Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   CNN Video Report on Helmets and Safety (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/3680-cnn-video-report-helmets-safety.html)

Ninjeff 06-20-2006 05:25 AM

Re: CNN Video Report on Helmets and Safety

i beleive he meant the motogp race. In which case, it wasnt the fire suits and HANS devices.....because they dont wear those.

It was the "magical Shoei" because they would have busted mellons all over the track other wise.

johnnyb 06-20-2006 05:42 AM

rebellious stupidity and just plain stupidity, it is all fun to watch innit? Like the man said, Hell is the impossibility of reason.

Ninjeff 06-20-2006 06:07 AM

Re: Would it have been me?

agreed. Ive seen the vid tons of times before, and i cant really say she was at fault here. Regardless of checking mirrors, i know i dont expect some car do that on the highway....

Still, its easy for us to critique the accident because the camera shows the action.....we cant be sure wht she was looking at because we cant see her eyes. The camera (and what it see's) isnt an accurate portrayal of what SHE see's. Either way, i feel bad for her. The accident isnt her fault, and she walked away because whe was wearing gear. That much is obvious.

Wonder if she was hot....

Ninjeff 06-20-2006 06:24 AM

Wow. You guys take stuff WAAAAAAAAAAAY to personally.

bigdx 06-20-2006 06:54 AM

"If you could get an honest answer from at least half of the riders who go without a helmet, they would tell you the reason why is because of image"

On what do you base this assessment? I know a few folks who do not wear helmets and I have yet to see any indication that image has anything to do with it.

"This is particularly true of the harley riders who spend countless hours polishing the chrome and combing the tassels on their handlebars but don't want to be "bothered" with the helmet"

Not sure why enjoying cleaning your bike (or car for that matter) should be considered in a derogatory manner, or how it can be considered as indication of correlation between helmet-less and image. Am I right to assume you to be physiologist to have such an in depth understanding of human behavior?

"I have even talked to people who say they wear a helmet if they're going riding by themselves, but leave it at home for group rides."

You have? Funny, the folks I know that ride helmet-less all do so whether rider in a group or alone. I also see many helmet-less riders riding alone. I guess I must have missed the people you talked to, no?

"You've just gotta love rebellious conformity."

Not half as much as misplaced self-righteousness Â…

mad1 06-20-2006 07:45 AM

Highly unlikely is a very subjective matter. In any case, it is your freedom to risk your face/most of your skull. Just not something I'd do. BTW, although I don't agree with your points, I appreciate the reasoned language of your last post. Ride safe.....

Thruxomatic 06-20-2006 10:26 PM

Re: Helmet laws save lives i.e. government involvemet is good.

Weird that Mencken, who I normally like quite a bit, came up with that statement.

Astrology is victimless. Even the believers don't consider themselves 'victims' and they certainly can't impose their beliefs on anyone else.

Polygamy is just a corporation with some sex thrown in, and considering that every corporation I've ever worked for has been rife with office romances and flings, they aren't even really much different on that level, either. The exception is that polygamists formalize who they will be sleeping with and people working for a corporation tend to be a bit more free with their choice of partners.

Comparing either one to cannibalism, where someone is definitely a victim and has had 100% of their rights removed by force ... permanently ... is just retarded.

Thruxomatic 06-20-2006 10:55 PM

Baloney. People's actions never occur in a vacuum.

Check out the cost of breaking your leg sometime. Canadians visiting the States who injure themselves often come back financially ruined because they have to pay the real dollar cost of their care ... and that's for something that's going to heal. Pay into medicare your entire life and you likely won't pay in enough to cover the cost of a compound fracture, which means some other, safer, citizens are subsidizing your dangerous lifestyle with their tax dollars.

Go a step further and become a lifelong invalid and the costs go through the roof. You will blow many lifetimes of health care for live-in care, repeat visits to the doctor, rehab attempts, meds, etc.

Even if you die, there is a significant cost for all the health care leading up to the minute you are officially declared dead (EMT, Doctors, nurses, emerg bed and time, drugs) and then comes the funeral.

In a country without state-subsidized care, it could actually be your family footing the entire bill, or at best some insurance company who will just pass on the cost to their other customers in their rates.

Do you have the right to impose those costs on your family, the state or the insurance company without their consent? You could argue that the insurance company took into account the danger when they decided rates, but your fellow citizens or your family members aren't getting paid every month as a guard against the possibility of you becoming a financial burden. They don't see a financial benefit at all for your choice to ride without a helmet or drive without a seatbelt ... they just see the costs.

IMO, wearing a helmet and other safety gear is a pretty reasonable compromise between our rights as riders and the rights of the general populace.

Thruxomatic 06-20-2006 11:16 PM

Re: Rider was a squid

Preparation minimizes risk ... it doesn't eliminate it. There is only so much you can do to account for the completely unpredictable.

My friend has trained in martial arts since he was a child and is at least a black belt level in three different disciplines. Watching him walk around is like watching a cat in a strange room, constantly looking for the threat, even if there isn't one. So what happens? He goes Christmas shopping in a busy mall and some nutbar stabs him in the back with a homemade knife. No motive, no warning, no possible prep time and more or less completely unpredictable. You could walk in that mall a million times and not get stabbed, but he did. He's beaten up three people at once defending me from some punks trying to pick a fight, but was laid low for two months in the hospital by a 130 lb. mentally ill person who wasn't identifiably 'different' enough to twig his radar.

You can't be 100% on, 100% of the time and even if you could, there are situations that are beyond the limitations of even prepared, skilled humans.

eddyline 06-21-2006 07:10 AM

Re: Helmet laws save lives i.e. government involvemet is good.

I don't think that he was really that moralistic; he was just pointing out how amoral the pols are.