Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 05-14-2006, 07:16 PM   #101
nesbit
Founding Member

Default Re: Farewell to Those Motorcycle Days.

This dude simply wasn't passionate about riding. So he stopped! Not that uncommon with activities dangerous or not. What is disturbingly pathetic though, is that he doesn't appear to have much passion for living in general. Rest in Peace, bro!
nesbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-14-2006, 08:14 PM   #102
DonM
Founding Member

And as he's dying in his warm bed years later he tells his story about giving up the great joy in his life to the doctor.

The doctor replies,"Why didn't you just take some vitamin E for your heart and keep riding?"
DonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 03:52 AM   #103
ddlewis
Registered Member

<blockquote>"No the thrill is gone. After 39 years I have retired from motorcycling to a 300HP air condition sports car."</blockquote>

so if the thrill is gone, why are you still trolling motorcycle sites? and subscription ones at that..
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 05:13 AM   #104
BillyO
Registered Member

Well said.
BillyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 05:45 AM   #105
bbtowns
Founding Member

Due to my overwhelming love of life I've decided to cement myself into a room, and live, live live!
Old 05-15-2006, 05:56 AM   #106
jimmyr
Registered Member

Wow, heavy musings to read on Monday morning. My take on this: In 1998, my little brother was killed on his BMW R1100 R-T. My Dad, who was dying of cancer at the time, rode up to the scene with me on his Harley. He continued to ride for a couple of more months before getting too sick. He eventually died that October.

We have always been a riding family. I still ride as much as I can. Got a trip planned to take a couple of buddies up to Deal's Gap next weekend. Yes, I dread dying on my motorcycle. It's just that I dread living without riding a tad more!

jimmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 06:43 AM   #107
sean11
Founding Member

hey, agree with the comments, not the language. Especially coming from someone with jesus is coming as part of their email. maybe if you clean up your language a little, you might clean up the images of us bikers some in the process. A couple of years ago, there was'nt such an effort to type profanity on this board. I know, i thought cussing was cool when i was 12, but then I grew up. If you want people to take you comments seriously, make them sound like a reasoned argument instead of an adolescent rant. by the way, i agree with the substance of what you said completely. if others want to live in a box, or barricade themselves in their apartments, good for them. Makes hotels cheaper at all the resorts.
sean11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 06:55 AM   #108
sean11
Founding Member

well said. I completely agree.
sean11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 07:16 AM   #109
tomk2
Founding Member

"A few years back, just before dark on a summer's eve, a young man near here laid his motorcycle down to avoid a deer that had stepped onto the road..."

"lay 'er down" lol At last the identity of The Highwayman is revealed!!!

tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 07:31 AM   #110
Zeniac
Founding Member

I too am a long term motorcycle rider, and as an ER nurse, I too have questioned whether or not it is worth it to still ride. Although Canadian, I have lived in South Texas for over 12 years and the weather sucks in the summer. In 2002 my wife announced after a summer trip where she threatened to have me drop her off at a bus depot so she could take an "air-conditioned" bus back home that she was done riding and I could do what ever I want on a bike but she won't be joining me (That previous Feb. we got stuck in a cold front with freezing temps and rain as well, that's Texas!).

I had had a number of sports cars in my youth so I decided, like you that it was a viable option to a motorcycle and bought a Honda S-2000 (reviews stated it was like a motorcycle on 4 wheels). I had, and continue to enjoy the car and my wife rides with me; however, as you may find out, it is no substitute for a motorcycle.

Within a year I was riding again, this time I chose a BRP dual sport thumper. With it I can go either on or off road (chase my grandsons on a mini dirt bike) and in traffic it is excellent. With the XR650 you sit very high and can actually see inside the cab of a SUV, you have great maneuverability, and although it doesn't have the panache of my old Triumph, it still gives me much of what I am looking for in riding and is, I believe a great compromise to a regular street bike. At my age, motocross is out of the question, when I first got the BRP, I geared it down and threw on a set of knobbies and had a lot of fun with it in the dirt, however, after a couple of wipeouts that as a youth I would have recovered from in hours, it took me weeks to recover from and a ended up with a messed up knee, I have modified the bike for more street orientation and now use it to commute.

Go out and try a dual sport, or if you want to stick to the street, better yet, a Supermoto. I think you'll find the sports car will be gathering dust in the garage!!

"Motorcyclists know why dogs hang their heads out of the windows!!"

ps. My grandson and I recently did a commercial for motorcycle safety to be aired on 6 stations in the area. Proper gear and safe operating principles go a long way to removing some of the pitfalls of riding. See http://www.geocities.com/rgv_zazen/TRACMotorcycle.wmv

Keep the shiny side up!
Zeniac is offline   Reply With Quote