Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 05-14-2006, 05:38 AM   #71
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Farewell to Those Motorcycle Days.

There's nothing wrong with deciding to give up riding, it's a personal decision. What I in particular object to is the need to justify your decision by splattering it all over the newspaper and internet. All that is is self agrandizment and self justification..."motorcycles are too dangerous...people die everyday on motorcycles"...well guess what, they die in cars and airplanes, boats, golf carts or carrying the garbage can out to the curb. Life is a terminal proposition here, nobody gets out alive.

I do believe it can happen to me, but I do what I can to mitigate the chances and consequences by dressing properly and riding within my comfort zone, I maintain my situational awareness and I stay out of blind spots. I would rather not die on a bike and if I did it wouldn't be "at least something I love" I'd be just dead. If I had my druthers I'd rather check out as a 100 year old f*ckin' a sheep or something ....

This guy is a crybaby looking to justifiy his decision by moaning about it in print. f*ck him. If he doesn't want to ride fine, sell the bike and be done with it. Don't try to justifiy it to me because I don't want to know.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-14-2006, 05:38 AM   #72
pdad13
Founding Member

Bravo!

(No, I'm not hoping for his death, just applauding the insight.)
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 05:40 AM   #73
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Man, I know this isn't going to help, but just think of all the bikes you could be making monthly payments on instead.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 05:41 AM   #74
sarnali
Founding Member

I just drop her off at the Greyhound station. I don't know where she goes after that.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 05:57 AM   #75
pdad13
Founding Member

You know, despite all of our differences, I can honestly say that, at least, I admire everyone here (including KP and bigdx) for not thinking like this dude.

If someone wants to stop riding, fine. It's a personal decision. But please spare us the condecending platitudes about how the rest of us aren't wise enough to realize that we're going to die.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 06:43 AM   #76
yellowduc_1
Founding Member

"The odds seem to favor the house" What a dumb@ss!!!!! Of course they do! No one gets out alive, so you might as well live your life to the fullest. Enjoy the things that make you happy, that excite you, that give you memories, that make life worth living. The only thing you should fear about death is that you didn't get all the things done that you wanted to do, and, as a caveat to that, your list should be at least two lifetimes long. GO. LIVE. ENJOY!
yellowduc_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 07:01 AM   #77
U4eeeahhh
Founding Member

I found the original Ullrich letter a few days ado when doing my regular "motorcycle" search in several news search engine. Searching motorcycle news is part of my job. I work in the motorcycle industry. August 29th, 2006 will be the 40th anniversary of the day I first threw a leg over a motorcycle. My first motorcycle related job was a few years later. With the exception of a couple of brief periods I have almost continually owned a street bike since 1968. In the last four decades, I have commuted, raced, toured and simply played with all sorts of motorcycles. But the weekly reports of dozens of street riders killed in traffic accidents, the awful majority of which appear to be not the motorcycle operators overall fault, can get pretty depressing.

Recently one accident and death stopped me from riding. Larry Grodsky [Mr safety] probably had as good a set of street riding and accident avoidance skills as you could develop. He was riding across Texas, a deer ran out in front of him and he's DOA. I've had several close calls with deer, dogs and once a big pony. But that's only part of it. 6 years ago I made the news in a "Motorcyclist Hits Truck" story - You've heard the story before. Riding my Honda Blackbird home at legal speeds at 7PM when a small car turned in front of me, left with insufficient distance to stop I slide into the car, the impact shattered my spleen, broke a few bones and I meet a lots of nice medical professionals. One nearly new Honda and $65,000 med. bills later the first thing I do with the insurance settlement is buy a new bike. And I've been through 3 more street bikes since then. But now I thin I'm done.

Life in traffic has always been scary but it is getting worst. This from someone who commuted 60 miles each way by bike in San Francisco in the 80s. Ever week there's another close call I never tell anyone about.

And too I frankly I have gotten tired of the boots, helmet. heavy jacket, long pants ect. All the damn inconvenience of riding a motorcycle. So I sold my 2 bikes and took the money and bought a convertible sports car. Fun to drive, wearing shorts and flip-flops - wind in my face and a/c blowing.

No the thrill is gone. After 39 years I have retired from motorcycling to a 300HP air condition sports car.
U4eeeahhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 07:31 AM   #78
bigdx
Founding Member

"Now the thrill is gone. After 39 years I have retired from motorcycling to a 300HP air condition sports car"

So with the thrill being gone you end up buying a 300hp sports car? Great. Now when you f*ck up in your 300hp sports car (because you obviously still want some thrill) you can be relatively safe from harm, but present a much bigger danger to other road users Â…

Same as the a-hole who wrote the article at hand that deems bikes to be too dangerous to ride himself, but has no moral issues with selling said dangerous bike to a school kid.

bigdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 07:44 AM   #79
Fenton
Founding Member

you are every bit as much a lawbreaker as those 'Harley guys' that were drunk,

Being they both broke "A" law. There is a degree of crime involved and I'll take speeders over drinkers any day.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 09:02 AM   #80
bigdx
Founding Member

So both you guys are into she-males too? So cool.
bigdx is offline   Reply With Quote