Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 05-13-2006, 01:45 AM   #71
Fenton
Founding Member

Default Typical

''American citizens for making a concious choice to be ignorant. You people have no idea as to how little respect the world has for you."

Hey, if you don't like it move to Thailand or something. Thanks for the sweeping generalization, it keeps your posts short.

Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-13-2006, 03:57 AM   #72
bigdx
Founding Member

Default Re: New law spells doom for custom builders

Couple of misconceptions here.

There is no such thing as an EPA certified motor. Just about any motor can be jetted/tuned to meet EPA standards, and conversely, any motor can be tuned to be non compliant.

If you make use of a Dynojet/Powercommander kit on an otherwise 100% standard (EPA legal) motorcycle to get rid a surging or a flat-spot, you have more than likely made your bike to be out of compliance. I cannot think of anybody I know (sport bikers and cruisers ) who ride that have not cleaned anomalies in their power curve.

Many seemingly modifications, even something like altering your gear ratios, can bring your motorcycle out of compliance.

"Custom builders can now build EPA legal bikes Â…"

Not quite. Building EPA legal bikes and having them tested is very costly. Just another example of the little guy being squeezed while his productÂ’s impact on the environment is less than miniscule.

"rather than skirting the law which had previously allowed the customizers to avoid the regs that everyone else has to live with."

Just about all the sport bikes I see on the road have aftermarket exhausts on and more than likely would have had their fuel delivery systems remapped for said exhaust. They would all be out of compliance.

Nobody has had live with this cr*p. This impacts all bikers.

bigdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 05:21 AM   #73
tomk2
Founding Member

Yes, OF COURSE... right at the tail end of the CLINTON Administration ...

"The EPA issued their final emissions regulations for highway motorcycles for 49 states on December 23, 2003. These new regulations will become effective in stages, starting in 2006 and harmonizing with California 's standards in 2010."

tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 05:22 AM   #74
robb_millett
Registered Member

Uhh, I think the word you meant was "emissions" which are the gases produced from combustion, and that exit the exhaust pipe, as opposed to "munitions" which are, like, bullets and *****.

bigdx, the amount of money a person can or cannot afford - or is willing - to spend on a motorcycle is irrelevant to their "loserhood". by your comment, though, ,the impklication is that you yourself can spend more than that, which is fine , for you I suppose, but really indicates a level of immature conceit most adults would avoid, given the choice - well, maybe not most, if I'm going to be honest about my own observations over the course of my life, but certainly any of the adults who are halfway decent to hang out with.
robb_millett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 05:25 AM   #75
bigdx
Founding Member

Default Re: New Law Spells Doom for Custom Builders.

"I'd personal[l]y welcome noise reduction in the chopper market "

So nobody on a sport bike has a loud pipe? Get real.

IÂ’ll wager you anything, anywhere, anytime, that the average person finds the wail of an I4 much more offensive than the same decibel levels from a V-twin. In fact, a Harley sounds pleasing to the majority of folks. Same cannot be said of ricers Â…

Old 05-13-2006, 05:29 AM   #76
bigdx
Founding Member

Rob, thanks for your lesson in ethics.

If you had bothered to read the whole thread you would have grasped the context in which my post was made. You obviously have not.
Old 05-13-2006, 05:44 AM   #77
acecycleins
Founding Member

1- Custom bike builder's will not go out of business. 2- An entire market of motor builders can certainly make money off of building create motors for the new generation of builders. 3- you guys are reading the law correctly.

The "new epa law" states that a consumer may not build more than one "non-epa approved" bike in a lifetime. It makes clear exceptions for small scale custom bike builders. It allows incorporated small buisness owners to build a set number of these "non-appoved" bikes until the end of 2008. After that the motors will have to be epa approved> What dumba$$ out there doesn't believe that S&S and CCI and every other motor builder out there hasn't already been working on create fuel injected motors? The only thing custom build builders have to worry about is setting up a fuel injected bike. Every exhaust maker out there today have the solution in stock for epa approved exhaust systems. So, build yer damnnnnn bikes. The only real change is that it will be fuel injected by '08 and it won't be soooo loud.

For you garage builder's you get one more carb motor and that's it. After that you'll be setting up fuel injected bikes like the rest of the world. Bet on the fact that every state that requires DOT compliance on a custom build bike will have the ability to do epa (smog testing) on the bike at the same time.
Old 05-13-2006, 06:02 AM   #78
seruzawa
The Toad

I think that everyone should stop worrying. After all, this is the last bit of onerous regulation we'll be seeing from the EPA. Once the EPA has done this it will have achieved what it was designed to do and will stop issuing more and more and more regulations. We in modern society have lots of experience with this. We know that govt agencies after a point stop trying to justify their existences with ever-increasing regulation and willingly allow themselves to be cut back or disbanded.

There's nothing to worry about.
Old 05-13-2006, 06:32 AM   #79
gigantic
Registered Member

I hardly see ths as doom for the custom bike scene, it's paradigm shift, to be sure. there will be new rules, and with them new ways to work around them. this will create new opportunities for small/midsize entrepreneurs to create products in line with the new regs. some small builders won't be able to change and compete, but then, In Capitalism, the market place has always been Darwinistic, hasn't it? a plocked path for one businessman is an opportunity for another.
GSXR-750 #13 Spyder Leatherworks, TrackdayMag.com East coast staff.
gigantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 07:23 AM   #80
schizuki
Founding Member

You have an apt user name.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote