Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 04-28-2006, 09:06 AM   #11
schizuki
Founding Member

Default Re: Help me make a decision....

A V-twin is a great choice for ME/NH - the roads are twisty (and bumpy), so top-weighted powerbands are pretty useless (and you'd be dead before you hit top speed). You want that V-twin torque powering out of corners.

I'd go with the V-Strom for reliability. And while you didn't mention it, it's de rigeur for people to suggest bikes not on your list, so... have you considered the SV-650 or 1000? I bought a Bandit 600 for "this bike has to do everything" reasons, but if I had to do it over again, I'd probably get the 650S.

Check out the schedule at NHIS this summer. There's lots of weekend club racing. No reason to pay the extra money to get into the grandstands - there's some bleachers at a corner where you can see the racers zip by. Good excuse for a ride.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-28-2006, 09:24 AM   #12
nesbit
Founding Member

Regarding your re-entry in the fold and your locale, give some thought to riding position comfort and control. A more upright riding position might be more to your liking after about 1/2 hour in the saddle of bikes like the Buell "Long". A windshield or 1/2 fairing of some sort is another item that many riders overlook in a daily rider. Naked's are great in the nice weather, so long as you can deal with bugs/road debris/and rain, but for a daily rider, the value of a shield is invaluable, especially one that is easily detached. Cost is, of course, very relevant, as well. There's not that many perfect options for you in the under $10K category and it appears your already thinking about the V-Strom - a good choice, especially because it has EFI, fairing, and reasonably upright seating. Lastly, if you plan to do a lot of 2-up with luggage, you'll want to test ride with your significant other to see how satisfied you're going to be with power/torque performance of the machines your considering in the graded mountainous environment your in. But, in the final analysis, you've got to consider more that just the practical side - you've got to love or at least like the aesthetics (the look, the sound, the feel) of the machine. Do it!!!! & good luck!
nesbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 09:46 AM   #13
davyt
Founding Member

This is terribly good advice.

Any streetbike with a lot of suspension travel is going to be relatively tall.

Ride something--anything--for a season and you may just find that what you think you want now is not what you want later. And while you're scaling the (re)learning curve, dropping a used/cheaper bike won't produce the anguish that a scuffed up Ducati will...

I don't think I'd carry a laptop in/on a bike, either: Burnsie's courier bag suggestion is a pretty good one.
davyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 09:57 AM   #14
sean11
Founding Member

take a look at the aprilia futura. great bike. good, watertight hardbags, though some large laptops won't fit. good power, great ergos. some don't get great mileage but i am told that the latest efi map will fix that. also, you can but a lightly used one pretty cheap. i paid about 8.5k for mine with 1100 miles on the clock. i get around 30mpg out of mine, but still running the 01 efi map.
sean11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 10:07 AM   #15
PeterH
Founding Member

I came back to riding at your age (a long time ago) starding on used standards and went through the full gamut of sports bikes, sports tourers and dual sports ranging from 250 (Ninja) through 1300 (Hayabusa) with a couple of big bore scooters thrown in. All of them were great in their own way but one stands out as the bike for all seasons, the BMW 650. Of course it wasn't as exciting as my R1 nor as cool as my Ducs but it was reliable, and as comfortable as an old shoe.
PeterH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 11:15 AM   #16
Neal
Founding Member

Good one LR;you've been lame lately but maybe you are getting your form back.
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 11:15 AM   #17
Chukchi
Founding Member

I have three suggestions...V-Strom, V-Strom, and V-Strom. The type of area you live in is what the V-Strom was made for. If you haven't ridden for 20 years, the 650 will have PLENTY of power for anything you throw at it, and you will think it is the best riding/handling, most powerful motorcycle you have ever owned.For the money you can't go wrong, and even discounting the money factor, you still can't go wrong with the V-Strom 650. It is an awesome motorcycle. Save some cash and at the same time get yourself a big sh*t eating grin that just won't go away...buy a V-Strom.
Chukchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 11:17 AM   #18
JWaller
Founding Member

Yeah, the KLR650. I've got a Triumph Sprint ST and I've always wanted a dual-sport. I was able to pick up a used KLR for a song and dance and have been enjoying it quite a bit. It certainly doesn't have the power of the Triumph but somehow, it's more fun to ride. It has enough power to get around on the street, albeit not as quickly, and probably just a little more than a dirt newbie like myself needs. And since the KLR is so inexpensive, I can ride it hard,abuse it really, without fear of breaking the bank if you should crash. And it's cheap to insure. Now that I've tried a dual-sport, I've got the bug and will probably never again buy any other type of bike. Dual-sports are the way to go. My next new bike purchase will probably be a V-Strom or some other more powerful dual-sport.
JWaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 11:25 AM   #19
kdurrell
Founding Member

No, the answer is always no...
kdurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 11:26 AM   #20
Tomas_P
Founding Member

I really don't care what motorbike you end up with, I just don't want you to regret having gone through life without one. If you don't start riding again, you will regret it, my friend. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon, and for the rest of your life...

Tomas_P is offline   Reply With Quote