Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 06-19-2006, 04:04 PM   #61
NLJ
Founding Member

Default Re: CNN Video Report on Helmets and Safety

Funny the radical "Uncle Sam's holding me down" type go nutz over a helmet law, but never seem to say anything about seatbelt laws. Is there a state that doesn't have a seatbelt law???? Why is that ok, but a helmet law isn't ok?

If your brave enough to get on a bike without a helmet, more power to you, but you should pay higher insurance rates. I'm tired of paying higher rates for medical and cycle insurance because of all the squids that bust their heads on the pavement. All freedoms come at a price.
NLJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-19-2006, 06:36 PM   #62
Joseph_Betor
Founding Member

Default Re: Would it have been me?

Actually, she does try to go to the right, but runs out of time. She's just crossed over into the next lane when the impact occurs. Looking at the timer at the top of the video, there's a little over 2 seconds between the time the car starts to lose control and the impact. Her second worst problem (first being the car in front of her) is there's already a car occupying her escape route. Without that there, she might have be able to swerve more forcefully.

And she was riding fairly safely. Even passing the slow cars in the right two lanes, she left herself lots of space between her and the car ahead of her in the lane. Perhaps she could have avoided the crash, but I wouldn't criticize her (particularly as she was wise enough to wear good gear.)
Joseph_Betor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 08:54 PM   #63
crevans
Founding Member

Something for all us motorcyclists to hang in the garage next to the bike: http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/...r-p-17077.html
crevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 09:31 PM   #64
The_Boy
Registered Member

While I completely agree with you about raising insurance rates if you do not wear a helmet. (I would actually go further to deny payout for not wearing proper gear. And if you ended up in a ER because of your "Freedom," and can't pay - Off to the dumpster you go...)

We both know that insurance companies would use this as an open door to ultimately deny insurance to any one who rides (helmet, or no helmet). It could become a very slippery slope.

The_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 11:20 PM   #65
bmwdude
Founding Member

Default Re: Helmet laws save lives i.e. government involvemet is good.

I've got a better idea, let just outlaw cars! After all, cars are where most of our problems come from?
bmwdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 12:19 AM   #66
JmalB
Premium Member

It's for picking up his daughter at his ex-wife's latest ex-husband's house...
JmalB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 02:29 AM   #67
Auphliam
Founding Member

Not slanted?

They made sure to mention the increase in deaths since Florida's law was repealed, but somehow forgot to mention how Washington's death's (73 and counting) are they highest they've ever been since their helmet law was implemented in 1990. I guess they saved that bit of info for the piece they are planning on doing on how helmets don't work and the damage they do. Hold your breath for that one.

Its not always what they say that provides the slant. Many times, it is what they choose to leave out. Counting up bodies and equating those numbers directly to helmet use is a favorite propaganda tool for the anti-bike lobby.

Aside from that, I do agree (as someone that does choose to go helmetless at times) it was a very good piece.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:29 AM   #68
articulat_66
Registered Member

Default Re: Rider was a squid

You can't know if she was checking her mirrors from the video. and how often do you expect a car to suddenly flip a U turn in the middle of the freeway. Why don't you read her critique of the accident before you second guess.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:39 AM   #69
Auphliam
Founding Member

Yeah, I guess their survival had nothing to do with the $5mil dollar, carbon fiber chassis they had wrapped around their arses either, or the firesuits, or the HANS devices. It was just that Holy Shoei on their mellons that did it all.

We should make everything we use in life as safe as modern science will permit. Of course, as just stoopid hoomins, the gov't will have to legislate to us that we not be stoopid anymore and force us to buy this technology.

Old 06-20-2006, 02:43 AM   #70
Auphliam
Founding Member

Seatbelt laws aren't okay, but nobody is willing to stand up for anything. Our whole society took that ream job and keep asking for more.

Everyone just keeps repeating that same mantra, which equates to "you took my rights, take theirs too" instead of fighting to maybe get some of your rights back.