Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 04-26-2006, 06:32 PM   #1
svtech
Registered Member

Default Re: MSF Basic Rider Course: Unsafe At Any Speed

Entertaining story. Would you consider naming me as beneficiary of your insurance before you "hit the road"?

F P
svtech is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-26-2006, 06:37 PM   #2
ksquid
Banned

Fun read Good job.. "Now get your own bike and practice" That's what my instructor told me. Practice so much that braking, shifting, swerving, cornering, and u-turns become an instinct that you don't have to think about when you are on the road. It was good advice for me. My second time on the road I had to make a quick stop when I teenager made a left turn in front of me down by the mall.
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 06:45 PM   #3
caffine
Registered Member

Very well written, Cheesebeast! Great gear review as well.

I had only a vague idea what went on in the MSF courses.

Back in the day, I took a written test, rode with some friends for a while with my permit, then took the road test....in the rain!

caffine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 06:54 PM   #4
caffine
Registered Member

Did you have any riding experience before you took the MSF course, or did you just hit the road cold when you got your license?
caffine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 08:55 PM   #5
KLRer
Founding Member

Cheesebeast, you're a writer of considerable skill with a sense of humor a little like Twain's. Well maybe thats going too far, but that section on turning off the bike to find neutral and then shifting into first gear, a gear you'd already found several times.........funny stuff.
KLRer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 10:53 PM   #6
brandenw
Founding Member

My MSF course was similar to that one, but before I even went I had been riding for a month or two already and being under 18 had to take the class to get my license (and I didn't have to take a road test with someone following me because of that). Anyways, I was on a black version of the Honda 250 and was amazed at how junky it seemed compared even to my parent's 02 1100 Shadow and late 80's (yeah, scary) Pacific Coast "Accord"/"scooter on steroids".

Dangerous bike..
brandenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 01:39 AM   #7
dragcab
Founding Member

Excellent writing. The mo staff should hire you to be one of their highly paid writers.

My msf riding class experience was similar here in the cleveland, ohio area, except that we lucked out with good weather, and the course only costs $25. Speaking of a bargain!

I had been riding a new v-star 1100 for a couple of months when my name was drawn, so I really had some sea legs so to speak, and also passed that first time through. I was 57 at that time, and had not riden for 37 years. The first year of riding seemed to have the most close calls and vivid learning experiences on the road. Now I am 61 and have a Valkyrie and a vfr.

Enjoy whatever bike you get and always ride safe. There is no such thing as being too cautious when it comes to riding.
dragcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 01:49 AM   #8
tleddy
Founding Member

VERY (!) well written piece. If you do not write for a living, you should at least consider it.

Tillman
tleddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 03:03 AM   #9
gr8shandini
Registered Member

I'm really suprised that no one dumped a bike in your class. The first thing they asked when I got to mine was if anyone had never driven a car with a manual transmission. About half the class raised their hands. Then they asked if there was anyone there who couldn't ride a bicycle. About 5 hands stayed up. At that point I knew I was in for some entertainment.

After about 1 1/2 hours of starts and stops, almost everyone got the hang of the clutch, but there was still one guy who just couldn't grasp the concept. The only way he could get under power was to rev her up, dump the clutch, and try to recover from the whiplash. Instead of holding up the whole class even longer, the instructors must have thought he would figure it out as we progressed through the course, so we headed out to the cones. Aside from nearly jerking his helmet off every time he started, all was going well for this fellow. Until the 90 degree turns, that is. Obviously the phrase "feather the clutch" had zero meaning to our boy wonder who was conveniently placed directly in front of me for this exercise. When he got to the turn, the clutch came all the way in and the throttle stayed where it was. Believe it or not, but a CB250 can make quite a racket at redline. It can also perform a pretty nice wheelie when you dump the clutch at that throttle setting. I guess our intrepid rider figured he'd had enough at this point and literally stepped off the bike. The Honda, on the other hand, was perfectly happy to troll along upright until it hit a car at the other end of the parking lot.

All of that was funny enough that I nearly dumped my ride from laughing so hard, but the kicker was yet to come. As the instructors were asking him to go home and practice on a manual transmission car before coming back he almost starts crying and says "but I just bought a GSX-R600 and my insurance company won't cover me until I pass this class." I guess sometimes insurance companies are smarter than I give them credit for.
gr8shandini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 03:26 AM   #10
ZephyrZX
Registered Member

OMG! Was the parked car alright??
ZephyrZX is offline   Reply With Quote