Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 04-27-2006, 01:24 PM   #61
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Proper Break-In Technique(s)?

He chose the Dinette set...
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-27-2006, 01:25 PM   #62
Jiffy
Registered Member

Mental giant. From your lack of reading comprehension skills I can now see what you mean by dense bikers. Thanks.
Jiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 01:28 PM   #63
Jiffy
Registered Member

Mental Giant. The guys that break in the bikes for motojournalists are from the factory. Again reading comprhension is key.
Jiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 02:36 PM   #64
12er
Founding Member

Thats what I've always done and was told to do by many o engine builder.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 04:32 PM   #65
yellowduc_1
Founding Member

Actually, this is just a rehash of the instructions that used to come in every set of Perfect Circle rings. If the piece is machined properly, and, in this, the age of robots, it is, you are good to go. You should be more concerned with improper dealer setup than the machine work from the factory.
yellowduc_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 05:29 PM   #66
FrankS1
Founding Member

Default Re: Proper Break-In Technique(s) for 2-strokes?

Granted, the EPA frowns on them today, but some of us have an antique around. When I was overhauling my Yamaha RD400, the instructions were to wash off the honing grit in hot water, dry and oil the cylinders immediately. One writer insisted that the proper method was to omit the oiling and let the cylinders rust. Sounds like the 2-stroke equivalent of Mototune to me. I have to admit that I didn't have the guts to try it.

Any other MOfolks have any experience in the area?
FrankS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 02:53 PM   #67
yellowduc_1
Founding Member

Default Re: Proper Break-In Technique(s) for 2-strokes?

Trust me, rust and machined parts are mutually exclusive!!!!!!! The hot soap and water wash is actually very good advice. Dirt during assembly is a sure fire way to a premature failure and the waste of good money,time,parts, and machine work. If you get the parts warm enough during the wash and can rinse with hot water the moisture will evaporate and require only a light oil coat. Happy engine building!
yellowduc_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 03:45 PM   #68
Fenton
Founding Member

Am I the only one that knows they won't have the same bike for two years?

Run the thing at a good clip, change the oil at 80-100 miles, run till your 600 services and go nuts after that.

Sell it before your 24 months are up.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 09:19 AM   #69
P-nut
Founding Member

I just found this thread after reading the Motoman article. I think this may be the funniest thread I have ever seen. I'm no mechanic so I'm trying to get as much information or misinformation as I can. I would like to see the "facts and data" in favor of the manual break-in. I don't want to hear "because its in the manual". I just want hard facts and data to draw my own conclusions. I have read Motomans entire site and he makes some valid points. Out of curriosity I just read the intro to my manual and the whole thing seems to be about "liability".
P-nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 12:53 AM   #70
P-nut
Founding Member

just found this thread after reading the Motoman article. I think this may be the funniest thread I have ever seen. I'm no mechanic so I'm trying to get as much information or misinformation as I can. I would like to see the "facts and data" in favor of the manual break-in. I don't want to hear "because its in the manual". I just want hard facts and data to draw my own conclusions. I have read Motomans entire site and he makes some valid points. Out of curriosity I just read the intro to my manual and the whole thing seems to be about "liability".
P-nut is offline   Reply With Quote