Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 05-24-2006, 04:38 AM   #21
maladg
Registered Member

Default Re: Keep Me Off Ebay!

True enough...as I recall the orig H-1 had THREE sets of points. And I thought setting timing, dwell & gap was tough with two sets on the ole Z-1!

My '74 H-1 had electronic ignition & surface gap plugs. Still would foul a set in a heartbeat. Thoughtfully, Kawasaki put a plug holder under the seat where you could, under a very sano little plastic cover, place a spare set of plugs.

The seat on my old H-1 was even worse than my first bike - '71 DT-1.

By '74, some of the big hit was gone from H-1's and the handling, while still not that great, was improved and by a lot. AND they had ft discs, unlike the underpowered drums of the '69.

Did you ever ride an H-2? My heart is still slowing down from my one and only ride on one of those.

And I saw a VERY CLEAN H-3 (??) yesterday here in metro ATL. At least I think it was an H-3...350cc street triple...or was it a 400? Anyway, it was very, very clean looking from a distance and had clean, straight OEM pipes.

My old riding pal of the day, Too Tall still has his '75 H-1 (really sweet metallic red tank) and my '71 DT-1. Both run, too.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-24-2006, 05:19 AM   #22
BikerJC
Founding Member

I had a 1987 VFR400R NC24 for my second bike, that was the most fun you could have on the twisties. It handled better than a lot of modern sport bikes and was dead stable, plus that little V-4 was a blast to wind out to 14 000rpm on the straights. Unfortunately no one knew how to fix it, so after I had some problems getting it serviced I traded it in on a new SV650. I've since learned to do all my own mechanical work. I wouldn't mind getting one as a second bike; that or a CB400 Four.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:36 AM   #23
LIMEDUST
Registered Member

Oooooooooooh the CBX. Don't get me started. Ever since I was a lad and one purred by, I have been infatuated. I keep an eye out for them but as I'm in the middle of 'the family guy' scenario, up to my elbows in diapers, dance practice, and bills, the CBX will have to wait. It will undoubtedly rise in value considerably by the time I have funds!

To be honest in the last 5 years their value has increased significantly. They're great bikes, quite reliable, but the exhaust systems are the caveat, like the older inline 4 bikes. Original 6 into 2 Honda mufflers are very expensive and hard to find, but thats the fun of owning an older bike. I think the only other major PIA with these bikes are the carbs and the swingarm bushings on the early 79 models. Bushings are easy to fix, but a carb cleaning involves removing the engine from the frame! Yikes.

Its all worth it when you have the engine purring and 6 glistening chrome downpipes in full view!

I don't know anything about two-stroke bikes, new or old, I've never really been a big fan of them, but whatever floats your boat. Keeping an old bike alive is a noble thing!
LIMEDUST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 05:38 AM   #24
seruzawa
The Toad

Stare at this and repeat this chant... CBX and RD400...CBX and RD400...CBX and RD400...CBX and RD400...CBX and RD400...CBX and RD400......
Old 05-24-2006, 05:39 AM   #25
Buzglyd
Founding Member

You got inside info or are you reading that British tabloid again?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 05:41 AM   #26
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I'm gonna put that on our website to hypnotize the debtors into paying!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 05:44 AM   #27
seruzawa
The Toad

A friend of mine had a '75 Mach III. I rode it a couple of times. It was worlds better than the old one. The engine was more tractable even though it gave up a couple of horsepower and it was still just about as fast. And it didn't throw you off the seat at unpredictable moments like the old one.

However I thought the Suzuki 550 Ram Air was much cooler.

I did ride a friend's Mach IV 750 once (with expansion chambers). It made a whole lot of horsepower in the most unpleasant manner possible. The chassis was even worse than the 500, if that is possible.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:51 AM   #28
xlr8r
Founding Member

Don't do it, Buz! Peter Egan said in Cycle World a year or so back that 'Old stuff is old stuff,' and he's usually right...
xlr8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 06:12 AM   #29
DaveFla
Founding Member

What, was Egan afraid of spending $6000 for a $2500 bike (like I've done with my eBay-sourced 1978 GoldWing)?

DaveFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 06:55 AM   #30
maladg
Registered Member

Thx for the laugh. I don't have the stones - or skills - to ride a Mach IV any more.

Those Suzuki Ram Airs were sweet.

Oh, my...I just developed a desire to go look for a Water Buffalo. Thanks!!

And while I'm at it, a super sano White with Blue Strip GS1000S - just like the one my all time fav Vet, the late Dr. Murphy Banks had.

Yes, I must have a GS 1000S. Droool...
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote