Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 05-17-2006, 07:14 AM   #21
v4bryan
Registered Member

Default Re: ZZR 600 or Ninja 650R Update

It sounds to me that the most important factor is is the amount of money you'll be laying out, or you wouldn't be so concerned about Kawasaki not requireing you to carry coverage. At the risk of beating a dead horse, you really should start with a used bike, insure it, learn to ride it properly, *then* consider something else. The GS500, Ninja 500, and early to mid 90's nighthawks are all great first bikes with decent performance and maintenance records that can be had for around (or less) than $2K, and sold in a year or two for about what you paid for them.

I would also shy away from purchasing on one of the Manufacturer's revolving credit cards for the obvious reasons. Do you already have a job? Check to see if your company has a Credit Union that might set you up with an inexpensive signature loan (usually up to $5K or so) that can be auto-deducted from your paycheck. The rate is usually higher than a straight motorcycle loan from a bank, but easier to get, and will let you purchase decent gear at the same time you're starting to build a good credit rating without worrying about forgetting a payment (auto withdrawal rocks).

Good luck whatever you finally decide, Blade

Bryan...learn to ride on a cheap bike now, and you'll know what to do with a more expensive one later...
v4bryan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-17-2006, 07:32 AM   #22
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

You stole my thunder!
Old 05-17-2006, 07:54 AM   #23
anrajala
Founding Member

How does someone fail to "physically learn the skills"?

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 07:59 AM   #24
honch
Registered Member

The best advice to take away from all this:

a.) Take the MSF course first: the more you know going in to any new endeavor , the better off you are.

b.) Don't skimp on insurance: that's a mistake you really can't afford to make!

c.) Invest in good gear, buy a decent, used bike, and don't get too extravagant in your choice: it's very freeing to know that in a "me-or-the-bike" moment, that you'll be able to make the right choice. Besides, this certainly won't be the only bike you'll ever own. Your ride should evolve with your skills and knowledge, and you may just be surprised to see how your tastes can change after you've had some time in the saddle.
honch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 08:20 AM   #25
anrajala
Founding Member

I fully agree on this used bike thing. I would get a small standard japanese inline-4 from late eighties to early nineties. Preferably with scratches that show in the price but mechanically in top form. Like 1993 GS500E for $1,500.

You save in the purchase, you save in insurance, you save in the scratches you cause, you save in depreciation.

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 08:23 AM   #26
Brent_Meeker
Founding Member

My son, who has ridden dirt bikes since he was ten, bought his first street bike last summer. He got a used Kaw EX500 for $1500. It's worked great for him. No insurance required beyond liability. He's now bought an RS125 GP bike and races at Willow.

That's the way to go. Used streetbike for under $2000. Buy full two-piece leathers, gloves, good helmet. Save that other $4000 to buy something more exciting when you know better what you want - you might want to race at Willow too.

As for fairings, I think they're almost a necessity if you're going to travel on freeways and highways. The normal traffic speed around here is 75-80mph. On a naked bike it just gets tiring to hold on.
Brent_Meeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 08:25 AM   #27
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I will go with JohnnyB's assessment and would advise not to get started with motorcycles in the first place. Take up golf. You can play it your whole life, and never get hurt. Motorcycling is a bad addiction, from which you will never recover. By the way the Kawi is a pretty nice bike. Have fun.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:29 AM   #28
ksquid
Banned

Ah a young protege...I like that... Hope he gets the SV650S..chick magnet...

ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 08:33 AM   #29
ksquid
Banned

Default Re: Read, and read some more

I have Twist 1 in book and CD form I found this book better by far..Total Control: High-Performance Street Riding Techniques by Lee Parks
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 08:37 AM   #30
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Yes but only one can have Boeing on his underwear!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote