Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 06-19-2006, 08:20 AM   #11
maxriderdon
Founding Member

Default Re: Helmet laws save lives i.e. government involvemet is good.

I wear a helmet but...helmet laws while you can argue save lives, also limits freedoms. Why not just outlaw motorcycles, would that not save even more lives?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-19-2006, 08:27 AM   #12
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

The government tends to... never mind.

How's the weather in Seattle?
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 08:29 AM   #13
johnnyb
Founding Member

Default Re: CNN Video Report on Helmets and Safety

also what is the religion that doesn't believe in blood transfusions or modern medicine in general? I think i will join them also, all this stuff that science has given us to make life better and longer i have decided does just the Opposite. I hereby reject antibiotics and redundant hydraulic systems on jets also. abolish the FDA, the FAA and the FFA!

anybody see all those crashes in Spanish GP yeaterday? couple concussions in 130-mph pile-up, but everybody's OK and will live to race again. Of course, who's to say the accident might have been avoided had the riders been able to see and hear each other more cleary without helmets. ?
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 08:36 AM   #14
mii54ws
Founding Member

Great video; thanks for the link. I have decided to not debate on this subject any more; very counter-productive. I've always used a helmet and since my motorcross racing days (decades ago), it's always a full-face one. Don't do that stuff any more, just fun (AND ALERT) rides on my Nomad.
mii54ws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 08:49 AM   #15
Gritboy
Founding Member

Nice unslanted coverage for a change. It's always good for motorcyclists to see REAL accidents to remind them that squidly behavior, however much fun it is, and just bad luck can bring that grey matter in touch with the pavement real quick. In many accidents/slides, even minor ones, doing a head tap is very common.

In my younger, "me stupid" years of motorcycle messengering and canyon racing, I totaled two bikes and I can vouch for the importance of a FULL FACE helmet and decent protective gear. I've never gotten more than some bruises and scratches and I can still do math and say my name, while my bikes were bent wrecks. I ride in full gear even in 100+ temps and consider it a fair trade-off for getting to ride on two wheels both on the street and in the dirt.
Gritboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 08:56 AM   #16
sarnali
Founding Member

That's got to be the most Draconian argument going, why is it an automatic leap from helmet laws to banning bikes altogether?

There's many activities from horse back steeplechases to high school football that are more dangerous than motorcycling, are they banned? Endless contoversy over helmet laws just dilutes the AMA's efforts at real meaningful legislation for rider safety like driver awarness training and loud pipes. Those are the real threat's to our right to ride. not the right to look like a cabbage in a wheel chair because you made the "choice" to "be free", or the right to have your kids change your diaper because of your right to be "in the wind"...

I'm afraid I just don't see the government as some big bad boogie man trying to take away my freedom.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 08:57 AM   #17
bigdx
Founding Member

I guess if you are dumb enough to speed past gas stations you do really need to wear a helmet. In fact, anybody that speeds past intersections or entryways to gas stations, stores and malls should rather be inside playing on the old XBox
bigdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 09:26 AM   #18
bigdx
Founding Member

Default Two fools

1.) What type of fool low-sides a perfectly good working cycle on a perfectly good road in perfect weather?

2.) What type of fool follows so closely that he cannot avoid when the rider in front of him has a mishap?

Had they not been showboating neither would have fallen.

bigdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 09:27 AM   #19
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

It's not Draconian at all. His argument was government makes laws that save lives = good. The natural extension of the mindset is that more lives saved = better. If motorcycles were banned then more lives are saved. That's called logic. There is no argument to that fact. By the way, there are plenty of people in a wheel chair and are veggies because of their 'choice' to be free and ride a motorcycle, and plenty of them had a helmet on. What is your solution to that? And no, high school football and steeplechases aren't nearly as dangerous. Not even close. Can you imagine if a couple thousand kids got killed playing football every year? How long do you think THAT sport would last? The AMA is correct that once you go down the road of 'safety first', there is only one conclusion; motorcycles must go. The only reason for the 'endless controversy' is the endless amount of people that worry about crap they need to keep their noses out of. The government has no business legislating morality or personal safety. If I want my kids to change my diapers, then it's no business of anyone but me. Motorcycle bans have been proposed in the 80's, and they may be again. All we need is the right climate of apathy to make that happen. Looks like that climate is almost there.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:29 AM   #20
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Hey John, you smoke cigs right? Sounds like you already rejected all the stuff that makes you live longer, eh?