Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 05-18-2006, 03:58 AM   #71
gruss
Founding Member

Default Re: ZZR 600 or Ninja 650R Update

Get a used bike or at least a cheaper new one, sounds to me like your trying to get as much as you can possibly afford, which is silly. You may worry what people think but DON'T! The only ppl that will laugh at a ninja 500 are little mama's boys who got their bikes for their b-day and spend all their "riding time" looking for a place to hang out. If thats what you want to be then spend all that $, if you want to ride get something cheaper. A few years ago I had my doors blown off in the twisties by a kid a few years younger than me that instead of spending 10k on a bike got one for probably less than 3k, bought all the gear he needed and spent some time at a track school, sure I could catch him when the road got straight but any monkey can twist the throttle. So in our little group that consisted of a ninja 500, another guy on a '99 GSXR 600 (that I could leave in the dust) and my '97 VFR who looked the coolest and who looked the worst? I know I was feeling silly, and my gixxer riding friend even more so! It aint the bike, its the rider.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-18-2006, 05:35 AM   #72
falloutboy33
Registered Member

Default Re: Danger Will Robinson

USAA does not insure motorcycles they do it through progressive, which is way expensive.
falloutboy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 05:44 AM   #73
falloutboy33
Registered Member

katana is also the original gsxr, well.. the engine is anyways.
falloutboy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 05:51 AM   #74
jhinton
Registered Member

First I have to agree that one should never purchase any vehicle that you can't afford to insure. Too many things can happen that could put you in a financial crisis such as a stolen vehicle or a damaged vehicle that you can't afford to fix but can't sell without a huge loss.

Second, I would take it a bit farther and say that you shouldn't purchase anything that you can't pay cash for except for a house. The desire to have things we can't afford, or an item immediately is what keeps the vast majority of Americans living paycheck to paycheck and sending a large percentage of their take-home pay to banks and credit card companies. Instant gratification is expensive. Right now is when you can make some great financial decisions that would change the rest of your life. Don't get caught up with "keeping up with the Jones" and working so you can make the minimum payments on your stuff.

I know, I came right out school with an engineering degree and racked up 4 times my yearly salary in debt. A house, new car for the wife, new bikes and vintage Porsche for me, plus furniture for the house, etc. We were living the "American Dream". Then, in 2002, when the bottom dropped out of the aerospace market and people all around me started losing their jobs, I took a look our financal health. I turned out I could go 16 days without a paycheck before I would start missing payments. It also turned out that I was spending more than 50% of my take home pay to interest payments. Talk about scary for a 25 year old with a new wife in grad school. I didn't lose my job but we still decided to turn things around and get out of debt. We sold a lot of stuff and got on a budget. We both decided to never finance anything again, EVER. Our goal is to be completely debt free, including the house, by the time we're 30. We are currently an track to meet that goal.

I would recommend that you buy a inexpensive used bike to learn on while saving so that you can buy your dream bike with cash. For $1500 you can find a Ninja 500, GS500, Ninja 250, Bandit 600 or Seca II in good condition. Then you don't need to worry about full coverage, just liability, medical and uninsured motorist. If you total the bike, you're out $1500. It's an expensive, but not the end of the world. You will also have the $500 to $1000 for some good gear. When I say good gear, I mean gear that you will actually want to wear. Gear that vents well enough to wear in the summer and still keeps you warm and dry in the rain and what Florida calls winter.

You asked what we started riding so here is the list. I started riding 10 years ago when I was 18. I'm now 28 and have riden a motorcycle year around as my primary transportation for the past 5 years.

'81 Kawi 440 LTD purchased for $300. Rode for 2 years and 5K miles sold it for $1000

'85 Yamaha FJ1200, $1500 / 2 years / 5K miles / $1000

'91 Yamaha FJ1200, $3600 / 1 year / 36K miles / $0 (Totaled in a Highside)

'96 Kawi ZX7-RR, $7000 / 1 year / 2K miles / $7000 (Sold to pay off debt)

'96 Kawi Ninja 500 $2600 / 1 year / 6K miles / $2600 (Sold to pay off debt)

'92 Yamaha FJ1200 $1250 / 6 mths / 2K miles / $2000 (Parted to pay off debt)

Current

'02 BMW R1150R $10000 / current / 23K miles (1st and only new bike)

'87 Yamaha SXR250 $1600 / current / 1K miles (Wife's bike)

jhinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 06:07 AM   #75
SRMark
Founding Member

If you want to be sure that you will really ride carefully, get the ZX-14 and go for the no-insurance option.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 06:30 AM   #76
anrajala
Founding Member

"mis-spoke"?

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 06:31 AM   #77
anrajala
Founding Member

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 06:44 AM   #78
pricelister
Registered Member

As an "experienced" beginner who stepped up to an awesome 599 a month ago, here is what I have learned. If I started over today, I would buy a new or used Ninja 250...or a very used ex500 and ride it until I am an expert. This requires pushing the limits of the bike and your skills and making some mistakes in practice in a safe environment. If I don't fall down, I probably didn't try hard enough. Buy something you can scratch and not lose much resale. When you think you are ready, ride for 6 more months, then buy your "keeper" bike.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:38 AM   #79
MadScientistMatt
Founding Member

I've got to second the "Pay cash" line here. I can understand financing a vehicle if you need reliable transportation, don't have enough cash on hand, and have no other viable ways to get to work besides your own ride. But this doesn't sound like the case.

I bought my bike on my favorite easy payment plan - pay 100% in cash, and have no future worries about payment. Sure, I had to settle for a $1,100 bike, but I don't have a hole in my wallet with hundreds leaking out every month because of that.
MadScientistMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 03:24 PM   #80
MPN76VFR
Founding Member

JHINTON, while I respect your position on finance and am happy youre better off now, I'll be completely honest and tell ya I dont think even a small handful of people can completely relate to your financial dealings and take exception to your advice of never financing anything other than a house. Without flaming here and talking "my paycheck vs your paycheck", I see from your post you're a well educated aerospace engineer. Pretty cool. And I also see that your wife was in grad school in the past and assume she now has her degree in whatever it is she does and probably uses it and is paid fairly well. Again, cool. Where you lose me is how you suggest never financing stuff you cant pay for in cash. Im willing to bet your salary alone goes into 6 figures and your wife's might even too. Guess what? I'm a blue collar, all american single male college grad who's a career firefighter 48 hours a week and works a second job another 20-30 hrs to make it all happen. Guess what? I finance my home, truck AND CBR1000. And ya know what else? The bike is not a neccesity but it is worth EVERY penny I pay each month, including interest!

I'm not saying I work harder than you for far less, but based on the likely wage differences between us, at the end of the day it's probably safe to say its QUITE a bit easier for you to save $11000 for a bike and pay CASH for it than it would be for me, right? Now, Im not saying go out and get some 22%APR loan and skimp on all the gear and insurance (Ive got full coverage on all my stuff and all the safety gear for the body) just to get riding. BUT paying cash is merely a pipe dream for a very good bunch of us. Financing responsibly CAN work. If we all waited to become as financially and professionally prosperous as you have to buy a bike(and Im not being a smartass here!), almost NO ONE would ever end up riding a motorcycle!!!

I don't think of it as financing just a machine, but also as financing MEMORIES, corny as it sounds. Case in point, a long time friend and I have financed bikes for close to 6 years now (2 bikes each in that time), and in that time we've ridden long rides, made new friends, raced at the dragway for timeslips, and just had an unbelievable bunch of years. Our 3rd buddy never jumped in on it. Wanted to pay cash. Didnt want the payment over his head. Cool. Gotta respect that. But man was he missing out on some good times! Now just last year he gets a big sales commission check and pays cash for a 1 year used R6. But in the meanwhile, my first buddy got married and a new house and he doesnt have nearly as much time to ride. His bike will do even more garage dwelling once the first Junior comes along. I also dont ride nearly as much as I used to or would like but get out almost anytime possible, even commuting with the CBR on occassion. Now the R6 guy wonders why no one is around to cruise with or to show him all the fun roads we talked about in years past. Sorry, pal, while you were saving your pennies, we were working a couple extra hours a week to help finance our bikes that we had a blast on. But in reality, we were financing FUN too! I guess what I'm saying is that you CAN finance stuff responsibly if you dont have $5-10K just laying around to pay cash with. And if you DO come into some extra money or want to get ahead, you could always pay more than the minimum due payment each month or pay off your loan early! I can sell my bike tommorow if need be (which is what I'll likely do once MY first Junior comes along!) but no one can ever take away the fun we've had along the way while the other guy was saving his pennies and missing out badly!!! (and no, he's not ANY more financially better off than us two as a result of waiting for cash. In fact my credit rating is fortunately WAAAAY up there due to GOOD, responsible past financing which includes those 2 bikes!)

Sorry to all if this post seems like a rant, but I just felt a little justification for financing seemed to be in order. Cash or loan, just be smart, and enjoy yourselves!!