Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   New Law Spells Doom for Custom Builders. (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/3581-new-law-spells-doom-for-custom-builders.html)

bigdx 05-12-2006 12:13 PM

Re: New law spells doom for custom builders

You are such a loser that you are unable to be able to afford to spend more than 7 bills on a bike, so now you take pleasure in the fact that a number of custom builders that may lose their livelihood.

I do not know what stone you live under, but I know a number of ricers that use aftermarket pipes, aftermarket ignition modules and aftermarket air filters. Any of these items can land them with a $10000 per day fine until your meet EPA compliance. Very f*cking funny no?

Dumb ******* Â…

bigdx 05-12-2006 12:16 PM

Passed, and it is a bad one.

Any non compliance can land you a $10000 a day fine. (yes, ten grand) Change your airfilter to a K&N at your own peril ...

sarnali 05-12-2006 12:17 PM

You mean if you want a custom bike you'll have to DO IT YOURSELF ?????? What goes around comes around. Nowadays there's enough off the shelf stuff to get just about any look going.

Like bigjames said, all you need is a VIN and a license plate.

Buzglyd 05-12-2006 12:27 PM

You can still have someone else build it for you but you're only allowed one in your ENTIRE life!

Plus if you build one and then fall on hard times and have to sell it, you can't for 5 years.

bigdx 05-12-2006 12:34 PM

It is also for show only. You may not use it for commuting ...

seruzawa 05-12-2006 12:37 PM

The noose gets tighter and tighter.

Sorry, Buz. I guess I was engaging in an "isolated" opinion.

I'm really glad that I bought a new two-stroke snowmobile last year.

seruzawa 05-12-2006 12:38 PM

We all know how reluctant democrats are to pass restrictive environmental legislation...................

Buzglyd 05-12-2006 12:52 PM

They'll retroactively take it away from you.

Fringe kook!

rapier 05-12-2006 12:53 PM

What law exactly? Someone site the damn law. When it was passed?

As things work now such laws are attached to big packages like a hiway bill etc. What was this one attached to.

As things go now such laws are inserted into these big bills by one or two congress critters in the dead of night after they get some nice meals or campaign contributions. The package gets a name like 'The Motherhood and Freedom Restoration Act and passes because who can be against motherhood and freedom. So who was behind this law? I can't think of who wins from it except Harley and that is a huge stretch.

There is no way this law, own only one 'kit bike' could pass constitutional muster. Not that it will ever get there or if it does expect it about 2013.

While most of these things are inhently unsafe they don't get ridden anyway so such a law is really stupid.

This market is waaaaaay over saturated. They guy can ***** and moan about it and blame the government but the main problem is supply and demand. Maybe he should get together with some other custom builders and sell the DOD 10,000 custom bikes to be used by God only knows who and God only knows were. Perhaps stipulating all bikes must have an American Flag motif and call the bill the Stars and Stipes Forever act.

Buzglyd 05-12-2006 01:03 PM

According to the link, the EPA imposed these new restrictions in December 2000 right at the tail-end of the Clinton administratoin of course.

The emissions law was set to be phased in Jan. 2006. The EPA powers have already been delegated to it as part of the Clean Air Act.

Who could be against Clean Air?