demographic. It does not give a ***** about SUV-moms, or BMW-riding middle aged farts. Thats the cold hard reality. Hopefully we will see more than the mere references to the dangers of everyday riding/personalitiesand less of the stuntz, but I may be wrong.

I thought the Ratpack badass attitude gang very interesting, but a bit contrived....."Group of white ex-military dudes against the dark hordes of the East Bay." As a former resident of Fort Apache in the Bronx as well as some bad ass streets in Brooklyn, I was mildly annoyed, but hey se la vie....At least the host did not scare them off....

ccmun is offline   Reply With Quote