Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 06-08-2006, 04:18 AM   #21
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: MI House Passes Helemt Repeal Bill.

I find it funny that us motorcyclists want the car drivers to accept our choice to ride a motorcycle and be unsafe. And let's not kid ourselves, motorcycle riding is very unsafe compared to driving a car no matter what protection you have, or don't have. I'm sure a poll would show that 90% of people that don't ride think motorcyclists are idiots. Then comes the repeal of the helmet law, and suddenly everyone that rides without one is a complete idiot, and is going to die. I don't think the irony can get any better that these moronic statements actually come from the motorcyclists themselves. You know, the ones that want everyone to applaud their decision to ride and be unsafe, but certainly hate when anyone else makes an unsafe choice, like they did. Remember that Indian Larry and Larry Grodsky are both dead. Both would have still been alive today if their transportation choice would have been different, say a 5 star crash rated auto. One was an idiot, and the other a safety nut. I believe Idiot Larry and Safety Larry were about the same age. One lived his life like he wanted, and the other followed all the rules. Each is just as dead as the other. One with a helmet, and one without. Sometimes it's brains, sometimes it's choices, and sometimes it's plain dumb luck.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-08-2006, 04:35 AM   #22
seruzawa
The Toad

I'm constantly amazed at the amount of animus that these same pc types have for other motorcyclists. The average car driver doesn't have nearly the amount of desire to see motorcylists killed as is obvious from all the cracks on these threads about Darwin. This leads to an even greater level of hilarity because these people don't understand Darwinianism and are actually parroting Nazi Eugenics when yakking about improving the gene pool.

Old 06-08-2006, 04:43 AM   #23
SquareTire
Registered Member

As for helmets-I'm pro-choice. I don't even like being told by the government that I have to wear a seatbelt in the car. None of their business.

However, I always wear a seatbelt-- and a helmet-- although not at the same time!
SquareTire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 04:48 AM   #24
Gordy
Registered Member

Not to worry, safetynauts! I'm sure that Jennifer will veto this diabolical legislation as soon as it crosses her desk. Unless she can figure out a way to tax non helmeted riders....
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 04:57 AM   #25
desmojub
Founding Member

Let us not forget the fact that if this passes, Michigan with have a ticket enforcable seat belt law, but no helmet law?...makes no sense.
desmojub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 04:58 AM   #26
bmwdude
Founding Member

Good points.

Bottom line, life ends in death, none of us are getting out alive!

I personally believe in reasonable risk management. Knowing full well one day the bell will chime for me. Our choice is, do we hide or do we live?

I choose to LIVE! As the Bushido would say, "life in every breath"

My one wish is to NOT end up like one of my close friends who is now in a wheelchair as the result of an inattentive cager. Here the helmet didn't help! As part of free choice, we must accept, next time it could be ME. "There but for the grace of God go I"?

I also feel that government needs to be kept out of as much of our lives as possible. If history has taught us anything it has taught us, rights are taken away far more often than they are given. Government regulation is a Pandora's box that is better left unopened?
bmwdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 05:09 AM   #27
SmokeU
Registered Member

Every state has an enforceable seat belt law.
Old 06-08-2006, 05:09 AM   #28
sarnali
Founding Member

from a purely biological point of veiw it's debatable that selective breeding does improve the gene pool...While the nazi's and slave owners certainly applied the theory with some success, look at the resiliance of mutts over purebreed dogs.

Take for example German Shepards or Bernese Mountain Dogs and hip displasia, despite very intense efforts to selectively breed this condition out it persists today. When was the last time you saw a hienz 57 with any kind of hereditery flaw? Look at the Canadian natives in the 16th century virtually wiped out by small pox and flu and other desieses that they had no imunity too. it wasn't till they started interbreeding and living around whites that they developed imunity to these virus's

By saying that not wearing a helmet improves the gene pool total ignores the fact that

A. They may have already breed before they croaked, in which case the taint remains,

B. A lot of stupid people wear helmets and breed

C. The vast majority of societies mentally suspect drive cars and SUV's, pick-ups, Subaru's etc....A helmet law makes no difference to them unless they also ride motorcycles.

In short, spouting off about "I hope they all get killed blah blah blah" only shows what a narrow minded ****head the person doing the spouting is.

I wear a helmet and would wear one whether it was the law or not and I feel sympathy for eveyone who gets killed on a bike helmeted or not, when we get to the point where we're glad a fellow motorcyclist gets his or her ticket punched, we're no better than that rancid pile of dung in Kansas that celebrates at soldiers and gays funerals..

sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 05:22 AM   #29
seruzawa
The Toad

#1 humans aren't dogs.

#2 The entire subject is way too nebulous and ends up becoming political. After all, the great advances of humanity were the creations of individuals, not commitees or groups. The people who get things done are usually the maverick type and would be targetted for elimination in any organized attempt to "breed better humans". Certainly any such organized attempt would eventually try to get rid of characteristics that would make an individual want to do anything as dangerous as riding a motorcycle.
Old 06-08-2006, 05:40 AM   #30
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Good for you. Just remember that no one is taking your right to wear a helmet away. What p isses you off more, that others can do as they please or that they aren't doing what you do? Why don't you just join the military where you can have the government telling you what to do 24/7 and these days that means getting your a ss blow to bits for monkey boy wimp a ss George.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote