Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 05-26-2006, 10:00 AM   #21
davidhaner
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycle Gas Mileage: What's yours?

I love making important facts.
davidhaner is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-26-2006, 10:00 AM   #22
schizuki
Founding Member

"In the 1950s, per-capita real income was less than half what it is today. That means that for the typical American in the 1950s, gasoline cost twice as much, in terms of buying power, as today's gasoline. Adjusted for inflation and for buying power, the purported "record"-priced gasoline at your pumps now is substantially cheaper than the gasoline your parents bought."

We're a bunch of spoiled, pampered crybabies.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 10:02 AM   #23
davidhaner
Founding Member

Me too; 2000 sv650s, ~50 mpg.
davidhaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 10:03 AM   #24
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Yeas I am.

I would love to be able to pay the $1.15 per gallon that I was paying back in 1998.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 10:09 AM   #25
schizuki
Founding Member

"Venezuela's president, Hugo Chávez, has also stated that he would be will to set a fix price at 50 per barrel."

Chavez is unstable, to say the least. I wouldn't put too much stock in what he says.

I think oil will top out at about $100/barrel max (that's the inflation/adjusted historic high). I believe around $70-$80 makes oil shale practical, and there's a ****load of that.

In twenty or thirty years, people will be amused at how hysterical we were about oil. I once read an editorial from a NYC newspaper from the 1890's talking about civilization grinding to a halt because we were going to run out of coal.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:10 AM   #26
Neal
Founding Member

My 97 Electra glide about 40

Wife's 2001 blast 78 (she rides slow and steady and weighs 10

Son's 06 GSX 1000 ha Ha
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 10:11 AM   #27
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"We're a bunch of spoiled, pampered crybabies."

Fu&kin A, you can say that again. Complaints and crying from the same people that have $200 a month cell phone bills and pay $4.00 for a cup a friggin coffee.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:17 AM   #28
Klay
Founding Member

My SV650 gets the same as they say above, 45 mpg in spirited riding to 58 mpg cruising around at 55 mph. Once I got 38 mpg on the freeway...but that was a fluke...The temperature was in the upper 40's and the the sustained 80 mph speed was causing carburetor icing. I understand the Euro versions of the SV have heated carbs to avoid this problem. Why do we get the "dumbed-down" models all the time it seems, when the Euros get the really cool stuff?

My DR650 gets 52-55 mpg under seemingly all conditions.

My DR200 gets around 75 mpg under typical conditions.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:20 AM   #29
schizuki
Founding Member

"Really gas at 4.00 is a bargin... Adjust it for inflation buddy.. a 25% increase in the price is going to be OK schiki.?.."

Yeah. It is and it will. Just because gas prices were historically and abnormally low in the 80's and 90's doesn't mean that it's a disaster the prices are rationalizing now. See my post below.

"Go look at the link... That probably translates into a 20% hike in adjusted terms.. which will have not might have a crippling effect on the economy."

Uh, which is it? "Will have" or "not might have"?

We'll be fine. We'll deal. The only constant in life is change.

When you feel yourself getting ready to cry like a girl about gas prices (gas prices, for the love of God), just remember our parents and grandparents paying more of their income for it than we do. And remember that we have bigger houses, better health, better food, longer lives, safer and vastly-better performing cars and more awesome motorcycles than they could dream of.

Stop the *****ing and moaning, folks. We're living in a golden age. Don't be babies.

Old 05-26-2006, 10:20 AM   #30
v4bryan
Registered Member

I get about 35 to 36 on average with the Blackbird, and the wife's Ducati 900 SS CR gets aqbout 38.5. I've gotten over 44 mpg if I'm doing ALOT of highway work, but the 35.5 is a good average: the lowest I've gotten is 22 mpg during a track day on a tight 1.7 mile course-never got out of second gear.

Bryan...seems BMWs and HDs get about the best mileage most times...
v4bryan is offline   Reply With Quote