Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 06-11-2006, 10:33 PM   #21
bmwdude
Founding Member

Default Re: Fatal Group Ride

I agree. From the read, I looks as if lack of rider skill started it. Then, lack of driver skill finished it. Speed was not mentioned?

A very sad day in NH.
bmwdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-11-2006, 10:43 PM   #22
DaveZX6
Founding Member

Everyone can make a mistake and run wide. I've also seen motorcycles, cars & SUVs cut over a centerline on purpose during a left turn like they were on a racetrack. Thats why in tight two lane road I'll always take a line well away from the centerline. That saved my butt in WV mountains on a posted 25mph right turn a pickup going the other way had to be 4 feet over the line on my side..Whew!
DaveZX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 01:32 AM   #23
bmwdude
Founding Member

Theory:

He entered the corner too fast, used the brakes improperly (didn't tail brake to tighten his line), his bike stood up straight and went left of center?

A sad fact, most of us don't practice our basic skills nearly enough?
bmwdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 01:44 AM   #24
sanchin
Registered Member

Sadly, there was another multiple fatality yesterday. I am not going to speculate on ways it could have been prevented, but just hope people pause and remember how dangerous it is out there.

http://www.unionleader.com/
sanchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 01:58 AM   #25
SRMark
Founding Member

What ever the cause, it is the death or injuries of these motorists that matters most. The loss to their families and friends is next. Sad times for sure.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 02:48 AM   #26
motonut_1
Founding Member

I often see large groups of motorcycles (especially cruiser style bikes) riding in "formation". Generally, they are densly packed. This certainly lends itself to the possibility of multiple collisions in a situation similar to this one. An unfortunate reality of group riding.
motonut_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 07:09 AM   #27
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Unfortuneatly s hit happens. It's always easy to look at incidents like this with perfect hindsight clarity but things like this happen in a variety of ways and will continue to happen. Yes, I agree that riding in these big groups is asking for it. Usually these big poker run type groups have just come from a bar or maybe people like to ride "easy rider" style at two abreast which is just plain dangerous. I'm just rambling here but riding with others may be cool and fun but instead of just paying attention for yourself you have to pay attention to them also and that complicates the safety aspect of riding in my estimation.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 07:33 AM   #28
paulbrowne
Registered Member

Here's the link to the article.

http://www.sentinelsource.com/main.a...SectionID=&S=1
paulbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 07:40 AM   #29
Mooner
Founding Member

I usually ride by myself or with one other person. I don't mind the occaisional group ride, but an extra amount of caution is definitly required when you don't know the others' riding styles. I once was in a small group of 4 total, guys from work. All of these guys were older (than me anyway I am in my late 20's) at 50+, and all had been riding a large portion of their lives. The thing was, all of these guys had the habit of re-arranging order as we travelled by passing in the same lane as the others were travelling in. Man, the first few times that happend I was suprised. I like to use the whole lane, for a variety of reasons. Needless to say, I decided to drop to the back of the pack where I could keep an eye on these guys.
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 07:41 AM   #30
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Theory:

Majority of the people out there riding never had the basic skills to begin with.