Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 06-07-2006, 11:08 AM   #21
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Old Girl Found Neglected in Junkyard

I bet he saw it right next to his GS850. If ya hurry, you can still get a good deal on it.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-07-2006, 12:54 PM   #22
bigdx
Founding Member

Default Re: Hogly type

Harley Davison, making mechanics out of riders since 1903?

When I bought my first hog I heard a lot of stories like that but it never happened. The only time I ever need to swing a wrench is when I change/customize something. With normal maintenance they never break ...
bigdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 01:40 PM   #23
johnnyb
Founding Member

u r just prolonging its agony. put a bullet in its head.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 04:44 PM   #24
FrankS1
Founding Member

I've been bit by the nostalgia bug several times, but I have managed to deal with the feeling by getting a somewhat improved version of what I had originally. At least so far, that has been my method.

In 1966, I traded my Triumph TR6 in on a Norton Atlas. The handling of the Atlas was up to a level only equalled by Ducati several years later, and by the Japanese after 20 years had gone by. BUT.. it shook the fillings out of my teeth, and kept losing alternator stators and the K2F magneto had numerous bad days..

But I still had fond memories of the Atlas, so I wound up buying a 1970 Commando. Same engine as the Atlas, but much easier to live with - electronic ignition and a Mikuni carb took care of the starting problems, while the Isolastic engine isolation kept the vibration down to a barely noticeable level. The handling wasn't quite as good, but being 30 years older, I didn't need to push it as hard..

And before that, I was once the owner of a little Yamaha YDS2. The nostalgia bug bit again, but 250 cc Yamahas are unobtainable, so I wound up with a later (by 12 years) RD400. Up to 100 mph, it will keep up with anything made today, and kill all the nearby mosquitos in the process. No, I would not like to take it near a smoggy city, but it isn't much of a problem if I am discreet, out here in the country. There are plenty of old diesel Ford pickups around here, and if I stay in the vicinity of one, my smoke is undetectable.

So, I haven't let the nostalgia bug overwhelm me. Of course, if I happened to see a harmonica badged TR6 with yellow and white paint on the tank, it might be a different story.
FrankS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 12:13 AM   #25
xlr8r
Founding Member

When I was a penniless student thirty-five years ago I had a Matchless 350 single which I could run for almost nothing and fix with wire and duct tape when it went wrong. After a couple of years I sold it.

A few months ago I was driving along when I noticed the car in front of me had a trailer with a couple of old bikes on it - and yep, my old Matchless was one of them! I got the guy to pull over and explained that it used to be mine all those years ago. The guy was a real enthusiast, and full of questions: was it the same now as when I'd had it? Anything changed in the meantime (yes, it'd acquired a new tank at some stage). Anyway, it now lives in a nice little town by the coast and gets ridden regularly on sunny days and taken to rallies to be showed off, which is a better life than I could ever have given it. I'm glad it's enjoying its retirement - but no, I don't want it back.
xlr8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 12:27 PM   #26
lwatcdr
Founding Member

Default Re: Hogly type

So what you are saying is that Japanese motorcycles are like computers. The keep getting better, and faster every year? And that for the same price as your old one you can get a much faster one in a few years?

lwatcdr is offline   Reply With Quote