Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 05-17-2006, 03:46 PM   #61
MPN76VFR
Founding Member

Default Re: ZZR 600 or Ninja 650R Update

Amazing how people will do without the right coverage and gear and pinch pennies here and there but HAVE to get NEEEWWWW bike no matter what. Its called "throwing GOOD money after BAD!!"

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-17-2006, 03:53 PM   #62
MPN76VFR
Founding Member

I wouldnt ride their golf carts either!
Old 05-17-2006, 03:58 PM   #63
jonlich
Founding Member

As mentioned by everyone else, Ninja 250, GS 500, Ninja 500 are your best choices especially used. If you really HAVE to get the Ninja 650R, here's a tip: Your dealer is just plain lazy and knows that another guy will walk in and buy something else from him. Every Dealer in the country has access to the inventory of other dealers on new bikes. In '99 when I bought my SV650 (it was the hot item at the time) I was told by my local dealer that there was no way I could get one because they are all sold out etc. 5 minutes on the phone told me my local dealer was too lazy to spend 5 minutes on the computer. I called a couple of other dealers in my state and found one in the middle of nowhere who got on their system while on the phone with me and asked what color I was looking for and whether I was serious about making a purchase. Answer: Blue and Yes. You see, nearly every dealer has access to the inventory of other dealers for the same brand if they are willing to take five minutes and look it up on the computer. He found one that happened to be at a dealer that was on the other side of the state and I was between that dealer and the dealer I was talking to. We settled on an out-door-price and I asked him if he would deliver the bike to my house if I met the guy with a cashier's check. I bought my new bike from a salesman I've never met but who wanted my business. Don't let a dealer tell you that they don't have one available, they are just trying to switch you onto something they have sitting on their floor. If your dealer really wanted your business more than he wanted to move inventory off his floor, he would take the five minutes it takes to find your bike. I say find another dealer! Just my two cents.
jonlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 04:19 PM   #64
PeterH
Founding Member

Default Re: Danger Will Robinson

Two insurance issues: If you have UIM for your car and insure with the same carrier they will require it for your motorcycle too and its expensive. With USAA , a good insurance company, the UIM premium was double that for my cars. Whether you need UIM depends on your own healthcare coverage. If you don't have good coverage, get the UIM. USAA would not cover, either under comp or homeowners for a bike that fell off a trailer I was towing behind my car. They are good however for paying for any damage to a bike which is itself insured. (I also recommend the NINJA 250, and with a top end between 90 and 100 it will handle traffic including freeways. Don't expect to get a new one much under retail. I think the dealers cost is only $200 back of MSRP. Most other bikes they have 800 to 1700 in hand. Setup and shipping are negotiable.

Keep the helmet side up.
PeterH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 04:52 PM   #65
Vlad
Registered Member

OK, I'm going to disagree with almost everyone. Get the SV650, not the 650S. The S is too leaned over unless you want to fit some of the riser bars that are available. Be very cautious about using too much power until you get some miles under your belt. Don't even think about riding without insurance and full medical coverage. Do cross bid the insurance and find out what you can afford. Maybe the SV will be too expensive, maybe not. Get liability and uninsured motorist. The kawa is a good bike, but may not be your cup of tea. Sit on these babies in the shop until you have the feel of them. Don't buy the bullcrap about there not being any available. Keep looking. Above all, be a paranoid. They are out to get you (the cars I mean).

You are right. This is going to be awesome and the beginning of a lifetime addiction.

Francis
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 05:21 PM   #66
chrisbean109
Founding Member

i see there have been alot of post regarding carrying or not carrying insurance so i feel i must say something . In the state of florida motorcycle insurance is not required if your finance amount is below 10,000 dollars . And when i say insurance i mean you can ride with none...0...no liability no comp no collision . It doesnt matter if its bank financed or put on the kawa good times card . it is a state mandate . But to be clear that is a bad bad idea in the state of florida . As i said on my last post south florida is the bike theft capital of the world......if you leave it unlocked it will disappear...and again it is a fairly dangerous place to ride....traffic etc...The health insurance area is only required if you are under 21 or choose to ride with no helmet where in you must have proof of at least 10,000 dollars of health insurance . though i must say taking advantage of that and wearing no helmet is about the worst thing you can do . And be prepared because the police will ask for proof if you are ever stopped . Lastly at a minimum you should carry liability on the motorcycle financed or not just in case you are involved in a accident that was your fault because you will be sued...anyway hope this helped . good luck again
chrisbean109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 07:24 PM   #67
sarnali
Founding Member

Buy the 650 R, twins rock, show some class.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 07:50 PM   #68
Klay
Founding Member

Wow, are you getting a lot of replies to your post. It sounds like you really aren't interested in a little dual sport to learn to ride on...I bet you would change your mind if you had a chance to play with one. I ride my 200 every day...usually on pavement... and it's a complete blast to ride because I'm wringing it out right at the limit and beyond sometimes. I'm going around corners right on the edge of the tires and revving the engine until the valves float as I leave cars behind. Makes me daydream about being like Valentino Rossi.

Back to reality. Please listen to all the advice about training, good riding gear, and full coverage insurance. It's actually far more important than your choice of bike.

That being said, I have my preferences...I've owned dozens of bike in my life...BMW touring bikes, sport bikes, dual sports, and so on. My all-time favorite bike remains my 2000 Suzuki SV650, naked, without the fairing. Don't buy all that talk you hear about it being a "beginner" bike. It'll be way, way, over your head as a new rider. Once you become an experienced rider, you'll have to go to a track day to find the limit of the bike. The suspension is more than adequate for the street. Then if you want to go racing, upgrade it. I love that bike. I've got 37,000 miles on it now. Doubt if I'll ever sell it. Costs very little to maintain. Very user-friendly and is very easy wrestle through corners because of its wide handlebar. All the while it's make gorgeous growling noises and propelling you along with a nice meaty midrange torquey grunt.

And at the same time, I've done 1,000 mile days on it...it's really comfortable.

One time I crossed eastern Colorado at freeway speeds...about 80 to 85 mph...and got 47 miles to the gallon.

Amazing that I've never had the slightest problem with it. I've never even had to change a shim out when inspecting the valves...they have stayed in spec throughout the life of the bike. This in spite of the fact that I am not easy on the bike...I've banged it off the rev limiter a lot just for the heck of it. Amazing durability.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:59 PM   #69
HDshane
Registered Member

MSF class was great! I am 29 and I took the class 6 months ago. That class was the very first time I had ever even sat on a Motorcycle. It was scary, like hard to think straight scary at first, but after 20 minutes and my first ride with my feet off the groud, it was just fun. It was a tough two days, and we lost 3 students to stupid mistakes, but on the end 7 of us got signed off! Here I am 6 months later and I want to purchase a bike. Anyone in the SF Bay Area want to sell a newbie a Ninja 250 or similar? I am tired of walking out into the parking lot and seeing all those bikes ... arghh ... I want to ride so bad.
HDshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 09:15 PM   #70
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

Here's an unsolicited two cents from an old fart who's been riding 35 plus years. THE VERY FIRST TIME I rode a bike, I went through a barbed wire fence, because motorcycles handle reallyc crappy at low speeds. I couldn't figure out what to do, so I froze. and got my hand up just in time to avoid stopping myself with my throat. I went over backwards in the dirt, did a low side (twice) when there was something on the road, and once did a full face plant onto some rocks when the sun was at a low angle, and I was having a hard time judging the surface. Spring is always the most dangerous here in California, because stuff is always rolling down the hills and landing on the roads.

It's an old axiom in Motorcycling that the greatest number of fatalaties occur when a rider has betwee one month and one year of experience. That's the time period betweenwhen a person in scared ****less most of the time, hence extremely careful, and when they realize that they still don't know everything and fail to pay sufficient attention to the road surface changing, the car with it's wheels cranked over to make a U turn, or recognize that an otherwise dry road may still be wet in shady areas. When the sun is low, you can suddenly unable to see much of anything, even with sunglasses on, and you will need to use your left hand to act as a sunshade. Dirt bikers wear those things with the built in visor, but they look just too dorky for me. You can buy little dark strips that go over the top portion of your shield that are held on basically by static grip, so you can just jam it in your pocket if you need it. I find it useful, others may not. There are a thousand other things to learn. Don't get ahead of yourself, just enjoy the ride for what it is. Even the slowest pace will make you aware of stuff you would never notice in a car. Just rounding a corner can change the temperature significantly. You can tell if someone has just mowed their lawn, or if there are cows around. Those are the things that make the risk worthwhile, no matter what kind of riding you do.

When you have a year under your belt, you will have a much better idea of what kind of rider you are. I like to jump on my VFR and disappear for a few days, with no particular destination in mind. Just ride till I'm tired of it, grab a motel room, and take a hot shower and eat a civilized meal before turning in. Other riders don't get within a hundred miles of home, ever. They want to get their fix in a hurry, get home, and move on to something else. There's nothing wrong with either idea; you just need to find out which kind you are. You may not be like your friends at all in this. I think that's one reason why some many people are saying you should buy used-- so you can get your feet wet without investing a ton of money in motorcycle and insurance, then, when you know what you REALLY want, go out and get it. Happy riding and welcome to the fraternity.
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote