Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   Motorcyclist Killed By Lightning (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/3690-motorcyclist-killed-lightning.html)

bradbarker738 06-22-2006 09:57 AM

Re: Motorcyclist Killed By Lightning

First?

Didn't his helmet protect him?

bigdx 06-22-2006 10:01 AM

Had to be a beanie ...

A foolface helmet would have made him invincible.

smithrob75 06-22-2006 10:13 AM

Re: Had to be a beanie ...

No, his problem was not wearing assless chaps and fingerless gloves. If I recall, if his pipes were loud enough that imparts a magical shield that protects him from all things that might harm him.

Also what does HD say about thunder, perhaps the start of a new marketing campaign.

civilskippy 06-22-2006 10:19 AM

Same thing happened here in Virginia last year.

Story excerpt: The VIRGINIAN-PILOT SOUTHAMPTON COUNTY - A 43-year-old Virginia Beach man was killed early Tuesday evening in Southampton County when he was struck by lightning while headed west on U.S. 58 on his motorcycle.. Richard Moran Jr. of Eddystone Drive was near the Courtland exit of business U.S. 58, police said.. A witness reported seeing the lightning strike the man, causing him to lose control of the bike, veer across the median into the eastbound lanes, and eventually off the side of the ...

Buzglyd 06-22-2006 10:33 AM

Well I've got a story of my own. Several years ago I was riding back from the desert on Hwy 78 in CA. My girl and I had taken off our jackets due to the stifling heat. As we approached the backside of the mountains near Julian, CA, some ominous clouds moved in and it started raining like a mutha.

We pulled to the side of the road to don our jackets and a bolt of lightening arched over us and hit the mountainside a VERY short distance away. We could see rocks fly up as the lightening hit the ground.

There but for the grace of God go I............

longride 06-22-2006 10:49 AM

Buzz's Girl: Honey did you ever cheat on me.

Buzz: No way Honey, and if I'm lying may God strike me dead with a bolt of lightning.

BOOM!

Buzz: See, he missed!

03zx12r 06-22-2006 11:01 AM

Something like that makes a person feel very insignificant. Nothing you can do. This guy didn't even see it coming. I guess the plastic on that Katana was no help.

Buzglyd 06-22-2006 11:37 AM

There goes yer tequila.

mscuddy 06-22-2006 11:37 AM

Well I was golfing in Cincinatti Ohio and it started clouding up real quick and this bolt of lightning hit a mallard or some kind of duck and it exploded into a giant ball of feathers, and for a for a split second just the bill was sticking out of the explosion like a Daffy Duck cartoon.

And that was it for the little black duck.

johnnyb 06-22-2006 11:54 AM

and to think we used to laugh at the brothers back in KC with those whatever-they're-called? grounding strips dragging the road behind their Caddys. Poor sap. Wonder if he was riding a Buell Lightning and angered the gods?