Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   ZZR 600 or Ninja 650R Update (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/3590-zzr-600-ninja-650r-update.html)

BMW4VWW 05-17-2006 09:46 AM

Re: ZZR 600 or Ninja 650R Update

Harley and golf! What an interesting blend of genres. The mental image of John Daily in assless golf pants is sort of unsettling though.

Buzglyd 05-17-2006 09:54 AM

A friend of mine had on at his house on the Colorado river. He had a trailer hitch put on the back and we would pull his jet boat down to the gas station with it.

The look on people's faces was priceless!

davidhaner 05-17-2006 10:13 AM

She knew what she was supposed to do but had trouble controlling the bike. Like any other physical skill there is muscle memory, and some people are naturally more dextrous than others. Maybe my adverb was a poor choice but I'm pretty sure everyone knew what I meant. If you want to wax philosophical we can start having a cartesian dualism argument about whether or not your skills are stored in your physical brain; personally I think everything is physical but there's plenty of room to debate.

davidhaner 05-17-2006 10:14 AM

It might even have been my verb that was a poor choice. Ack.

MadScientistMatt 05-17-2006 10:28 AM

If you're trying to judge how cool others will percieve your bike, you can divide people into two basic groups: Those who ride, and those who don't.

How many non-riders can accurately judge the coolness of a bike, anyway? When I started thinking about getting a bike, I couldn't tell a Ninja 250 from an R1. Even if they read the numbers on the side, most non-riders will not know how big a bike you have to get to be fast anyway.

And as for riders? A few may look down on you for not being macho enough to start on a bike with enough horsepower for a small car. Some may make good-natured jokes. Most of them will just know you picked a bike that was either what fits your budget, your experience level, or your needs. A "beginner bike" may suggest you're a beginner, but why be ashamed of that?

BMW4VWW 05-17-2006 10:45 AM

Sounded like an adverb to me.

SeanAlexander 05-17-2006 11:41 AM

That's "Boing!"

davidhaner 05-17-2006 11:52 AM

Yes, I mis-spoke the 2nd time. In any case, he'll pass the class.

phlosar 05-17-2006 12:06 PM

Re: Do you really want to ride...

Congrats on getting a bike. You may want to read the SV650 v. 650R article on this website. I think Motorcyclist or Cycle World covered the same topic recently. It just gives you more info. I recently bought a SV650S after considering the 650R. For me it was a proven performance and repair record. It's reliable and has changed little in three years, which is good if you think about the various problems that bikes sometimes have in their first production year.

Be safe out there. Hough's books are good though detailed. I really liked his summary book called something like Street Survival. It goes through many accident scenarios in an easy to read format. It's like have accident flash cards. Also consider Total Control and Street Riding Techniques. All on Amazon and other places. Check out online boards like svrider.com and the equivalent for the 650R. Great sources of information.

Enjoy that bike. Mine just had the 600 mile tune up and I cannot wait for the weekend to go for a long ride.

ksquid 05-17-2006 12:31 PM

I think the Can-O-Tuna would be harder to handle that my ZX-6R (ZZR 600) and it is ugly up front.. Also the kid is right the bike is heavy and it has a weak motor ... especially down low..