Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 06-23-2006, 02:48 AM   #21
bikervince
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcyclist Killed By Lightning

That, or how about getting hit by a falling tree as you are just riding by. That's what happened to this poor woman in NH last week.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13308425/

When it's your time, it's your time....

John
bikervince is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-23-2006, 03:43 AM   #22
svo68
Registered Member

if he hadn't been wearing his helmet, he would have felt his hair standing up just prior to the hit to know he was a target. he could have stopped and lay down curling up in a ball to avoid the strike......if it weren't for helmet laws this man might be alive today.
svo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 04:07 AM   #23
maladg
Registered Member

Like Buz, I too have a story. For once it is short. Year: 1986. Working in yard. Not raining. Typical hot, hazy, humid GA day. No hair standing. No thunder, no visible clouds. Only that awful summer "white sky". BOOOM! Lightning hits very close - about 50 feet away. Scares the crap outta me, ruins perfectly good underdrawers and kills my beloved Sony Trinitrion and my equally beloved Sony Beta. Strange that the tv & vcr got nailed but my old Dynaco PAS-3x & Mark III's skated. Lightning is inscrutable.

You can get nailed by a bolt from astorm that is over the horizon from you.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 04:27 AM   #24
pushrod
Founding Member

Yeah,

I saw him leave the BMW dealership on his way to the track day his wife had bought him for his b-day. He was dead less than an hour later.

Yep, when the Big Guy hits the Smite Button...

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 04:52 AM   #25
jmoore813
Registered Member

maybe it was a joke, but the plastic wouldn't have done anything to insulate from a lightning strike. Neither do your tires. To be an adequate insulator from lightning, the rubber on the tires would need to be close to a mile thick. In a cage, the metal frame and skin is what keeps you safe from the lightning. On a bike, we have nothing.
jmoore813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 05:39 AM   #26
cfc
Registered Member

One of those things that is beyond belief.

This reminds me of a story a number of years ago where a couple were killed on their bike. The headline read "Helmetless bikers killed in highway accident". The details of the story were that a Cessna (sp) had some major problems and crashed onto the highway dircetly on the bikers.

Bad Karma?
cfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 06:18 AM   #27
stodd1111
Founding Member

My Dad told me a story about going to visit Mom when they were first dating. He had a little 350cc motorcycle that he used to get to and from college, which was kick-start only. He was riding toward Dalton, Georgia when it came a driving rainstorm. Dad pulled over to the side, and was huddled under his rain poncho next to the bike next to a farmers field. In this field was this little tree, about twenty yards away, with no leaves on it which looked like Charlie Brown's Christmas tree.

After sitting there for a few minutes, the lightning started getting closer, and next a bolt from the sky vaporized that little tree. Dad swears that was the only time the little bike started on the first kick.
stodd1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 06:23 AM   #28
stodd1111
Founding Member

Default Re: Had to be a beanie ...

Makes you wonder what this guy said when he was cussing out the last cager to cut in on him.

stodd1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 06:27 AM   #29
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

My wife was hit by a small discharge of lightning. It hit the metal tip of the umbrella she was holding and melted the umbrella. She was not hurt but she says that she was tickled by the current.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 07:57 AM   #30
devonblue4u
Founding Member

Isn't a Can o' tuna steel framed and not aluminum like the more modern sportbikes? If so wouldn't that increase the likelyhood of a strike? My $0.02
devonblue4u is offline   Reply With Quote