Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   Pete Sounds Off about 'Super Bikes.' (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/3709-pete-sounds-off-about-super-bikes.html)

Fenton 06-28-2006 04:38 AM

I don't get Speed channel.

Is Elvis on 'Super Bikes' doing his pelvic thrust? Please don't tell me my kids will run off and smoke crack and do wheelies if they watch this show.

We sound like a bunch of grumpy old paranoid ladies.(no offense Ashley) This is going on in motorcycling. This is why younger riders get involved in all the gen X sports stuff. Find me a 21 year old male that wants to take a 4 day trip through the pacific northwest visiting landmarks, shooting photos of nature and having brunch with Kpaul. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN! Wheelies, burnouts, stoppies, beer, tattoos, hot chicks is what is bringing the young men to the motorcycle roundtable these days. And in 20-30 years they will be talking about how lucky they are to be alive and how to restore an old evo motor that they found in their dad's shed.

SeanAlexander 06-28-2006 04:41 AM

Nagging

Sorry... sounds like you need to hang out with different women.

Buzglyd 06-28-2006 04:49 AM

I agree

We're going to have to change the name of this site to Fuddie Duddies dot com.

I once was stupid enough to ride a 600 Ninja at 100 mph without a helmet! On city streets no less.

Oh, and I don't care what "the public" thinks about motorcycle riders. I think just about everyone knows someone at work who rides and they don't think of him as some outlaw.

And those of you bytching about Speed being the NASCAR channel, start your own racing program if you think you can pull the viewers. All you have to do is look at the paltry few posts whenever there is a racing topic posted to understand how pitiful the ratings are for motorcycle racing.

You should be thanking Speed for likely losing money on every broadcast in order to show us moto racing.

pdad13 06-28-2006 04:58 AM

I didn't realize...

...that the TV watching habits of the American motorcyclist had such a profound effect on footwear consumption. Interesting.

mscuddy 06-28-2006 05:34 AM

Re: Pete Sounds Off about 'Super Bikes.'

..caught it by accident channel surfing.

Just what we need, a TV show about rich kids with tatoos doing burnouts and wheelies on "sick" bikes put together by some frenchman (who claims to be an aeronautical engineer).

Talk about the decline and fall of western civilization.

I went back to watching Dragnet reruns on channel 86.

pdad13 06-28-2006 05:51 AM

Re: I agree

I actually do appreciate that Speed is devoting time to motorcycles and racing. Anyone going to check in on the ZX-14 night this week? (Sure, it's just a lot of PR, but still...) Donnington GP this weekend, yeehaw! (Although, I must say that buying access through the MotoGP.com Web site is a pretty good deal with far more coverage.)

I'll tell you what, though. I keep thinking that there's got to be a better way to market MC road racing in this country. It's the only form of motorsport (aside from Freestyle MX) where you can get someone who knows nothing about motorcycles, automobile racing or anything in a toolbox to say "holy sh*t!" I know because I've actually seen it happen in my living room a few times.

Frankly, it just highlights how incredibly incompetent AMA Racing is as an organization. In a culture where we have new extreme sports pop up every few minutes (the World Friggin' Paintball Championships are on ESPN), they can't organize and promote a racing product that's actually entertaining.

And yes, I'm sure it's not a big ratings-getter for Speed, but there are some people watching judging from the discussion on other boards. Boy, if someone just had the opportunity to do it right, you might have a hot little niche sport. Jeez, look how many casual non-traditional fans NASCAR was able to grab--with boring racing.

pdad13 06-28-2006 05:53 AM

Well, Ireland and France are pretty close together, anyway. ;)

Buzglyd 06-28-2006 06:02 AM

Re: I agree

AMA seems to do a pretty good job with Supercross but it's all contained within a stadium and you can see the whole track (similar to NASCAR).

I've been to several motorcycle road races and it's pretty hard to watch (unless you're totally into it like I am). The bikes are small and the tracks have limited viewpoints. Laguna Seca is a great place to watch a race because of the elevation, but California speedway is terrible because you can only see bits and pieces of the track.

I do agree that road racing could be a LOT better but let's face it; the squids who buy the high performance bikes are more into stunting than racing.

Buzglyd 06-28-2006 06:06 AM

Re: Nagging

Get back to work slacker!

orcyclist 06-28-2006 06:13 AM

Yes, Squidly behavior exists on the street. The problem with this show is that it glorifies it. Let's not do any more to emphasize the image of motorcylists as antisocial and give the do-gooders ammunition in the effort to eliminate high perfomrance bikes. I would rather just go out and ride fast - on the track.

That being said I do like the idea of "performance over bling" concept. I was amazed to see a mention of Joey D.

At least it wasnn't another of the painfully boring bombastic chopper shows that are, as my 17 yr old daughter says, "So yesterday!"

It was refreshing to see a show about motorcyles in it that wasn't infected with HD-riding, overweight illiterate dysfunctional "bas ass" poseurs. Don't ride a Harley, get a real motorcyle.

Why not a show about real performance - like track days or club racing, where real folks use their own money and sweat to go fast.

I was miffed that Speed announced that Dude for a Day code word would be on the show - (to get us to watch?) but it wasn't. ( Or did I jusrt miss it?)

I see now why rental sportbikes are so expensive after the abuse the host gave his 600RR.

My 2 cents.