Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 04-27-2006, 03:51 AM   #11
dldean
Registered Member

Default Re: Proper Break-In Technique(s)?

[b] I used his technique breaking in my 2005 Harley ultra on the inital ride back to Portland from Missoula.

Now that I have 8000 some odd miles on the machine, I can say that I am very pleased with how it runs. I can pull redline in 5th gear and I average 50 to 60 miles per gallon depending on terrain traversed. Let me just say that pulling redline in 5th gear will buy you a $1000 ticket in the great state of Oregon so ride with care.

dldean is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-27-2006, 03:51 AM   #12
Pacman45
Founding Member

I've been riding since 1972...and since 1979 on street bikes...

Personally, a proper Break-In is when you accelerate then decellerate often to avoid running at the same RPM... shift at 75% of the max rpm then down shift etc...vary your speed, shift-shift-shift and change the oil/filter at 500 kms.

Never had problems doing it that way...

*I don't believe that bringing the rpm to the red-line is good to a new motor!

Al.

Al. (2004 GoldWing & 2004 CBR1000RR)
Pacman45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 03:55 AM   #13
bollert
Registered Member

I can't remember which magazine, either Cycle World or Motorcyclist two issues ago had an article about how to treat your new bike. Many subjects were covered, but one was break-in. They interviewed factory technicians who were responsible for properly preparing bikes for motojouranlist review, including proper breakin. It was the holy grail of comments, as the guys said basically what mototune dude said. Not to that detail, but just that there are no real RPM limitations, more in the method you ride. If you have a copy, take a look as I can't remember the details. FYI, my last two bikes ZX-10R and M109R I've broke in loosely based on the mototune method. I'm in no hurry to hold it WFO so I take my time, but I do ride the bike and sample all it's power and torque during break in, I don't hold it at redline through the gears though. I've never experienced any problems.
bollert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 04:16 AM   #14
anrajala
Founding Member

Wonder when a progressive technical publication (guys at Motorcycle, are you reading this?) gets 2 new bikes, runs them in using different methods, and then test the power & piston leak. Should be interesting.

-cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 04:43 AM   #15
ksquid
Banned

Right so kawasaki just puts the sticker on there for yucks..What legal reason? A sticker isn't going to stop some idiot who reads something stupid by another idiot who is a grease monkey with no formal training. How about an economic reason? We should all thank this idiot for increasing warranty claims. Also we shoud thank bikers who refuse to heed the advice of the sticker and in the owners manual . bikers are such mental giants sometimes.. Sometimes I hide the fact that I ride cause of this.
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 04:48 AM   #16
ksquid
Banned

Hmm I wonder how Kawasaki, Honda, Yamaha arrived at the proper break-in process? Do think during engine development and testing they learned what works best? How many engines do you suppose gets tested at Honda during engine development? Come on guys read the fracking manual. ... break in secrets my ass
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 05:26 AM   #17
crevans
Founding Member

How many lawsuits do you suppose the big four would get in if they advocated using Motoman's "Street Break In" procedures in their manuals? How about when some fool got themselves killed doing them on the interstate?

I wonder what technique the big four use to break in their race engines?

The manual's break in procedure is there as a CYA measure.
crevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 06:06 AM   #18
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

I like how frustrated KPaul is on this topic. Must be his overly anal engineering side coming out in this.

Let's combine this topic with helmet laws, the superiority of V-Twins, Harleys price/performance ratio, and some lame polarizing political topic and watch him implode in vortex of statistical data.

The next 10 days in Seattle has only one day with a chance of rain with mostly everything in the upper 60s and low 70s. Go for a "fracking" ride!

BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 06:10 AM   #19
drthompson65
Founding Member

I agree with just about everyone on here.. I had a friend with a new Busa break his bike in how this guy recommended.. well in under 3k he needed a new motor. Granted it was replaced by warranty but still.. Every bike I've ever owned I've broken in via the manual and I've had NO PROBLEMS. I will take a tad less horsepower to get a engine that lasts.
2004 Ducati 999 Mono Yellow (Wrecked May 06)
2006 Ducati 999S Mono Black (Replaced Wife June 06)

1972-2000 A collection of mini, dirt, and road bikes to vast too list..
drthompson65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 06:15 AM   #20
Buzglyd
Founding Member

You're assuming the manuals are written by the engineers. The break-in section is likely written by attorneys.

In an article in American Rider, Joe Minton described touring the Honda Goldwing assembly line and watched as Honda engineers took each Wing off the line at final assembly and wound them to redline before shipping them.

Minton is an advocate of the "large throttle opening" type of break-in procedure.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote