Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 05-29-2006, 03:34 PM   #61
fastoldman
Founding Member

Default Re: What is pugilistic?

I do not think North Korea extorting goods with nukes is a good thing, I just don't think we'll overcome them with force.

I think Ahdmenijad (?) is posturing, just like the rest of the middle eastern dictators, with the purpose of frothing up the anger of his base of support. Like the religious fundamentalists in this country, I don't believe he is serious; I think he just wants to profit from fearmongering and warlike rhetoric. If he did one thing to Israel that the Mossad could prove, Israel would wipe Iran off the map. I don't believe any political figure on earth believes in the afterlife that much. As soon as it happens, I'll change my mind, but until then I just don't believe it. I am too cynical about the will to power.

I like the idea that building a missile shield would take away the first strike policy, but the argument is flawed. The chance that we would let Iran become a power capable of launching weapons which could hit us could only happen if we destroy our economy so fully that we cannot do anything to them. Which could happen. I recommend reading Wealth and Democracy by Kevin Phillips on this point. The real danger from regimes like Iran is that they will put nukes out on the terrorist market for some real psychopath to use in a suicide bombing, or something similar. Therefore a terribly expensive shield is nowhere near as effective as investing in counterintelligence operations. Plus which, every source I have heard on this topic thinks it is an unrealistic goal. Do some people in the military believe it could work? There must be some. I doubt they are more than a small minority, though.

It appears that the way this whole political fearmongering thing works is for there to be a boogieman to keep the populace scared. Right now, we have Islamic fascism, and the Islamic fascists, who are far outnumbered by reasonable Muslims, have us as boogiemen. If we take away our side of that, the fascists have less control over their populace, and will eventually be driven out by their own. The same is true of our fascists, if the threat of terrorism goes away.

So building a missile shield, even if it could work which it can't, would be fighting an enemy which doesn't exist. A bad thing, no?
fastoldman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-29-2006, 05:42 PM   #62
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Default Re: Gas Prices Are Better Than Ever. Not!

But that will only leave us with helmets, break-ins, repubs, and demos to argue about...THERE WILL BE A VOID!!!!
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 05:45 PM   #63
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Default Re: Your data is incorrect which is leading you to an incorrect conclusion.

I thought you were disconnected until the 5th.

Tease!

Old 05-29-2006, 05:50 PM   #64
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Default Re: BZZZZT! Sorry, mike nomad!

I do that to K-Hole every once in a while to see how dedicated he is to making sure it is switched back.

It makes me giggle like a school girl when I notice he went through each and every one of his posts to switch it back to read "intelligent".

The perks of working from home...

Old 05-29-2006, 05:58 PM   #65
bigdx
Founding Member

"My good friends, this is the second time in our history that there has come back from Germany to Downing Street peace with honour. I believe it is peace for our time."

Neville Chamberlain

bigdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 12:52 AM   #66
fastoldman
Founding Member

Touche.
fastoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 02:13 AM   #67
stoney8888
Founding Member

Default Re: Excellent Point

kettle black
stoney8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 03:16 AM   #68
bigdx
Founding Member

Default Re: Excellent Point

Good motivation for your statement ... as usual.
bigdx is offline   Reply With Quote