Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 05-28-2006, 02:44 PM   #41
pplassm
Founding Member

Default Re: Gas Prices Are Better Than Ever. Not!

Unfortunately, the Greenie-pandering EPA won't allow many of these diesels here. Impending regulations will put the existing diesels from VW off the market.

Get a turbo-diesel Beetle or Passat now, while you still can!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-28-2006, 04:37 PM   #42
Buzglyd
Founding Member

And you think people are living beyond their means because they can't afford food or rent?

Or is it giant trucks and plasma tvs on those credit cards?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 05:46 PM   #43
fastoldman
Founding Member

Default That's alright, I saw it anyway

I suspect the discrepancy between my numbers and the WP is largely due to the fact that some economists don't put social security into the budget; it is its own separate thing, call it a lockbox if you will. Once one accepts that point, which I do but I won't get too upset if others disagree, it only takes a small amount of haggling about how individual items are reported to end up with a budget that has defense as over 50. I think quite clearly people can argue about the percentages for a long time without ever being able to tell who wins.

Doesn't change my point that defense can be cut dramatically. Frankly, I am a complete isolationist. I think we cause more problems than we solve by inserting ourselves into the affairs of the rest of the world. We have gotten away with it due to our complete economic and military domination since WWII, but those past wins, I think, will come back to haunt us when we are no longer dominant in those areas. And I think it is becoming clear that while we are dominant in the latter category, we are losing our hold on the economic realm.

Anyway, to attempt to stay on point, it is my understanding that if we decided to cut way back on our defense spending and essentially just sit tight in north america, not spending so much on all those imperialist bases, etc, there is very little the rest of the world could do to harm us other than what they're trying to do right now. Iran and North Korea do not have missiles that could reach anywhere near the US, even if this whole missile shield boondoggle could possibly work, which no one with any expertise in the field believes it is anywhere near able to do. Find me someone who thinks it's a good idea, and I'll show you somebody poised to make money off getting government support for the project, or a sucker. In other words, I think most defense spending, as well as most governmental spending in general, is set up to funnel the moneys of the many to the pockets of a few rich investors.

Hence, if we slash that porkpile, we should have enough to throw at developing alternatives to our overweening dependence on the internal combustion engine. That's about enough ***** droning out of me.

Thanks, btw, for doing what you think you're doing regarding smart defense spending. I very much appreciate bringing that thrifty attitude to government spending - please keep it up.
fastoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 05:55 PM   #44
fastoldman
Founding Member

Default are you trying to tell us you really are so ***** stupid

that you think a) either of those countries has anything anywhere close to the ability to fire a missile at the US, and b) that a missile defense system has even a remotely small chance of working? I'm going to have to revise my opinion of who you are. There's a not a latently homosexual 15 year old basement dweller in north america that would believe such tripe. Perhaps you really are a braindead, violent, latent homosexual, slow moving HD rider (no offense to fast moving HD riders). And here I thought you might be a witty poser. Silly me.
Old 05-28-2006, 05:58 PM   #45
fastoldman
Founding Member

Default Re: BZZZZT! Sorry, mike nomad!

agreed.
Old 05-28-2006, 06:05 PM   #46
fastoldman
Founding Member

Default Nice response, but

what about the fact that that horrifying price increase is on top of the incredible population explosion in those 37 years, the increase in demand from china and india as well as the rest of the world, and the fact that we are very likely in the peak oil moment right now? I mean, 3 years ago everyone was schized out about oil reaching $40 a barrel, and now we are trumpeting when it falls under $70. This is circumstantial, I know, but at a certain point the buildup of circumstantial evidence becomes overwhelming (almost all countries upped their reserve estimates once OPEC decided to tie production to your reserves, etc). And M. King Hubbert was right about US oil production, perhaps he is right about global? What will happen when demand for oil outstrips supply? Perhaps you'll have to give up more than a snack cake.
Old 05-28-2006, 06:21 PM   #47
fastoldman
Founding Member

Default Re: BZZZZT! Sorry, mike nomad!

Incorrect is just bizarre in this case, and I didn't do it. Do you think moderating all of pencildx's posts as idiotic troll is chickenshyt, because I DO THAT WHENEVER (goddamn caps lock button) I get a chance.
Old 05-28-2006, 07:12 PM   #48
sarnali
Founding Member

That was the whole point of my missive. The vehicles already exist all we need to do is import them. We don't need a massive shift away from gas and deisel, just import and sell the same vehicles the rest of the world gets that use it most efficiently.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 08:19 PM   #49
Aero_Mongoose
Founding Member

Default Re: That's alright, I saw it anyway

Thanks for the encouragement. I agree with you about the data manipulation; I hate to see it happen, but it's a fact of life. We really just have to decide for ourselves what assumptions are valid and draw our own conclusions.

What I like is having a reasonable conversation with someone over things we disagree about. Seems like it's getting harder to come by all the time.

Nice chatting with you FOM; stay fast.
Aero_Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 09:43 PM   #50
ksquid
Banned

Default Re: Excellent Point

How? you are bad with math aren't you? it's ok to admit it.. To me it is really simple... in constant 2005 dollars gas is approaching the record set in 1981.. Tell me I used to be a Math tutor in college..
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote