Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 04-27-2006, 04:29 AM   #11
ksquid
Banned

Default Re: MSF Basic Rider Course: Unsafe At Any Speed

I had some dirt bike experience when I was kid but not enough to count.. I bought my bike and headed for some large parking lots. I then praticed the same MSF drillls. For the breaking drill I gradually increased speed. My first bike is/was a 2001 ZX6R Ninja. ..
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-27-2006, 05:04 AM   #12
Cheesebeast
Registered Member

Thanks all- I went this morning to the DMV to get my motorcycle rider endorsement added to my driver's license. I was surprised to find the parking lot partitioned by orange cones. The parking lot was being strafed by bobbing and weaving Yamasazonda 600cc machines. The riders were all shorn of helmets, and they were all youts'.

I guess this is the other route to getting your Motorcycle license...

When I went in to the office, the state trooper was there getting some more orange cones out of a closet. I presented my Basic Rider completion card to the DMV lady, and the state trooper noticed this. He said: "You are lucky you went that route."

"Why?" I asked innocently.

He nodded at the swirling wolf pack snorting around the parking lot outside. "Cause," he said, "...I am only going to pass two of them."

He was grinning when he exited the office.
Cheesebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 06:04 AM   #13
humhead
Registered Member

Great story. Here in NJ the MSF courses are free (courtesy of the division of law & public saftey)

I rode a 200cc Suzuki DR on/off road bike with less than 30 miles on it. The Instructors were great.

The course was given at the local national guard base. there was a derelict tank at one end of the parking lot & picnic tables with retired attack aircraft nearby. (Would you like napalm with your sandwich, sir?) A great experience & best of all it was FREE!!
humhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 06:29 AM   #14
fastoldman
Founding Member

Thanks Cheesebeast. Nice laughs this morning.

By the way, you're spot on about the MA drivers. I'm currently in Boston for a spell, and I cannot believe how terrible the drivers are. They really don't expect to use the turn signals, ever. Expect the unexpected. I thought I had seen the crappiest of all drivers in Portland, OR where we have the balls out Cali drivers mixing with the superduper slow and polite, yet easy to anger, OR drivers. But no - these MA freaks are incredibly stupid and unpredictable.

To quote the best movie of all time, Biker Boyz, "Burn rubber, not your soul", Cheesebeast.
fastoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 06:52 AM   #15
Cheesebeast
Registered Member

The one place I can recommend you visit in Mass. is the Vanson Leather Factory Store- in Fall River, Massachusetts. It is about 50 miles south of Boston, and get some directions prior to going there. The reason to visit Vanson is they have an extensive used/sales rack of leather gear at smokin' good deals (less than 1/2 retail).

Some of it is REALLY flexible in price (make offer). Stuff that has the rider's name engraved on it, for instance. I bought some used stuff there and now if I can only figure out why everyone keeps calling me Frank...

Once you are finished at Vanson hop on a plane and don't relax until the wheels are up- Mass drivers are OUT TO GET YOU.

Old 04-27-2006, 09:24 AM   #16
brandenw
Founding Member

Congrats on the license. One lady in the class I was in failed and she freaked out and starting yelling.. It's sad, really, that in almost 10 hours of riding that they can't grasp even the most basic concepts of riding.

I think that in those little parking lots it would just be so much easier to handle the little bikes they provide than the 600cc bikes, what a shame. I wonder how many would've passed if they took the same class as you.
brandenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 10:41 AM   #17
Cheesebeast
Registered Member

Judging from the expense of the bikes they were riding, they could afford to take the class. Then again, what price would you put on having to hang out for a weekend with a buncha dorks? I think they would lose beaucoup street "rep" for doing that.

Ah well, what do I know? I am starting to understand why there are hundreds of street bikes at a local salvage place I visited recently.

Hell, I am even going to get a break on my insurance for taking the class. It really is a no brainer.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:49 AM   #18
brandenw
Founding Member

Who would pass up a chance to join the HA?

I think I'd rather have my endorsement than care about who I was in the class with to get it.. Of course, many people care more about image than riding.
brandenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 12:16 PM   #19
jhenzie
Founding Member

I had to take the MSF because, for some insane reason my British license is not valid here.

I hae to say that I was absolutely amazed that taking the MSF is all it takes to get out on the road.

In the UK they have an, albeit shorter (1 day), course called the CBT, that qualifies you for a 125CC bike with a learner plate (Not allowed on the freeway or carry a pillion).

To qualify for a real bike you have to take a ridden test (40 minutes) with an instructor following you. Putting your foot down on the u-turn is an immediate fail. Locking the back wheel on the emergency stop is likewise an immediate fail.

Letting someone out on any bike they please after the MSF is madness.

I am not dissing the good people who teach the thing, I just think the standard is very low, especially considering the number of people who choose cars as an appropriate venue to answer cell phones, put on make up and read the news paper.

Just my .02 cents.

BTW its not that I am perfect, recently wrecked my KAWA (OUCH)

jhenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 12:24 PM   #20
bbtowns
Founding Member

OK, I'm hooked. What are you getting as your first bike?