Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 06-20-2006, 10:06 AM   #11
Tigercub
Founding Member

Default Re: Another ''fair to us MOFOs'' article

Believe me it was all I could do to keep my mouth shut and not laugh. I doubt he bought the Ninja 250 though.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-20-2006, 10:57 AM   #12
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default This guy is wearing a helmet

Read this newspaper article. http://www.eveningsun.com/localnews/ci_3955721

This guy was wearing but it didn't save him. Just cause ya wear or don't wear won't guarantee anything. Of course if I knew for a fact that I had a high probability of crashing on a particular day, I would just stay home and watch the telly.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 11:23 AM   #13
SRMark
Founding Member

Well said. All of the adventure sports entail a certain amount of risk and that, I believe is a large part of the allure. There is much to be said for mastering something that is difficult to do. While inherently safe pursuits such as learning to play an instrument, becoming a low handicap golfer, becoming proficient at a foreign language, etc. all result in a sense of accomplishment, when you add a physical risk factor into that equation, the rewards can be much more enhanced. It doesn't mean that you should throw caution to the wind. But it doesnÂ’t mean that we all need to settle for a bland diet. A Krispy Kreme, a little pizza, some habaneros, a good scotch, in moderation, enhance living. But all can hurt you if you arenÂ’t somewhat careful and donÂ’t exercise some risk management. Again, well said.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 02:10 PM   #14
Cathar
Founding Member

Default Re: This guy is wearing a helmet

"This guy was wearing but it didn't save him. Just cause ya wear or don't wear won't guarantee anything."

I never understand this sort of attitude. Of course there are no guarantees, nobody ever said that there's a guarantee that if you wear the right gear that you still won't get killed. It comes down to simple common sense. Would you rather get knocked off your bike by some errant driver and slide down the blacktop at 70mph while wearing full leathers, boots, gloves and helmet, or would you rather go sliding while wearing shorts, t-shirts, no helmet, no gloves and and runners?

If you get knocked off awkwardly, would you rather smack your head into the blacktop falling from a height of 6' while wearing a helmet, or not wearing a helmet? Keeping in mind that people dying from head and brain injuries even from falling over drunk outside of pubs and smacking their unprotected heads into the curb is not that uncommon.

Of course there's no guarantees. If your head gets run over by a truck, it won't matter if you're wearing a helmet or not, but for everything else short of certain death scenarios, protective gear can often mean the difference between a life-time of pain and misery, or simply getting up with a few grazes and bruises.
Cathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 04:45 PM   #15
obandoj
Founding Member

Default Re: Another ''fair to us MOFOs'' Article.

Positive press! What a refreshing idea.

Speaking of dangers to motorcyclists, today I was riding in Phoenix, AZ, in the Biltmore area. And as I stoped for a red light, there was evil impersonated in a Lexus next to me. This executive type jerk had an accordion file wedged between the seats and a laptop computer propped on the console, and was driving and working at the same time, he was erratic and dangerous and totally disregarding everybodys safety, what an arrogant piece of crap!

And there are many like him, so be careful and dress for the ride, gear and technique might save your hide.
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 12:49 AM   #16
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Default Re: This guy is wearing a helmet

I wonder if the helmet is DOT approved. I've personally seen a lot of cruiser riders buy & wear thin-shelled head covers (notice, I did NOT say "helmets") with fake DOT stickers. Just wondering.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:53 AM   #17
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Default Why do people do that?

Why do people wear unapproved helmets? Are they cooler, lighter, or more sylish than true DOT/Snell approved helmets?
Old 06-21-2006, 03:03 AM   #18
oldtim
Founding Member

Well said! Risk management (and risk identification) are key to surving life in general.
oldtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 06:00 AM   #19
pattonme
Founding Member

Default Re: Why do people do that?

they do it because they have to have something per the law. so they wear *something* so jonny law won't write them a "failure to have helmet" ticket. And where do you find such novelty helmets and fake DOT stickers sitting on the shelf/counter? Hardley Ableson (some) and custom cruiser dealers in mandatory helmet law states. Because if you ride a pig, or a chopper you're too cool to have to obey the law. don't you know?
pattonme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 06:03 AM   #20
pattonme
Founding Member

Default if helmets save lives...

and they do, take for a moment that I was playing kickball with some 7yr olds on a grass playing field, stumbled and did a face-first slide. Stood up and I have a MASSIVe hematoma on my leg. The doc was worried about compartment syndrome. I about lost my leg playing an elementary school game of all things. Do I here the nattering nabobs of nannism waging their finger at me for playing kickball?
pattonme is offline   Reply With Quote