Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 05-14-2006, 01:04 PM   #91
stodd1111
Founding Member

Default Re: Farewell to Those Motorcycle Days.

I don't know if this guy realizes it yet, but he's already dead. He's living just to live longer, and giving up things that he enjoys.

stodd1111 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-14-2006, 01:06 PM   #92
stodd1111
Founding Member

Kind of reminds me of a joke I heard in my teens: "I knew a guy who gave up fattening foods, red meat, sex, and drugs. He was perfectly healthy right up until the suicide."

stodd1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 01:51 PM   #93
mikeodial
Founding Member

Well, as I write this from a hotel in Saudia Arabia (travel advisory anyone) we all have to take risks. The therapetic value of riding my bike far outweighs the risks, untold please, with 4 of our 6 family members riders, riding together is one of the greatest things we can do. We also ski, travel overseas to "dangerous" places and love each other and life.

I also respect the choice of others, but if we ran our lives based on statistics, we would not get out of bed in the morning. Or at least very carefully.

MY 2CS
mikeodial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 03:11 PM   #94
Brent_Meeker
Founding Member

Year before last, on my way up Hwy 1 to Laguna, I was stopped by a cop for riding past about 50 stopped cars waiting at a one-way-at-a-time stretch. Of course with my helmet on he couldn't tell how old I was; so he said, "How long have you been riding like that!?"

I said, "Fifty-two years."

That took him back a little, but after a short pause he said, "Well when are you gonna grow up!?"

I said, "That isn't in my plan."

He gave up with the lecture stuff, but he made me wait until all 50 cars went by.

It took me maybe ten minutes to repass them all - it was good fun.

This year I started racing at WSMC. Too old for MX now.

Brent Meeker
Brent_Meeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 03:43 PM   #95
Tampadoc
Registered Member

Truly a sad commentary. I mean, the guy does have some other options. It reminded me of a recent quote (can't recall who said it): Five days a week I treat my body like a temple. Two days a week I treat it like an amusement park.

Now, at age 57 I ride my bike ('04 Vulcan Nomad) to work at least three days a week and weekends are reserved for long rides. Since I live in West Central FL, I do this 12 months out of the year. I'll continue to do this until I get too old and decrepit to ride, or I bite the big one.

tampadoc@att.net

Tampadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 05:11 PM   #96
pudlepirate
Registered Member

to quote my hero All Pacino "you get killed walkin' your doggy!" I think it was from heat not sure though. as far as the risk involved in motorcycling, it is minor compared to other worries like heart desiese which still kills more americans than any other cause. of course I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.
pudlepirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 05:29 PM   #97
rmdower
Founding Member

I don't think I was complaining about the ticket. I was maiking a point about risk management. Everybody speeds in SoCal to some degree or another.

rmdower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 06:13 PM   #98
DaveFla
Founding Member

Was it Allan Girdler who wrote a great edit piece on how he had no patience or use for people who "used to ride motorcycles?" I bet JB knows.

Whenever I run across one of these folks, I'm usually polite but looking at my watch, pointedly. I've lost count of the guys who tell me they "rode everywhere until the kids were born." These types usually follow it up with some story of a drunken wheelie through the front yard with the pregger wifey looking on. It's at this point I agree: "motorcycles are dangerous, 'scuse me, gotta get rolling."

Man, those types are even worse than the nurses with the endless ER "abrasion lavage" stories.

DaveFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 06:20 PM   #99
socal_elder
Founding Member

I'm 52 and have been riding for 42 years. I have 4 bike and ride daily.

"You don't stop riding because you get old, you'll get old if you stop riding"
Old 05-14-2006, 06:45 PM   #100
Vlad
Registered Member

Default Dylan Thomas

Sorry I didn't think of it first. The old drunk welshman could write some poetry. Thanks.

Vlad
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote