Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 06-13-2006, 08:23 AM   #91
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

Default Re: Big Ben Rings His Bell

You are seeing human nature at work.

The further you get from 'the norm' the more ridicule for your choices you see. We already get some ridicule because we choose to ride motorcycles; to many people, that alone is an unacceptable risk and if we get injured, those people love saying "I told you so". The injury is proof-positive that they made the correct decision and you made the wrong one and there is nothing that humans like more than feeling "right".

The issue with Big Ben is that he took a few more steps away from the norm. Not only did he ride a motorcycle (bad), he rode a really fast one equivalent to an exotic car (worse) and he did it without properly protecting himself to minimize injury (worse yet). He did it risking millions of dollars in lost income (extremely bad) and did it in violation of his contract (the worst). Sure, the cager looks to be at fault, but the accident would never have happened had Big Ben been smart and just abided by the terms of his contract in the first place. If I was his agent, I would wait until he was healed and then smack him around again for being so stupid.

Your mother-in-law just took a walk outside and comparing the two is just ridiculous.

m_t_yeo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-13-2006, 08:32 AM   #92
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

Default Re: Other than not wearing a helmet? That covers it

Sting said it best: "The Russians love their children, too."
Old 06-13-2006, 08:35 AM   #93
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

Amen. It should be a no brainer for an NFL player facing an average career length of a few years at most to be as safe as possible off the field to ensure that he can earn as much as possible while on it. It isn't like many of them have much to fall back on if they do get injured.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:36 AM   #94
Auphliam
Founding Member

Look, the Mom-in-law comment was meant to make a point. The guy did nothing wrong and he is being crucified by everyone. I expect that from the general uneducated public but my point was the motorcycle community should know better.

1) He has no contract clause forbidding him from riding. I live in Pittsburgh and it has been a hotly discussed topic for the 2 years he's been here.

2) Like it or not, we don't have a helmet law here.

Did he make poor choices? Obviously yes. But the accident was not his fault. He was cutoff by a cager that wasn't paying attention and did a 30mph faceplant into the corner of the A pillar and the roofline of a NewYorker. Now, can anybody on here guarantee that his injuries would be fewer or less severe if he were wearing a lid? No, as much as everyone likes to turn into holier-than-thou prophets, you cannot guarantee any such thing.

Take off the halo folks, the look doesn't fit you.

Old 06-13-2006, 08:56 AM   #95
Auphliam
Founding Member

Well, I was commenting from a "rival quarterback" point of view
Old 06-13-2006, 11:50 AM   #96
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

Seeing as we can't rewind time and have him do the faceplant again with a full face helmet, I'll agree that we can't 100% guarantee he would be less injured with a full helmet, but the odds would be good enough that I would personally put money on it again and again and again.

Thanks for the tip on his contract, though why the Steelers agreed to that clause with a known rider seems crazy to me. It is pretty much de facto with most major sports.

Old 06-13-2006, 12:53 PM   #97
davidhaner
Founding Member

How about this for callous; I wish it had happened BEFORE they cheated my Seahawks out of the superbowl. That is, if it had to happen at all.
davidhaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 12:57 PM   #98
davidhaner
Founding Member

Default Re: So the Recap........

You couldn't have said it better.
davidhaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 07:09 PM   #99
nadimnabil
Founding Member

I think he was stupid for riding a motorcycle without gear, but frankly making the choice to live his life doing things he enjoyed regadless of a football career is not something I will fault him for. Failing to get insurance to cover for a career ending injury is something I will fault him for.

I see the logic in the argument that he should hold off on riding until his career was over, but frankly its his choice. You can't buy back your youth, you gotta enjoy the time you get and apparently the enjoyment he got was worth the risk to him, but I'm guessing he will wear a helmet next time.

nadimnabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 02:22 AM   #100
mhertz17
Registered Member

He did not need gear as it was revealed today he does not have a motorcycle license. If you do not have a license I guess you do not need safety gear.
mhertz17 is offline   Reply With Quote