Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 06-26-2006, 11:28 AM   #11
mii54ws
Founding Member

Default Re: ''06'' Nomad Performance Mods

It's probably easier to lose weight to gain more punch than it would be to increase HP. I am a firm believer that fooling around with ECU FI and the intake track is an invitation to mega $$$ and mega trouble, probably resulting in eventually returning to the well mannered stock system. Just my $0.02.
mii54ws is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-26-2006, 11:32 AM   #12
maladg
Registered Member

WWdxD???
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 01:28 PM   #13
dsykes
Founding Member

I was in the market for a "new to me cruiser" a few years back and test drove a 2000 nomad. It was a very nice ride. And probally fast enough for me. Then I drove the Valkyrie and I could not get over how fun it was to twist that throttle and have those six carbs feed those six cylinders. Well, I bought the Valk. I still like the Nomad, though. I probally would have bought the Nomad if this particular one was fuel injected.

Dave

dsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 01:33 PM   #14
Fenton
Founding Member

Took me a second.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 04:01 PM   #15
eojmo
Founding Member

Strip all the weight off,change the exhaust system,fit differant cams,high comp pistons etc.

In other words its not worth the time ,cost and effort.At the end of the day its still a Vulcan cruiser.Its like trying to turn a Yam R1 sports bike into a duel purpose Adventurer,whats the point?
eojmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 05:48 PM   #16
Vlad
Registered Member

No matter what you do, you can't change the nature of the thing that much. As others have noted, it is a cruiser, meant to cruise. It is too heavy to really have the minor performance mods you can do make much difference. It has limited handling capabilities. You can spend thousands on it, and an FZ1 will still have you for lunch with plenty of room for a fat tip. Or try any of the sport touring bikes. They're all day comfortable, handle and will outrun any cruiser regardless of the mods. Cruisers are fun, but they are geldings and sewing the nuts back on won't make it a stallion.

Francis
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 05:51 PM   #17
mikenomad
Founding Member

Default Re: People Who Know What They're Talking About

First of all, ignore anything LONGRIDE tells you about hopping up Vulcans. He doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground. He just proved it by what he said in his post.

Go to http://forums.delphiforums.com/kawvulcan.

These guys actually own and work on Vulcans and can tell you everything you need to know.
mikenomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 02:22 AM   #18
SRMark
Founding Member

ZX14 with ape hangers and forward controls, don't forget the fringe and have those louvers chromed. Live to ride, ride to live baby.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 04:07 AM   #19
wayback
Founding Member

First of all, ignore the squids who rate a bike by it's lap times in some magazine article when they can't get within 5 seconds of it themselves, although they are right about not being able to make a rocket out of a sled.

Next, check out these 2 websites:

http://www.gadgetjq.com/gadgetsfixitpage.htm

and

http://www.ridethatbike.com

You'll find some useful info on what you can do and what you can expect if you make the mods. Remember, it's about enjoying your ride not being the fastest ride around.
wayback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 05:06 AM   #20
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I think the best performance mod for a Nomad would be an extra hump on his camel.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote