Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 06-28-2006, 03:53 AM   #11
morri03
Founding Member

Default Re: Pete Sounds Off about 'Super Bikes.'

It was total rubbish! Why didn't they call it stunnas and streetfighters, it wasn't about super bikes at all.

How SPEED can think it is a good idea to film guys pulling wheelies and burnouts on city streets is a good idea, I cna't imagine
morri03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-28-2006, 04:04 AM   #12
Gritboy
Founding Member

Definitely a squidly show that won't do much to "improve" the image of motorcycling, but then again, most cruiser/custom culture shows don't either. Stunting on public streets isn't going to go over well, but if you're into streetfighter/hooligan culture, that's the point, so kudos to them for being true (though that was very tame on street stuff). While it was better produced and more meaty than I expected, I'm sad to see SPEED fixate less on legit racing, the bikes and good motorcycling, and instead completely try to cash in on moto/biker cultures. Odd how good motorcycling skills/habit and good motorcycles aren't what shows focus on. At least there wasn't any chaps and chrome.
Gritboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 04:05 AM   #13
gearider
Founding Member

I like it. I thought it was done well, even though it was rough around the edges and yes the host was a little on the green side in the hosting department. I think it has potential to make it.

These guys were riding pretty rowdy on the street which could be seen as negative by Joe public BUT this type of riding happens. There is no reason to sugar coat something or make it seem like something it isn't. There are people who ride like this on the street. I donÂ’t condone this type of riding on the street but I donÂ’t deny that it happens.

Just remember that kissing your wife WILL not make her pregnant. There are other tabooÂ’s involved.
gearider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 04:08 AM   #14
Gritboy
Founding Member

Here, here! MotoGPs all I watch Speed for now, especially since OLN is the channel that covers Dakar.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:11 AM   #15
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I happen to like *****y women. The world is a better place with them in abundance.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:13 AM   #16
Gritboy
Founding Member

True enough. I used to ride with a "wild" crowd in my moto-messenger days in SF, and the stunting has just gotten wilder, so at least the show's not sugarcoating it. Quick folks... hide your children... hooligan bikers are coming to a living room near you... like it or not.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:15 AM   #17
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Maybe we need a show that is motorcycling's equivalent to 'Leave it to Beaver'. Gee Wally, I never knew Eddie was such a creep!
Old 06-28-2006, 04:18 AM   #18
Flickmeister
Registered Member

I think you stated it perfectly. I've been a hard-core sportbike rider for 43 years, including several of roadracing. My wife and I sat through part of this show in complete disgust. Portraying sportbikers in this venue can do nothing but do damage to a sport that desperately needs to build a positive image. Thank God the average TV watching public either doesn't get SPEEDVISION or doesn't watch it. This show is an incredible disservice to the motorcycle industry. Maybe if I was young, stupid, and good at wheelies (I really suck at them), I'd be impressed, but I am really disappointed at SPEED's bad taste with it's decision to attract and promote this aspect of our sport. I thought "Greg's Garage" was a pretty useless show, but at least it promoted the sport in a positive manner. At this point, I'd welcome it back.
Flickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 04:37 AM   #19
Tomas_P
Founding Member

Well OK, it wasn't quite as god-awful as I assumed it would be, judging from the promos. A mildly interesting 23 minutes. A few believable real-world riders interviewed. No bikes wrecked just for laughs, although that may be coming when the producers get thin on ideas.

I don't know why I worry about what the non-riding public thinks about motorbike riders anyway. I doubt that this bit of TV fluff will have any influence one way or the other.

Maybe they could have a segment where they follow me on my daily commute to work on the XB12. Now THERE'S real-world biking for ya. They'd have to broadcast it at 11:30PM, so the powerful narcotic effect of watching me ride would be put to good use. Heh.
Tomas_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 04:38 AM   #20
JWaller
Founding Member

I watched the show last night to see this week's code word for the "dude for a day" contest. I agree about the negative aspects of the show. I didn't care for the show at all. And then they didn't even show the "dude for a day" code word. So I watched the show for nothing. My wife had a friend over and they were in the room where I was watching TV. My wife's friend kept making comments like "that's why everyone hates bikers", "that's why everyone's afraid of bikers", "that's why those things ought to be illegal." After the show, my wife told me she didn't want me riding any more if that was what riding a motorcycle was all about. So, maybe Greg White's program was a little to campy for some, maybe even going a little overboard to show the positive aspects of motorcycles and motorcyclists, but it did nothing to discredit the sport of motorcycling. Up yours, Speedchannel.
JWaller is offline   Reply With Quote