Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 05-04-2006, 05:22 PM   #31
boru4761
Registered Member

Default Re: Indians, Harleys, Triumphs, and Fake Rolexes

I vote for a revival of the straight four. Make a deal with one of the big four to produce clones of one of there older but proven I4s Mount it longitudinally in the frame and do something cool with the right angle drive. Make it just a little faster than my father's Dyna and I would buy one myself just to keep the Indian-Harley rivalry alive. May I recommend the ZRX1200 motor?
boru4761 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-04-2006, 05:31 PM   #32
boru4761
Registered Member

I think some guys in Europe did just that. Someone posted in on here a few months ago. Very interesting and it did get great gas mileage.

boru4761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 05:37 PM   #33
Neal
Founding Member

I hate to interject too many facts ,but facts are Harley didnt import Aermacchis and rebadge them. In 1960 HD bought 51% of the motorcycle side of Aermacchi. The first one's imported were basically Aermacchi Ala verdes renamed sprints for this country. During the 60's even street bikes sold in Europe and Australia were badged as Aermacchi-harley davidson.They also made some 2 stroke stuff. The early bikes actually sold pretty well....the problem was some dealers didnt want to fool with em. Dealers such as Richmond harley actually sold more Aermacchi Harley than "regilar "harleys. i know the former owner very well--he can tell some amazing stories. harley bought 100 % of the company around the time AMF bought out Harley. Harley corporate had some major input into the 73/74 Sprints(sorta messed em up).By this time the Honda 4 strokes were killing the Sprints and sales were plummeting. Harley made a decision which killed the Aermacchi line----abandon the 4 stroke series and concentrate on street and dual purpose 2 strokes to compete with Suzuki and Kawi.They were basically shyte. In 78 HD sold Aermacchi to Cagiva(the first Cagivas were rebadged harleys! ) I could write more but Ive bored you enough. The Aermacchi story is much more complicated than simply importing Aermacchis and rebadging them and the failure is not due to lack of acceptance by US customers or lack of history but some bad decisions by management and lack of dealer support in most

areas.
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 05:48 PM   #34
Neal
Founding Member

The plane division split from the MC division before harley bought in. The 69-72 Sprints were the best street Sprints sold here. Harley screwed em up in 73 with the heavy frames. If HD had put the knucklehead on the 69-72s instead of waiting till 73.it woulda been sweet. The Europeans got the good stuff!
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 06:05 PM   #35
mikenomad
Founding Member

Try reading the whole article instead of just that one line. Maybe you'll figure out what it's about.
mikenomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 06:07 PM   #36
mikenomad
Founding Member

Indian originally built V-twins and inline fours. All they have to do is build either or both of these configurations again, but they have to design their own engine, not plagiarize somebody else's blueprints.
mikenomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 06:46 PM   #37
nesbit
Founding Member

The last proprietary Indian engine, circa 2003, I forget the moniker they attached to it, had a rocker box that looked like the twist top off a Mott's apple sauce jar. This they put on their top of the line "Chief", or whatever, with a $30K entry fee. You know, you just can't go back. Let the marque, which produced some nice machines back in the 1920's & 30's, just rest in peace. Enough already!
nesbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 01:26 AM   #38
xlr8r
Founding Member

Default Re: Rolex WHAT?!!

Five minutes a month on a mechanical watch is fabulous. Back in the days before digital watches, a minute a day was considered okay, and thirty seconds a day was good. BTW, Rolex reckon that their watches should keep time to ten seconds a day - which is five minutes a month.
xlr8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 01:31 AM   #39
xlr8r
Founding Member

You're right. New machines should earn their repsect through excellence, not just the name. So what we need is a modern V-twin with four-valve heads, OHC, fuel injection, no crappy chain primary drive, an up-to-date 6-speed tranny, and distinctive styling touches. Oh, and made in the US as well. So that would be Victory, then. Make mine a Hammer.
xlr8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 07:41 AM   #40
sarnali
Founding Member

Aermacchi as a corporation got it's start in WW1 building aircraft the same as BMW and to this day is still a big player in aviation. Motorcycles were a sideline for them
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote