Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   ZZR 600 or Ninja 650R Update (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/3590-zzr-600-ninja-650r-update.html)

ksquid 05-17-2006 12:33 PM

Re: ZZR 600 or Ninja 650R Update

LOL good one.

ksquid 05-17-2006 12:35 PM

Re: Do you really want to ride...

OK the real question is how many dates have you had since getting the SV??...I don't think you would get any dates with a Ex500 or Buell Blast...:)

Tigercub 05-17-2006 12:47 PM

Good points here and above. A new rider couldn't tell a Ninja 250 from an R1 so you don't need to impress that group. An experienced rider will take one look at your tires and know how experienced you are.

Get the Ninja 500, which would fit your weight and height better and learn to ride the wheels off it.

Chukchi 05-17-2006 01:16 PM

Most chicks that are going to go out with you just because you have a motorcycle wouldn't know the difference between a Buell Blast and a Road King, let alone an EX500 and the 650R. That said, I would rather take her on the Blast...the extra vibration might be considered foreplay.

schizuki 05-17-2006 01:30 PM

"Ah a young protege"

Except for the part where he has apparently decided NOT to get the same bike as you, but a Twin.

The weather's always perfect on Kpaul Island...

jumarcil 05-17-2006 02:01 PM

Here in Quebec Canada my ZZR 600 2006 cost me 300$ insurance 39 years old; But the zzr 600 2006 is actually a zx6r 2002 wich ain't a great bike to begin with... My opinion. I had an sv650 wich is great for beginner and more advanced rider. Never tried the 650r but i can tell you it's more adapted to new riders.

thaks for reading my post

Jules

MOwings 05-17-2006 02:21 PM

I would find a 650 ninja and never look back. I now own a 05 250 ninja though (and a tdm 850) and it is a great all around bike, not just for in town. I rode mine from washington state to Laguna Seca last year with no problems aside from a broken clutch cable. If your going used you can't go wrong with an ex500 or 500 ninja. Get whatever feels best and turns you on.

MPN76VFR 05-17-2006 03:19 PM

Good to see youre starting to at least CONSIDER a used bike purchase and being a bit more prudent with your approach. That being said, your insurance situation seems to need some consideration too! If you cant foot the bill for appropriate bike insurance (to me, this means FULL coverage on ANY bike youre paying for on a monthly basis regardless of what KAWI lets you sell your soul for!) and dont already have a regular health insurance plan (im not sure what the "emergency coverage" thing is you speak of), you REALLY need to re-consider even buying a bike just yet. REALLY!

Because they are so easily stolen and even cometic tip overs rack up SERIOUS $$$, bikes need the full monty for insurance especially when new. Also, as a firefighter/EMT who has seen some bad, BAD stuff as far as car/bike crashes, there is an element we often dont consider when thinking about being in an accident and that is the FINANCIAL CONSEQUENCE of a wreck!! Im not sure about other parts of the country, but up here in New England, ambulance rides are costing at least a grand a pop, and god forbid you need a helicopter ride (which is sadly VERY common for bike smashes), your talking MANY THOUSANDS of $$$ depending on your condition and needs, plus a long expensive stay at a hospital. Ever taken a $10 tylenol before?

Without insurance, youll have a debt following you around for YEARS til you pay it off and it can DESTROY your credit. It also puts a heavy burden on your family and can be very stressful. I know people who have had it happen to them, particularly during that period right after college graduation but before they got a full time job when mom and dad's policy didnt cover them anymore.

Anyway, Im not trying to discourage your purchase. It just seems like youre looking to pinch pennies here and there on stuff that is so important and choosing the right bike may be the least of your concern right now. First pass your MSF test, THEN save some dough for ALL the right RIDING GEAR and INSURANCES you should have. Only after getting it all done right, buy the bike to suit ya best! Don't be impulsive and screw yourself badly down the road just cuz ya "gotta have it right now". Dot all your I's and cross all your T's, and youll never lose sleep later down the road.

MPN76VFR 05-17-2006 03:34 PM

Good points, man. It's funny, cuz I chuckle with each point you make as Ive been there or seen it before and its so true.

MPN76VFR 05-17-2006 03:37 PM

I'll second that. Never had to deal with them personally but heard some pretty steep figures from friends and acquaintances. Best friend tried to insure his ZX12: Progressive was literally double the rate of the company he ended up using.