Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 05-17-2006, 06:59 AM   #11
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: ZZR 600 or Ninja 650R Update

He didn't say if he looks like a young Micheal Douglas on steroids or not.....
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-17-2006, 07:00 AM   #12
davidhaner
Founding Member

There were 10 people in my class. One 5' tall very unconfident 18 year old girl dropped out on the first day after being afraid to make the bike move under its own power; they basically kicked her out after continually advising her she must move the bike. Her boyfriend also dropped out because he was pu$$y whipped and couldn't let her leave alone. 7 of the remaining 8 passed, the one woman who failed failed purely because she couldn't physically learn the skills fast enough. You'll pass.
davidhaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 07:02 AM   #13
nweaver
Founding Member

Default Danger Will Robinson

Uhh, the insurance issue is raising a REAL red flag...

a: Get the Ninja 250. If you are questioning insurance, you can't afford to ride. You shouldn't spend more than $3500, perhaps $3600 Out the Door on a brand new, 2006 Ninja 250.

From the sound of things, money is a real concern, so go cheap. You can sell it in +1 year for $2500 without much effort, or just keep it as a track bike.

b: GET HEALTH INSURANCE. High limit/high deductible is fine, but you MUST have health insurance before you consider riding a motorcycle.

c: CARRY UNINSURED MOTORIST COVERAGE. At least $100k UI medical. Most SERIOUS motorcycle+car accidents are the fault of the car, these are where you have a lot of injuries, and even if the car driver HAS insurance, it may definatly not be enough.

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 07:12 AM   #14
nweaver
Founding Member

Default Also, take the MSF course FIRST...

Before you buy the bike, the gear, the *****, take the MSF course first.

Its not that hard (when I took it, the group of 12 was 100% pass. My GF's class was 11/12 pass, and the one that pass really shouldn't have been on a bike).

But you need to understand if you really want to ride a bike, and the MSF course is great for that.

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 07:15 AM   #15
Chukchi
Registered Member

In response to the "Whereas new, Kawi doesn't make you carry anything." comment, I have to say...Don't be Stupid!!! The reason you don't have to carry any insurance is that they are offering you revolving credit rather than a loan. This is basically like giving you a credit card that you can charge the bike to, but the bike is not collateral. The problem: What if you total the bike, or it gets stolen? Now you still owe several thousand dollars on a credit card and can't make an insurance claim. This is the exact reason that banks and credit unions require full coverage insurance. Insurance is expensive, but if you can't afford to pay cash for a new bike, you definitely can't afford to go without full coverage insurance.
Chukchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 07:21 AM   #16
tomk2
Founding Member

"...I know I should really get a used bike, but if I end up having to finance even a little bit of it, I'll have to carry everything as far as insurace goes. Whereas new, Kawi doesn't make you carry anything..."

If you buy the Kawi 650 and then drop it at 5 mph and can't afford to fix it you can sell it to me for dirt cheap!

You'll be screwed but as an uninsured new rider on a faired bike that's inevitable... at least I can get a smokin deal on a nice bike!
tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 07:44 AM   #17
cls
Registered Member

You sound like a bright enough fellow, and you're certainly going the extra mile to make a good decision. Problem is: A "good decision" is relative.

Get what you want, for the reason(s) you want it, and be careful. You seem pretty squared away. Enjoy!
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 07:47 AM   #18
Chukchi
Registered Member

In addition to the not-so-mature insurance talk many other aspects of your dilemma scream "I am 20 years old and want to look cool!". I have just had this same conversation with my 21 year old brother. He doesn't want a used GS500 or Ninja500 because they just don't look as cool as the SV650S or ZZR600. He gave me the same pitch about Kawasaki not requiring full coverage insurance and I said the same thing to him...Don't be Stupid!.

If you don't think you will look cool riding around on a used ninja 500, I guarantee you will look like an ass with a brand new uninsured 650R that has just enough damage that you can't afford to fix it sitting in your garage while you are still making payments on it.

Consider insurance rates first and then get what you can afford. You haven't ever even ridden a bike, so how do you know what you want?!!!
Chukchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 07:58 AM   #19
jasonlion54
Founding Member

Default Re: Read, and read some more

I have Twist 2. Is there more info in 1? I assumed that 2 was just an updated version of 1, but maybe I'm wrong.
jasonlion54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 08:09 AM   #20
acecycleins
Founding Member

I mentioned days ago to call PSIC 1-800-303-5000. The bikes to consider: Used SV, Keep on the Ninja 650r (even if they're out of stock- wait), Ducati 620 monster, and, yes, the Katana. What ever you hear about the Katana remember this. They don't make a bike for 20 years if it sucks. Yes, it's heavy. What bike wasn't back then? Fact is the motor is dead reliable. Air/Oil cooled bikes are fine motors. Remember this- the Katana is the original GSX.