Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 04-27-2006, 07:15 AM   #31
johnnyb
Founding Member

Default Re: Proper Break-In Technique(s)?

Crap man i break all my engines in wit the Prolong engine protectant method, drain all the oil then run at high rpm for hours while pouring dirt and gravel into the head, it really roughens up the bores for excellent ring seal. Lubrication is a myth, modern metallurgy is so good oil is not really necessary it is Big Oil behind the hole thing.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-27-2006, 07:16 AM   #32
Tigercub
Founding Member

Could well be, but not because of the break-in. There is a range of quality that every manufacturer strives to achieve within the costs allowed. Two bikes from the same manufacturer could have performance difference within 10% of each other.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 07:31 AM   #33
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Well maybe Wings are built in the USA and they forgot to consult the Japanese engineers.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 07:49 AM   #34
iamz
Founding Member

".... Fast and hard gets me there quicker that's all. (As I get older - easy and slow feels better, except towards the big finish)."

I'm sorry,...got distracted,...what are we talkin' about?
iamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 07:52 AM   #35
gniewko
Registered Member

Man, oh man, you sure aren't an engineer. Did you even read the MotoMan article?

The issue here is seating the piston rings. To explain this using your (admittedly imperfect) analogy - sure, it doesn't matter how fast you file the piece of metal, but it does matter how hard you press down on the file. When you go too easy on the engine, there isn't enough combustion pressure in the cylinder to press the piston ring against the cylinder bore, so the two surfaces never mate correctly. If your break-in process is too easy, you will just gently file down the cylinder hone, but because of the lack of pressure the piston ring won't mate with the bore.

Just read the article and then comment.
gniewko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 07:54 AM   #36
sarnali
Founding Member

break in recomendations like keeping the rpms down, low throttle openings and what not are the manufacturers way of trying to get nit-wits like you ksquirt, to take it easy and get used to your shiny new motorcycle before you go hammering it.

The only things that need breaking in are tires to scrub the mold release compound off and brake pads to seat them to the disc. The rest is all smoke and mirrors, modern engines transmissions and clutches don't need "breaking in"....nothing is going to wear in or seat itself. Just change the oil and filter at the first recomendation of 600 or 1000 miles and check the chain and cable tension because these do stretch a little when new, go over all the nuts and bolts with a torque wrench to make sure everything is snug and you're good to go. You're own engineering background and basic thermodynamics should tell you that anything tight or improperly assembled is going to fail, not "wear in"...if it has to "wear in" then it'll rattle around like a rock crusher when cold and would warrent a trip to the dealer from me.

I've followed the break it in fast it'll run fast theory on ALL my new bikes and none of them have smoked or used oil or made weird noises...... however you're absolutely right kpee, you should baby your new bike and stick to (very) small throttle openings just like they said.

My bikes out in the parking lot right now, just like it's been for the last month while I've ridden it in everyday and trips to Ocean Shores and Mt. St. Helens on my days off....where's yours?
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 07:59 AM   #37
sarnali
Founding Member

9-11 big oil 9-11 has nothing to 9-11 do with it 9-11 it's all 9-11 about homeland 9-11 security 9-11.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 08:11 AM   #38
johnnyb
Founding Member

Personally I like to ride kind of easy for a couple 10 min. rides when the thing is brand spanking, then change the oil to get all the loose crap outta there. Then ride like scalded cat but varying rpm whole time and lots o trailing throttle too to suck out the bad vapors and melancholia...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 08:33 AM   #39
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"My bikes out in the parking lot right now, just like it's been for the last month while I've ridden it in everyday and trips to Ocean Shores and Mt. St. Helens on my days off....where's yours?"

He can only ride his as far as the battery charger cord allows.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:40 AM   #40
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

I HOLD THAT SUCKER WIDE OPEN 'TILL SHE LOOSENS UP SOME.

THEN I GET ME SOME OF THAT THAR WYNNS MOTOR HONEY ENGUN TREATMENT STUFF AFTER THE 1ST EARL CHANGE.

AFTER THAT WOOHOO LOOK OUT BILLY BOB, I'M LOADED FOR BEAR.