Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   Florida Bill on 'Pocket Bikes' Advances. (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/3567-florida-bill-pocket-bikes-advances.html)

dbrunell 05-06-2006 05:49 PM

Re: Florida Bill on 'Pocket Bikes' Advances.

Typical case of legislators with misplaced priorities. I'm in S. Florida, but I don't remember the last time I saw a pocket bike zipping around.

caffine 05-06-2006 07:03 PM

They're still sleeping off Daytona.

caffine 05-06-2006 07:18 PM

What a bunch of crap! So the salesman didn't tell them that they couldn't drive their pocket bikes on roads and sidewalks -geeze! No foolin'? The parents should have been slapped! They had that excuse ready to blurt well before they even signed the check.

ncelik 05-07-2006 03:48 AM

Actually, I find this OK. What's wrong with full disclosure? I bet some people buying them have been told otherwise.

What's the alternative? Being able to lie to the consumer, and then the consumer sues you when he finds out latter? I do not find this being better, actually, since it puts money into lawyers pockets, this is worse.

Plus, whatever slows down the sales of these useless, cheap-s*it, single-use, chinese crap, is OK with me.

gaineso42 05-07-2006 12:25 PM

We see a lot of kids, 10/12 years old, zipping around on public streets. 2 months ago there were 2 deaths in Jacksonville 12 and 14 yo kids on main highways at dusk in rush hour traffic. The parents should be strung up for allowing the kids to ride these dang things. They should just be totally outlawed.

JMNSHO

jeffs 05-07-2006 04:35 PM

The alternative is to hold the consumer responsible for their actions. When's the last time you got out of a ticket or an arrest because you didn't know you were breaking the law... yea right!

The courts in this country are an embarassment. If anything, the parents of the dead kids should be in court defending themselves rather than being allowed to file suit against manufacturers and retailers.

In the end, it's probably just natural selection at work. If the parents are really too stupid to know that pocket bikes are illegal, then their kids were probably idiots as well. Saving them from themselves wouldn't have benefitted anyone...

nesbit 05-07-2006 05:45 PM

The merchant is to be criminalized for the act of the buyer? Here we go again! Another example of the completely dysfunctional and downward spiraling irrationality that is American governance today. After two years of battling the paternalists in Congress, we finally succeeded in educating these "liberal" baffoons about the fundamental Constitutional tenets of our political system - that a manufacturer or seller of a legally acknowledged and licensed product can not be held responsible for its misuse. I'm, of course, referring to the Protection of Lawful Commerce Act (Re: Firearms Industry Law Suits). Go ahead and put another label on the product if you must. Presumably, the purchaser can read it before he peels it off or obliterates it. After that, it's up to our law enforcement people and the courts if the product, any product, including an ice crusher, is misused by the consumer. Regrettably, don't expect much from them. Just look at how effectively they've handled the almost universal "hands-free" cell phone law fiasco. Right, let's give American business people, already crushed with confiscatory taxation and governmental operational minutia, another reason to not consider investing their money and energy. If we're going to start somewhere, perhaps we should begin by dismantling the American Trial Lawyers Association. These are the only folks who are benefiting from this kind of legislation, a term, by the way, which no longer has any relationship to the concept of problem resolution.

yellowduc_1 05-08-2006 04:01 AM

We went through a round of this stupidity here in utah. How a device that in no way even begins to meet even the minimum requirements for street use could be any thing but illegal escapes me. But the various city fathers had to "DO SOMETHING " so they passed more laws. All that was really required was to enforce the existing laws, but that isn't cool enough. What utter B.S.