Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   Farewell to Those Motorcycle Days. (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/3582-farewell-those-motorcycle-days.html)

Weezel 05-13-2006 09:24 PM

Re: Farewell to Those Motorcycle Days.

I found this to be one of the most uplifting stories I have read this past year. I was a little down in the dumps cause I had to get rid of one of my bikes (Vulcan 1600) recently due to a dirtbike accident that left my back sore riding in a cruiser position (sacral fractures). I'm down to only one bike for the first time in a long time (little F650GS) and waiting until fall (it's hot in AZ summer) to buy a standard sport. I was really starting to feel old (I am old!), but this guy really perked me up. Thank god for all the twits in the world who bring us back to reality. Righteous stupidity can be a wonderful thing.

martinhd28 05-13-2006 10:00 PM

I'm gonna get that line[do not go gentle into that good night] tattoed on my mortal 62 yr old body. It speaks to the want to live life to the fullest no matter what one does for fun or a living. Riding my bikes[ pedal&motor] on the street and in the dirt and making music on my guitar are energising things and I won't give any of them up to try and live past my time. When its up, hopefully I'll not see it coming, but at least I know it was good to get that far

Haru 05-14-2006 02:01 AM

I had a friend get killed in a bike accident. People say "atleast it was doing something she liked doing."

but I cannot make myself believe that if she knew that she was going to die, she would have carried on anyway.

I also saw a 35 year old mother of two little girls get killed by a drunk driver right in front of my eyes. I can't make myself believe that if she had had the choice post fact, she would choose to carry on riding instead of being part of her two daughters lives as they grew up. I don't believe anybody can love riding that much.

I don't know about you, but I drive fast, ride a motorcycle, etc in the belief that it won't happen to me. If I really believed that it can happen to me, I'd stop today.

You may be a gungho type who proudly says he'd rather die on a bike than stop riding. Me, I'd rather not, thank you, and I continue to ride because I expect to live, and because I give myself good chances.

Forgive me, but I don't believe all this macho BS about living life hard because its too boring to live safely. I think everybody who says this is expecting to be alive tommorow and in 5 years from now. They are not expecting to be killed on the ride home today.

If somebody feels that they no longer have faith in the odds of staying alive and well on a bike and decides to hang it up, I respect that. I don't give them macho BS.

Another pal of mine is the best rider and driver I have ever known. He used to race until a crash broke his neck and almost turned him into a quadraplegic. he's got two lovely boys, and he quit racing and putting himself at risk because of what was on the line. He treated himself to a new Agusta, he still rides but he's very aware of what he's doing and whats at stake.

I respect people who are mature enough to do that instead of those who mouth off egotistically about people who make different choices.

stoney8888 05-14-2006 02:13 AM

can you imagine owning a bike in the flat corn land of Iowa. I think the highest elevation there is the DeMoines dump. That would be depressing enough. Plus whats the fun of a bike there.

does littledx live in Iowa,thats where I normaly find his wife.

longride 05-14-2006 02:28 AM

It's wonderful to hear how you rag on someone elses illegal activity while rationalizing that YOUR illegal activity is really OK. I'm glad you are a speeder that puts nobody else at risk. Kind of like a drunk driver that does the same. Just to clarify, you are every bit as much a lawbreaker as those 'Harley guys' that were drunk, and probably put more people at risk than they did.

riyadhblues 05-14-2006 02:53 AM

He's not me and I'm not him

He voted for

Kerry I voted for more Bush etc.

seruzawa 05-14-2006 03:12 AM

Kumbaya.

bigdx 05-14-2006 03:18 AM

Both exceeding speed limits and DUI are illegal and activities that lead to fatalities on the road. Driving fast but being sober is equally stupid to being drunk and riding slowly. A responsible adult will recognize this and engage in neither activity.

Obviously you are neither a responsible nor an adult as you not only engage in such activities; you actually try and justify it.

"I try to stay within reasonable range of speed,"

How is this stupidity any different from "I always make sure I am reasonably sober when I ride?".

"and I never put anyone else at risk."

You put folkÂ’s lives at risk each time you get on your bike. You simply lack the maturity of thought to recognize it.

caffine 05-14-2006 03:54 AM

There is Way too much alchohol being served here!

BrowningBAR 05-14-2006 04:35 AM

I don't know. The experimental drug testing can be a bit creepy. Anyone read the articles on the BBC about the one test group that went really poorly? The reaction to the drugs reportedly made them look like Joseph Merrick.